The [Horribly Unpopular] Soccer Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You clearly weren't watching and I'm not taking the bait any more. Discussion over.

you're right...I only saw this part of the match
yyE93Lo.gif

Discussion over.

you're right again - no dvds to be made this year - 26 years & counting - can't win @ the bridge - face it bro it's the truth

Merde! Ze foxes are the queens of the ze balle (well done Leicester) and ze Saints are once again ze ugly sisters! Damn damn damn ze magnificent fox people's!

Looks like Liverpool and Sevilla for the Europa final, and (as I figured) a Madrid Derby for the Champions League final. Both should prove a lot of fun to watch. I don't have an explicit problem with LFC, so I hope they take Sevilla if only because they've made such a turnaround with Klopp. And I'm definitely pulling for Atleti over Real Madrid (and not even because of Bale and Modric).

Merde! Ze foxes are the queens of the ze balle (well done Leicester) and ze Saints are once again ze ugly sisters! Damn damn damn ze magnificent fox people's!

IMHO the Saints play good footie - they totally spanked Man City the other day - I think them & West Ham will become more than Giant Killers because of the new TV deal Prem teams are about to receive

Oof, check out this guy from the USL (US 3rd division) Pittsburgh Riverhounds kicking an opponent in the spine:

pamilrcoc85ysbayvcqy.gif

Absolutely nasty, it actually sent the kicked player (for NYRB II) to the hospital. Hopefully he makes a full recovery.

Did you guys hear about that kid from the Cameroon national team dropping dead on the field. 23 years old ... Hard to figure out

Oof, check out this guy from the USL (US 3rd division) Pittsburgh Riverhounds kicking an opponent in the spine:

pamilrcoc85ysbayvcqy.gif

Absolutely nasty, it actually sent the kicked player (for NYRB II) to the hospital. Hopefully he makes a full recovery.

I wondered if the NYRB used the N-word? I know from my experience, I would lose it & go mental. Not trying to justify the violence, just saying I have been there & done that.

Did you guys hear about that kid from the Cameroon national team dropping dead on the field. 23 years old ... Hard to figure out

the crazy thing was the fact he was only on the pitch for 7 minutes. I heard the authorities are looking into medical malpractice of the ambulance crew. There is a belief he should have been able to survive his trip to the hospital.

Well if any racial slurs were used, nobody said anything about it, including the kicker, Romeo Parkes, who apologized on Twitter. Now, the guy getting kicked did just get a red card, it was apparently a pretty heated game, but still, that's no excuse.

A crazy week of MLS action, let's start with the big controversy in Columbus.

Columbus Crew Melt Down
Now normally "melt down" is a bit of an exaggeration, but in this case it really is the best way to describe the situation. After a five minute long argument between Kei Kamara, their best striker, and Federico Higuaín over who got to take the penalty kick to make the game 4-1 in the Crew's favor, Columbus preceded to give up 3 goals to let the Impact tie things up. After the game Kamara said that he doesn't rely on Higuain, the Crew's #10, to provide him any help, instead he relies on the other midfielders. There's a pretty good break down here:

Kamara on PK Incident

Kamara might have a point, Higuain, has only given Kamara 4 assists on his goals, other midfielders for the Crew have given as many or more to Kamara; you'd think a #10 would have more assists on the #9's 25 goals than that. I suspect this is a long festering wound though, Higuain for years was THE man at Columbus, but the Crew didn't see real success until Kamara came in last season, stealing much of the spotlight from the Argentinian. On the other hand, arguing that Higuain cost him the golden boot seems pretty selfish, particularly for an award that is usually a consolation prize (it's pretty rare in MLS for a Golden Boot winner to be on the championship team). Ultimately however, responsibility for this has to fall in Greg Berhalter; one of the few solid bedrock responsibilities you have as a coach is preventing arguments like this one from playing out on the field, and while Berhalter took responsibility for not setting one definite PK taker, he hasn't said much about why he wasn't able to head this off at the pass. After the lousy start the Crew have had to the season and this big dust up, Berhalter's seat should be getting pretty warm, and if I was an owner I'd have some serious questions for the coach.

Whoever you agree with I have to say that I'd much rather see athletes give interview like this than the usual canned and dull responses from athletes. Predictably, many people have come out of the woodwork to criticize Kamara for not "keeping it in the locker room", but what would they have rather heard? Some canned response like "Well we just gotta battle back and fight for each other"? We always say we want more insightful and honest commentary from athletes in interviews, but when they say something we don't like we pile on them and call them entitled or arrogant. Do we want our athletes honest or do we want them to tell us what we want to hear?

Giovani Dos Santos is On Fire
Just in time for the Copa America, Giovani Dos Santos has seemed to find his scoring boots for the LA Galaxy. While he struggled after coming in mid year last year, Dos Santos has now racked up 5 goals in 4 games giving him 6 overall for the season. I said the Galaxy need someone to replace Keane as he ages out, and Dos Santos looks to be the man. The Galaxy still have defensive issues, they gave up 2 goals to a badly outmatched Revolution team at home, but if they can keep scoring then it doesn't really matter.

Vancouver Gets a Big Win
Vancouver beat the Timbers 2-1 at home, getting them some desperately needed points and putting them in the lead for the Cascadia Cup. It seems likely that Vancouver will once again hoist the derby trophy as they have beaten both Portland and Seattle, putting them in the lead. Perhaps more importantly, Vancouvers new designated player, Masato Kudo, finally got his first goal and a game winner. If the Whitecaps can warm up as the summer wears on into the Copa America it's very possible they could take a sizeable lead as few of their players will be on international duty this summer.

Well if any racial slurs were used, nobody said anything about it, including the kicker, Romeo Parkes, who apologized on Twitter. Now, the guy getting kicked did just get a red card, it was apparently a pretty heated game, but still, that's no excuse.

Again I am not using that as an excuse, but I have been called the n-word before & I have lost my mind. If you want to call me immature then that is fine, but just once trying wearing the shoe on the other foot & see how you would react. Also we weren't on the field so we don't know. A similar situation comes to mind is what happened to Zinedine Zidane & Marco Materazzi in extra time of a World Cup Final. Anyone can lose their mind at the right point of time.

Well, like I said, there's no indication that happened, even from Romeo Parkes or from the referee or players that were right there. Is it possible? Absolutely. But given the evidence I'm more inclined to think that he just lost his head. I'm not saying a racial slur is not a good reason to get pissed off, I'm saying there's no evidence that happened.

Sunderland nailed two coffins simultaneously, casting Newcastle and Norwich down with Aston Villa.

Looks like Burnley is coming back up for 16/17 along with Middlesborough. Might try and watch the playoffs for the third promotion.

Speculation finally put to bed. So much speculation.

Latest one, after verbally agreeing to a new contract at Tottenham, Poch is seen having lunch with Fergie. Despite the club even saying "yeah we approved it and it's social", doesn't stop the rumors everywhere and amongst Spurs fans the panic.

Well, no more panic. Poch put pen to paper, along with his coaching staff. They're staying at Tottenham. Which means that other players (Eriksen specifically) who were waiting for this to sign their own contracts will do so as well (I know Eriksen explicitly made his contract extension conditional on Poch staying as well, I don't know of others but I would expect there were others).

So hopeful that this is a sign of stability that we've lacked for so long.

Speculation finally put to bed. So much speculation.

Latest one, after verbally agreeing to a new contract at Tottenham, Poch is seen having lunch with Fergie. Despite the club even saying "yeah we approved it and it's social", doesn't stop the rumors everywhere and amongst Spurs fans the panic.

Well, no more panic. Poch put pen to paper, along with his coaching staff. They're staying at Tottenham. Which means that other players (Eriksen specifically) who were waiting for this to sign their own contracts will do so as well (I know Eriksen explicitly made his contract extension conditional on Poch staying as well, I don't know of others but I would expect there were others).

So hopeful that this is a sign of stability that we've lacked for so long.

Why would Poch live spudz for manure? seriously....Spuds are in the UCL - manure is in the Europa Liga - Poch has a chance to achieve more where he is at - IMHO he should stay - this isn't the same situation he had when he was at Southampton

Why would Poch live spudz for manure? seriously....Spuds are in the UCL - manure is in the Europa Liga - Poch has a chance to achieve more where he is at - IMHO he should stay - this isn't the same situation he had when he was at Southampton

Oh I know and I completely agree. I wasn't worried about him switching over to Manchester United. I was more concerned about him going to Paris Saint-Germain. Man U would be a paycheck bigger than Spurs could offer for sure but he has an emotional connection to PSG. Even called it his dream to manage them.

Also we're so used to the rich kids stealing our toys that the fear of this stuff is instinctual.

Although a new Forbes report puts Spurs as the 10th richest club now. Of course still well behind other English clubs.

Also we're so used to the rich kids stealing our toys that the fear of this stuff is instinctual.

Although a new Forbes report puts Spurs as the 10th richest club now. Of course still well behind other English clubs.

As a CFC fan, I am used to spuds taking our best. Venables, Greaves & Cundy are prime examples. IMHO this stopped in the '90s. I think this is why the CFC fans are so against spuds so much. I would say the rivalry vs spud & CFC is more intense than per say gooners vs CFC. Of both rivalries pale in the intensity between the feud between Millwall & West Ham. That is just insane. When those two tangle, London is brought to a standstill.

As a CFC fan, I am used to spuds taking our best. Venables, Greaves & Cundy are prime examples. IMHO this stopped in the '90s. I think this is why the CFC fans are so against spuds so much. I would say the rivalry vs spud & CFC is more intense than per say gooners vs CFC. Of both rivalries pale in the intensity between the feud between Millwall & West Ham. That is just insane. When those two tangle, London is brought to a standstill.

You can flip a coin amongst Spurs supporters as to whether they hate Chelsea or Arsenal more.

My view, if Arsenal f***ed off back to Woolwich and lost the undeserved pompous attitude I'd hate them a lot less. Chelsea, well Chelsea is Chelsea.

But ultimately all the big London clubs hate each other. But yeah. Millwall and West Ham is insane but fortunately Millwall sucks so they rarely meet. But still not Celtic/Rangers level though. I can think of no fiercer rivalry than the Old Firm.

But ultimately all the big London clubs hate each other. But yeah. Millwall and West Ham is insane but fortunately Millwall sucks so they rarely meet. But still not Celtic/Rangers level though. I can think of no fiercer rivalry than the Old Firm.

I was just referring to London Rivalries - I still find it kinda of crazy how one can stroll a couple of blocks in London & be in the neighbor of another footie team territory - IMHO the rivalries in South America are even more insane - Buenos Aires, Sau Paulo & Rio have similar make up as the London Clubs, but they like to fight w/ guns :eek:

I was just referring to London Rivalries - I still find it kinda of crazy how one can stroll a couple of blocks in London & be in the neighbor of another footie team territory - IMHO the rivalries in South America are even more insane - Buenos Aires, Sau Paulo & Rio have similar make up as the London Clubs, but they like to fight w/ guns :eek:

I've heard, but I pay zero attention to those leagues. England, and then minor attention when convenient to MLS and the rest of the big European leagues . Nothing against the rest of the world, just not enough time to watch it all.

I've heard, but I pay zero attention to those leagues. England, and then minor attention when convenient to MLS and the rest of the big European leagues . Nothing against the rest of the world, just not enough time to watch it all.

football, soccer, bóng đá, Fußball, Calcio or whatever you want to call it is my drug of choice - I never ever get enough of it :p BTW I dream of going to a South American Derby match of either San Lorenzo or Corinthians - the only problem is one might not return home going to a match or returning at least alive - checkout this video from San Lorenzo before a match vs River Plate:

Last edited by a moderator:
You can flip a coin amongst Spurs supporters as to whether they hate Chelsea or Arsenal more.

My view, if Arsenal f***ed off back to Woolwich and lost the undeserved pompous attitude I'd hate them a lot less. Chelsea, well Chelsea is Chelsea.

I find it very interesting how much the English teams' supporters absolutely hate each other. I've mentioned before that I basically picked Chelsea (Arsenal, Everton, and Tottenham were in the final running) to follow after watching EPL for a year or so. At the time, Man U was dominant and I didn't want to jump on the biggest team's bandwagon, but, I also wanted a team that had a legitimate chance to win the league (which kind of narrowed my choices a bit). I also enjoyed their style, even though it's not always as flashy as other squads'. Last year was great (except the lackluster finish) but this year has been terrible. But, I feel going through some pains as a supporter is probably healthy every now and then.

For me, the biggest rivalries where I live (GA, USA) are between college football teams and they are nowhere near as intense as what I've witnessed from England.

I'm still learning about the interactions between different clubs and how some are more heated than others. All that being said, I can't wait for Diego Costa to be shipped out of Chelsea. He's talented, but his on-the-field attitude is unbecoming and unnecessary.

I find it very interesting how much the English teams' supporters absolutely hate each other. I've mentioned before that I basically picked Chelsea (Arsenal, Everton, and Tottenham were in the final running) to follow after watching EPL for a year or so. At the time, Man U was dominant and I didn't want to jump on the biggest team's bandwagon, but, I also wanted a team that had a legitimate chance to win the league (which kind of narrowed my choices a bit). I also enjoyed their style, even though it's not always as flashy as other squads'. Last year was great (except the lackluster finish) but this year has been terrible. But, I feel going through some pains as a supporter is probably healthy every now and then.

For me, the biggest rivalries where I live (GA, USA) are between college football teams and they are nowhere near as intense as what I've witnessed from England.

I'm still learning about the interactions between different clubs and how some are more heated than others. All that being said, I can't wait for Diego Costa to be shipped out of Chelsea. He's talented, but his on-the-field attitude is unbecoming and unnecessary.

The US doesn't have the history with sports that a lot of the rest of the world does. More of a business here. The leagues are separated. Clubs don't rise and fall.

Some of these rivalries date back to some slight from a century ago (say Tottenham and Arsenal) and have been constantly stoked over the years and just become part of the ethos of the game. Others are class related (Real vs Atleti comes to mind). Some are political or religious (Celtic/Rangers it's both). Some it's just people from the same neighborhood fighting over their own turf (Millwall and West Ham). Other local derbies aren't anything contentious at all. The Liverpool Man U hatred is far deeper than Liverpool and Everton.

If you'll excuse me I'll be spending the rest of the day curled up in a ball crying. This is beyond atrocious. I'm without words. Bottled it doesn't even begin to describe it. St. F***ing Totteringham's Day again.

It'll be hard not to let this dampen what has otherwise been a fantastic season. But we dropped points to West Brom, and then totally lost the plot against Chelsea and death spiral since.

My annual reminder that I support Tottenham Hotspur.

My only hope is we learn from this. This result while heartbreaking and out of character for how we've played all season, wasn't entirely unexpected (okay, maybe the severity of the loss was). But it was obvious since the match against West Brom that the pressure was getting to us. And we cracked at Stamford Bridge. And with the loss of the title, so went the motivation, and then downhill since.

That's part of being such a young side. And hopefully the boys learn from it.

I expect that Cartilage Free Captain's traditional post-match themed player rankings may actually include some 1 stars this time. Walker deserved it definitely, among others.

We've been in North London longer than you have (before 1936, Tottenham was part of Middlesex, not London ;-) )

I expect that Cartilage Free Captain's traditional post-match themed player rankings may actually include some 1 stars this time. Walker deserved it definitely, among others.

fortunately for you, spuds have DeAndre Yedlin. Sell Walker & bring back Yedlin. Problem solved

fortunately for you, spuds have DeAndre Yedlin. Sell Walker & bring back Yedlin. Problem solved

Sunderland is poised to make a permanent move for Yedlin, from what I hear. I expect it will go through. Yedlin isn't good enough. He has amazing potential but hasn't developed it. Walker is fantastic normally. This was just a very very bad showing by all in lilywhite (or blue as the case may be). Problem here wasn't talent or fitness but mentality, and that falls on Poch as much (or more) than anyone else.

Yedlin isn't good enough.

IMHO Yedlin plays Hazard better than Walker & that is my judgement right there. Hell Yedlin helped S'land beat CFC with an assist on the match winning goal & Walker easily could have been sent off + Hazard made him look foolish in the match tying goal. Again if that what you want, I am all for it. I rather see spudz bottle it so I can LOL again.

Just wanted to jump in and say there is a Liverpool fan in the midst of this, and if we are talking about undewhelming seasons, I would like to point out every one since the Premier League replaced the First Division.

Back