The Last Frontier: Water Chemistry

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FightingBob

Reaction score
So I just brewed up an IIPA with Safale US-05. I just tried a hydo sample and it suggests that it will be one of my best beers to date. Now I'm going to dry hop it and then carb it.

Why is it one of my best to date? Because for the first time I feel I nailed the pH and water chemistry spot on. Hopefully It tastes just as good after I carb it.

You've probably heard the story before: I tried to emulate a water profile of a certain city and my beer turned out like crap. This time I used a combo of the Water Chemistry primer thread on HBT and John Palmer's RA chart. I can't say enough good things about both!

:mug:

Nice, congrats! I'm still tweaking my water each brew trying to find the perfect water for IPA/IIPA.

Fightingbob. I just went through the same thing and hope my first beer with new knowledge works out as yours.

I mineralized my water for an IPA. Crossing fingers.

The really big key was knowing where you start with your own water--especially with sulfates and chloride. Ward labs is $16 well spent.

I hope it works out for you Grinder. I bet our water is pretty similar in some respects.

Latest posts

Back