The [Horribly Unpopular] Soccer Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yea, Spain used to excel at killing you with possession. Unfortunately when you concede a goal in the 2nd minute you need to kill people with goals... their possession play was crap as well. How many times did they get bossed off the ball or make an errant pass in the middle and have to scramble back to head off a counter attack? Overall Spain looked sluggish and Brazil looked rampant. We'll see what changes a year makes.

The biggest part of Barca's success is that yes they have the quick passing plays and so on so forth, but they have Leo to get goals and be exciting in the box. Spain is still super dangerous, but I think the Krauts will be running the table most likely in Brazil if they have their best game. Spain is a threat of course, as are Brazil, Croatia, Netherlands, and Portugal. Even have some surprise english squads who can make a run like England or Italy. Even the young squad like Belgium can shock.

...but I think the Krauts will be running the table...

Decent insight, truly...but why use such a derogatory term of reference for the German national team? Are you purposefully being disrespectful or do you actually believe it is an appropriate term of reference?

The biggest part of Barca's success is that yes they have the quick passing plays and so on so forth, but they have Leo to get goals and be exciting in the box. Spain is still super dangerous, but I think the Krauts will be running the table most likely in Brazil if they have their best game. Spain is a threat of course, as are Brazil, Croatia, Netherlands, and Portugal. Even have some surprise english squads who can make a run like England or Italy. Even the young squad like Belgium can shock.

Exactly!

I really think they're missing a replacement for Villa. Torres isn't cutting it and you can have all the possession in the middle, but if you don't have anyone to lead the line and stretch the defense. You're going to have a tough time of it.

Exactly!

I really think they're missing a replacement for Villa. Torres isn't cutting it and you can have all the possession in the middle, but if you don't have anyone to lead the line and stretch the defense. You're going to have a tough time of it.

Agreed...all the passing is designed keep possession and to create space and space was not happening without the capability of establishing width. Navas was brought on to remedy this, with some success, but circumstances did not allow the production of sufficient results by way of chances...or rather chances taken.

Decent insight, truly...but why use such a derogatory term of reference for the German national team? Are you purposefully being disrespectful or do you actually believe it is an appropriate term of reference?

It's considered friendly banter or ribbing, but if it offends you I won't use it going forth.

It's considered friendly banter or ribbing, but if it offends you I won't use it going forth.

It doesn't offend me personally as i am not German. However, I know it's considered an offensive term by every German I know so I am only sensitive in light of respect of my friendship to them. I don't mean to be all "PC" but that term is generally considered as beyond good banter as far as I know. I could be crazy and perhaps any German contingent we are graced with here at HBT can correct me. My interest is in keeping the conversation unoffensive as your post was insightful and right on the money otherwise in my opinion.

jesus, watching some of the highlights from Brazil and Spain; the US has some work to do..

US cannot compete trying to play the same game as those guys.

Honestly US making it out of their group is a win for me and if they can make it to the final 8 I'd do a flip (which would consist of me not quite making it and hurting myself) they don't have the ability now to compete with the best of the best if they're playing their game. Of course who they draw will be the most important. If the US winds up in the group of death I think they could get shafted from the group stage, if they don't they should go to the final 16, and the problem is there are some great squads up there. The US can win any game it's possible, but if a top squad is on their A game we'll lose and probably pretty badly. We don't have the skill and speed to match Brazil, we don't have the technical ability to match Spain or Germany. We're still effectively a developing country, but at least it seems we're going in the right direction. We look much better as a squad now than we did before Klinsmann took over, and that's without Landycakes contributing.

pretty cool video on Roman Abramovich

was like number 5 on reddit

Last edited by a moderator:
Honestly US making it out of their group is a win for me and if they can make it to the final 8 I'd do a flip . . . .

This is a something I really like about soccer, as a fan. Unlike most US professional sports, its not a 'win a championship or its not a successful season' ethos. And no one legitimately claims the Mexican, or Korean, or US professional leagues on the same level as the EPL or Serie A, for example, but that doesn't diminish our joy at being a fan.

In the World Cup, for me, if the US makes it out of the group, that's success. If they make it to the final 8, that's outstanding. Beyond that is party all night . . .

This is a something I really like about soccer, as a fan. Unlike most US professional sports, its not a 'win a championship or its not a successful season' ethos. And no one legitimately claims the Mexican, or Korean, or US professional leagues on the same level as the EPL or Serie A, for example, but that doesn't diminish our joy at being a fan.

In the World Cup, for me, if the US makes it out of the group, that's success. If they make it to the final 8, that's outstanding. Beyond that is party all night . . .

And when the US is in the World Cup, they are actually playing in a genuine world championship. Not in this world champions (of America) stuff that I always find nauseating.

I know this will not be of interest to most of you since you are not in the Atlanta area but I figured it might be seen by some people in the area or some of you might know some people in the Atlanta area and would pass this allong.

Next Monday, July 8th, ATLwantsMLS teams up with Monday Night Brewing. We'll be hosting a brewery event and for everyone who shows up for a tour/tasting, Monday Night Brewery will donate $2 to our Gold Cup funds!

ATLwantsMLS is a group of passionate soccer fans that are trying to orgainze the soccer fans in the Atlanta to show MLS and Arthur Blank that the city has what it takes to support a team.

* $10 gets you a pint glass, 4 drink tickets, a raffle ticket and $2 will be donated to ATLwantsMLS
* Wear a soccer shirt/scarf and get an extra raffle ticket!
* Meet other soccer fans in the city and talk about the great Silverbacks season that just finished, the crazy European Transfer Market, or how Jack McInerney and Sean Johnson are going to shine for the US in Gold Cup

So if you like soccer or craft beer or both we would really like if you were able to come out this coming Monday! Also if you know anyone who would be interested please let them know. If you would like to know anything else feel free to post it here or shot me a PM

Thank you,
Daniel Monroe

pretty cool video on Roman Abramovich

was like number 5 on reddit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmCtci6cen8

Getting an under the table deal for russian mineral rights and then buying a PL club to discourage the Russian government from seizing your assets and throwing you in a gulag.... classy!

I liked how the female commentator tried to remain relevant in the debate though. "But guys, it's made the PL popular!"

I know this will not be of interest to most of you since you are not in the Atlanta area but I figured it might be seen by some people in the area or some of you might know some people in the Atlanta area and would pass this allong.

Next Monday, July 8th, ATLwantsMLS teams up with Monday Night Brewing. We'll be hosting a brewery event and for everyone who shows up for a tour/tasting, Monday Night Brewery will donate $2 to our Gold Cup funds!

ATLwantsMLS is a group of passionate soccer fans that are trying to orgainze the soccer fans in the Atlanta to show MLS and Arthur Blank that the city has what it takes to support a team.

* $10 gets you a pint glass, 4 drink tickets, a raffle ticket and $2 will be donated to ATLwantsMLS
* Meet other soccer fans in the city and talk about the great Silverbacks season that just finished, the crazy European Transfer Market, or how Jack McInerney and Sean Johnson are going to shine for the US in Gold Cup

So if you like soccer or craft beer or both we would really like if you were able to come out this coming Monday! Also if you know anyone who would be interested please let them know. If you would like to know anything else feel free to post it here or shot me a PM

Thank you,
Daniel Monroe

This kind of stuff is always of interest to me. While I can't participate, it's great to see a grassroots push for an MLS club. Philly has shown that it can be done. I wish you all the best of luck!

Thank you,
Daniel Monroe

Sounds great! I'm in.

Thank you,
Daniel Monroe

I am in Canton, GA - and would love to see a team in ATL, hell anywhere in the southeast would be nice. In protest I have been supporting the Whitecaps all season, which is as far from ATL as any team is...

Monday is just a little too tough to make it out anywhere, usually late work, son and wife are usually extra crazy on Monday on account of not adjusting back to work/school after a weekend (long one this time around too, so extra crazy), and then -- well its drinking on a Monday...

RSL v Philly was a good match to watch. With all of the losses to national duty was a chance to see some of the younger team members.

Real back and forth game with some ref drama. Really impressed with Casey and his work rate. Interesting to see if his price goes up from this years efforts.

Grannyknot said:
Reports in UK say Jozy might move to the PL with Sunderland being the front runner. Hull also with a previous connection.

Glad to hear his name being thrown around in the transfer window, but I hope he holds out till late summer for a better move.

Hoppy....mentioned above, but heard the offer has been rejected & he might hold out on personal terms for a move to a better side like spurs. As much as I hate spurs, would be a much better option for him.

I don't know if Spurs would work for him. I root for the Spurs so I'd love him, but they've shown plenty of impatience with Strikers so Jozy would have to be dominant or he'd lose his spot there.

Also I have to say, Brek Shea is going to be a special player. If he, Diserkud, Holden, and co come along the US will have a heck of a side in the upcoming years.

Almost feel bad for the Guatemalans.

But I have to say overall, the old guard guys who may be trying to win spots back (Gomez, Donovan and Onyewu) all looked great. If this squad plays like this the whole Gold Cup, I think they have what it takes for the win. Since pretty much every side has their best players on the sideline, the US seems to have the best of the rest. Keeping I think is a concern, but if the defense holds like it did today, and the offense clicks, it looks good for the US.

Have to say I feel bad for Hercules, he seems to have found his groove, he's just outclassed by Jozy.

Almost feel bad for the Guatemalans.

But I have to say overall, the old guard guys who may be trying to win spots back (Gomez, Donovan and Onyewu) all looked great. If this squad plays like this the whole Gold Cup, I think they have what it takes for the win. Since pretty much every side has their best players on the sideline, the US seems to have the best of the rest. Keeping I think is a concern, but if the defense holds like it did today, and the offense clicks, it looks good for the US.

Have to say I feel bad for Hercules, he seems to have found his groove, he's just outclassed by Jozy.

I'll agree with you on Donovan, after a few bad touches in the early going. I'm not sure what to say about Gomez, since the only reason he wasn't involved in the last set of qualifiers was a knee injury... so on the one hand, I'd say there's no reason to say he's necessarily lost his spot, but on the other hand, I'm not sure where I plug him in the lineup right now. Gooch... well, I didn't think he did anything to prove he deserved to be in consideration for a starting CB spot. Admittedly, I don't know what he could have done in a game like this, because he just wasn't tested that much.

I think not really being tested is a sign of good CB play. Seems like mostly he and Goodson paired well and steppedup to stop awkward transitions which has been a problem for our current CBs. Don't think he'll push Besler or Gonzalez as I think they're th efuture, but having good depth is never a bad thing.

And Gomez was bound to lose his spot to Jozy, but him performing at a high level in the GC will JMO make Jozy even better feeling the pressure of someone behind him.

ANd I think he could otherwise replace Johnson up top and slide Johnson back to LB or RB.

I think not really being tested is a sign of good CB play. Seems like mostly he and Goodson paired well and steppedup to stop awkward transitions which has been a problem for our current CBs. Don't think he'll push Besler or Gonzalez as I think they're th efuture, but having good depth is never a bad thing.

It can be a sign of that, but in this case, it sure looked like more of a case of the opposing offense not being good enough to do much. And yes, depth is great, but my point is that Gooch didn't do anything to convince that he's anything more than that at this point.

And Gomez was bound to lose his spot to Jozy, but him performing at a high level in the GC will JMO make Jozy even better feeling the pressure of someone behind him.

ANd I think he could otherwise replace Johnson up top and slide Johnson back to LB or RB.

I've thought Fabian belonged at let back for a while. But apparently Jurgen prefers DMB. And Fabian has done some good things at left wing, so hey, maybe its the right call after all. What do I know. :drunk:

I think Johnson in the midfield is just so Klinsmann can try to find alternates for the fullback position. Basically the same reason why Cherundolo hasn't been picked for any of the internationals this year. He'll be in the mix next world cup, but the US needs insurance in case something happens like what happened when Johnson, Chandler, and Cherundolo were all hurt.

I'm hoping that by WC 2014 the starting lineup will be either

RB - Cherundolo
CB - Gonzalez
CB - Besler
LB - Johnson
CDM - Bradley
CDM - Jones
RM - Landycaskes
CAM - Dempsey
LM - Holden
ST - Jozy

or

Same defense
CDM - Bradley
CDM - Holden (though with this pairing Holden would be more offensive/creative)
RM - Landycakes
CAM - Dempsey
LM - Shea
ST - Jozy.

I think either of those lineups makes us a tough team to beat. Not really weak at any point. I like the second one better cause Shea for me has the physical ability to make a real difference in the next level, Though I guess a positive to the first lineup is you can bring Shea off the bench where he's just as strong.

The Atlanta Silverbacks are the Spring Season Champions of the North American Soccer League!!!

That's impressive, considering they finished dead last the previous two seasons.

Now I'm interested to see how NY does, both attendance-wise and how much attention they bring to the league.

Latest posts

Back