The [Horribly Unpopular] Soccer Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds like the homophobic fat kid he didn't get picked to play.

I heard repeating yourself makes you sound cooler.

Look, there's a *lot* of gay kids that play soccer. That's part of the reason that Robbie Rogers actually *is* a big deal.

There's gay kids in every sport, sure, but can you leave the weird ad hominems out of the conversation and honestly say that you think soccer *doesn't* have more gay players than average?

is there a good reason why Jozy Altidore is still a starting striker on the US team... i enjoyed how he recieved a nice cross in front of the the net in todays game and then lost the ball.. he drives me cray cray.

I guess because on paper, he is our best option, considering the 31 goals he scored for AZ this past season.
He frustrates me as well, but besides that cross, he didn't get a lot of service last night.
I counted 3 times where he was running between the gaps in the defense, pointing to the passing lane, and we failed to send a through ball. I think that is one area where Bradley and Donovan will help us out.

Also, I don't think Klinsmann should have pulled him at the half. I know its just a friendly, but this isn't AYSO, he doesn't owe anyone playing time. Eddie Johnson is not the future of our program, however Jozy currently is. He needs time to build his confidence and jell with the midfield.

dwarven_stout said:
I heard repeating yourself makes you sound cooler.

Look, there's a *lot* of gay kids that play soccer. That's part of the reason that Robbie Rogers actually *is* a big deal.

There's gay kids in every sport, sure, but can you leave the weird ad hominems out of the conversation and honestly say that you think soccer *doesn't* have more gay players than average?

I can think of no rational lines of thinking that would indicate there would be more gay folks playing soccer than any other sport. Can you? I played football, soccer and baseball, for many years, although anecdotal, I saw no variance in the amount of gay team mates.

When it is said that 75% of players are gay due to their haircuts, that is ad hominem, mine was a generalization.

I guess because on paper, he is our best option, considering the 31 goals he scored for AZ this past season.
He frustrates me as well, but besides that cross, he didn't get a lot of service last night.
I counted 3 times where he was running between the gaps in the defense, pointing to the passing lane, and we failed to send a through ball. I think that is one area where Bradley and Donovan will help us out.

Also, I don't think Klinsmann should have pulled him at the half. I know its just a friendly, but this isn't AYSO, he doesn't owe anyone playing time. Eddie Johnson is not the future of our program, however Jozy currently is. He needs time to build his confidence and jell with the midfield.

Klinsmann pulling guys was pretty much 100% for rest. Most of these guys are fresh off long campaigns so this was a tough tuneup. We were the less talented side, but really in the end, what beat us was ourselves. I think overall except for the 3 defensive miscues (at least 2 from Gonzalez, who's looked solid every other match) we did a solid job. Nothing you could do about the last goal that was just fantastic. the Fellaini goal was also tough. I'm still in shock and awe though that Gonzalez started easing off when Howard came out of net. I feel like our defenders aren't tough enough for some reason. This reminds me of when Goodson or Cameron eased off against Costa Rica when Howard came out.

Though the biggest positive of the night for me is the Cameron goal. What a thing of beauty. Dempsey with a great header in and Cameron put it away. Need to get fully healthy so we can get Cameron back in the middle. I'm really missing Johnson and Cherundolo.

Klinsmann pulling guys was pretty much 100% for rest.

Certainly a possbility, although I'm quite curious why altidore apparently wasn't even on the bench for the second half, curious where he was.

Nothing you could do about the last goal that was just fantastic.

I agree it was a beautiful goal, don't agree that there's nothing you can do about it. You can pressure in the midfield so the guy doesn't have ages to make that pass to benteke. I agree that once the pass is off, there was nothing for the back line to do, they were already beat. But the midfield certainly could have done better. He received the pass with no one within 15 yards of him, took a couple touches, and with no one within 5 yards, lobs it to benteke.

Is it possible he still makes that pass with less time and space? Sure, but it has to be made harder harder than it was if the defensive line is going to leave that much space behind them when playing against a team like belgium.

Need to get fully healthy so we can get Cameron back in the middle. I'm really missing Johnson and Cherundolo.

If we could please never see cameron as a right back ever again, that would be great. And that's not me saying that he's not better than some of the other options, he probably is. But he's not an answer at right back.

HoppyDaze said:
Actually those are the kids who end up talking soccer on the internet. I dominated every sport, every time...

I have no idea what you are trying to say there. Since you posted about soccer on the Internet, you must include yourself.

BrewKnurd said:
You're talking to a guy who gets a kick out of trolling. So carry on if you like, but that's the situation you're dealing with.

Other than the trolling thread, I have never trolled this site. Curious where you get that.

Certainly a possbility, although I'm quite curious why altidore apparently wasn't even on the bench for the second half, curious where he was.

Thats a good point that I hadn't noticed. I wonder if he had an injury scare just before the half. That definately would have explained his substitution. Really no need to rest him and he needs reps with the team.

I did hear something slightly dis-heartening on the radio this afternoon that I'd like everyone's take on....so JK left Landon out of the current camp, which Landon appeared to be "ok with", so he is going to miss the next 3 qualifiers, and the rumor is that JK is going to attempt to call him up for the Gold Cup. Ok with me except for that most people assume that our Gold Cup squad will be somewhat of a "B Team". Assuming the best player in US soccer history turns down a spot on the B Team, opting instead for Galaxy duty, JK will presumably tell him he is no longer welcome on the USMNT.

Now of course those are just rumors, and I don't know how good the source is that is commenting on the impending call-ups, but if they are correct, and JK wants to be that petulant, do we start to question if we really want him as the coach of our national team??

I got a gist of the trolling about gay footy players on here. I wasn't paying enough attention to look at the names, but seriously? Anyone who tries to troll on this subject as if sexuality and choice of sports has any correlation whatsoever is just going to end up looking like an idiot.

For the record, there are officially no homosexuals in Iran. See how stupid that sounds?

Rule 1 of internet forums is

1. Don't feed trolls

Rule 1 is post a pic to prove your claim. The trolls rule is probably Rule 2 though. :cross:

Edit: On further reflection, feeding a troll is probably a form of trolling itself.....Sometimes though, I get all nerdy enough to think that there is something wrong on the internetz that I need to fix before I can sleep at night....Yes, I is guiltier than Pedo Bear shagging an underage Lolcat when it comes to violating internet protocol.:eek:

Rule 1 is post a pic to prove your claim. The trolls rule is probably Rule 2 though. :cross:

Edit: On further reflection, feeding a troll is probably a form of trolling itself.....Sometimes though, I get all nerdy enough to think that there is something wrong on the internetz that I need to fix before I can sleep at night....Yes, I is guiltier than Pedo Bear shagging an underage Lolcat when it comes to violating internet protocol.:eek:

i hear you

Good point, maybe a nursing injury or something. Doubt it's attitude with Jozy, he's a good guy by all accounts.

I agree it was a beautiful goal, don't agree that there's nothing you can do about it. You can pressure in the midfield so the guy doesn't have ages to make that pass to benteke. I agree that once the pass is off, there was nothing for the back line to do, they were already beat. But the midfield certainly could have done better. He received the pass with no one within 15 yards of him, took a couple touches, and with no one within 5 yards, lobs it to benteke.

Is it possible he still makes that pass with less time and space? Sure, but it has to be made harder harder than it was if the defensive line is going to leave that much space behind them when playing against a team like belgium.

True, more pressure would have likely helped, That's just the least defensible goal that the US gave up. Gonzalez and Goodson screwed up the first on, Gonzalez obviously screwed up the second, and Gonzalez was really out of position on the Fellaini goal. That was also a good goal but overall it should have been at worst for the US a 2-2 draw.

If we could please never see cameron as a right back ever again, that would be great. And that's not me saying that he's not better than some of the other options, he probably is. But he's not an answer at right back.

Yeah I like Cameron as a player like him at CB and really wish we could use him as a CDM when we have a lead to protect. So he'd be in a similar role that he's in at Stoke, but he's not a full back. All the US Fullbacks are out now it seems. Would be nice to have one of Cherundolo, Johnson or Chandler at full strength.

a draw? if things played out a little more as they should of, then that penalty kick should have never been called, that was a rather ridiculous call if you ask me.

Most handballs are questionable. He raised his arm and it hit him outside of his frame. Hardly a bad call. It may be non-called most times but that doesn't mean it's bad.

Even a 2-1 loss to Belgium isn't bad. Belgium is a great squad. In the next few years they may even creep into the top 5.

Their back line features 3 fantastic defenders in Kompany, Vertongen and Vermaelen, they have a strong Midfield including several youngsters who'll only get better like De Brunye and Hazard who could become world class players.

One thing I don't get about people who knock Klinsmann on his record, do they look at who the US plays in friendlies? THey don't play pushover squads often, they play Italy, Spain, Brazil, Germany, etc.

I hope the US plays better against Germany so they're fully prepared for their qualifiers. Would be nice for some good wins to get to the top of the group.

it here at 4:05ish, hit his elbow/midsection, not at all a blatant reach; Beasley's on the other hand, that looked like it should have been called..

and playing tough teams is great in my opinion, if you want to be better and get a better reputation then you need to play against talent.

Last edited by a moderator:
Defense is stilla a concern, but it's good to see the offense clicking. Wasn't Germany's A team but it still is a quality win.

And if anyone missed Dempsey's second goal

ibju6ZgjW8l7X8.gif

Anybody notice US is up on Germany 2-0 at half?

People only talk about US Soccer when they lose typically. More fun to hate on Klinsmann than to acknowledge he's got something going on. And improved senior squad is the smallest thing he's doing for us. The changing of the way the youth system is handled will be the biggest boost for US Soccer. Maybe 10 years down the road we'll be a regular top 15 or so team. We have the athletic ability to be much better than we are, just need the players to hone their skills. Seeing guys like Freddy Adu flame out or Brek Shea still being raw at 23 isn't a great sign for our international competitiveness.

that second goal by Dempsey was pretty.. Jozy's is what he should of done against Belgium, a quick one timer.. anyways i'll hope this as some momentum, we certainly need a Win to get the ball rolling and qualify..

Hard to tell from the highlights, how was the match? It looked liked the 1st and 3rd German goals were more to do with defensive issues, again.

The third one was more to do with something Howard doesn't do too often, spill the ball.

Gonzalez has certainly been a concern the last 2 games.

I suppose chelski are the odds on favorites for the title next year.
Or, they may sack Mourinho before the season even starts.
Neither of which would surprise me.

If only we could fast forward it's going to be a great year in the PL.

Chelsea, Man City, Man U

3 way battle would be awesome :)

I don't know about Man U... SAF gone, Moyes in. Probably a bunch of personnel/player changes. I think they'll be in a bit of a slump this next season. City could be in the same boat as well, but they'll spend 800 million on transfers to offset that.

I think if Wenger can get his crap together this window and get some talent in Arsenal might be in a position to capitalize.

I think if Wenger can get his crap together this window and get some talent in Arsenal might be in a position to capitalize.

Yep. And I expect an even further slide from Man City.
The rumors of Koscielny to Bayern aren't too pleasing though.

Yep. And I expect an even further slide from Man City.
The rumors of Koscielny to Bayern aren't too pleasing though.

We have to stand our ground with Kos. He's been the bright spot at the back for most of the run in this season. The only way we sell him is if Bayern are offering some over the top price and we have a better replacement lined up. I'm tired of flogging players and then replacing them with 2 slightly inferior players.

Perhaps we should bring out the fat men and let them paint their corpulent bodies with the colors of the team?

Sounds like Arsenal is lining up some big names for transfers this summer.

Yeah, Manuel Marouan da Costa Trindade Senoussi is reportedly interested in Premier League return, and Henrique Hilário Meireles Alves Sampaio wants out at Chelsea.

Back