The Home Made Pizza Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My favorite type of pizza lately....

Spinach, mozzarella, feta, red onion, kalamata olives, roma tomato, banana peppers, Canadian bacon, and salt & pepper. No sauce, just a bit of olive oil.

~4 and a half minutes in a 550* convection oven.

IMG_20181021_222935_697.jpg
IMG_20181021_222935_710.jpg

My favorite type of pizza lately....

Spinach, mozzarella, feta, red onion, kalamata olives, roma tomato, banana peppers, Canadian bacon, and salt & pepper. No sauce, just a bit of olive oil.

~4 and a half minutes in a 550* convection oven.
That looks delicious!
I’ve always followed this thread and hope to join in one day. My oven is convection and will go 550* easy. What are you cooking the pizza on?

Nice pizzas. I like the cheddar. Also the crust looks yummy. I have been par baking on the steel. Then topping and putting back in. Perhaps could use even more time. The parchment spread gives it a tiger texture, I have noticed. I am so freaking lazy though. I put on the gloves oil it and spread it. Toss gloves and put in. I think I am going to try convection next. Maybe that will help with the top. That pizza by Az_ipa looks awesome. Feta and red onion and everything else, wow. That looks great.

thanks I agree on his pizza its nice, I just use leftovers so nothing fancy on mine but I will confess that was a 2 hour crust fully fermented with all purpose sifted flour and 3 tablespoons of sugar to kick start it, it's very good I oil the outer crust and sprinkle garlic salt on it before i bake

I add the cheddar 5 minutes before I take it out

Thanks for the inspiration, I froze tomatoes this year and have no idea how to use them. Just boil them and flavor? Sounds great.

I actually vacuum pack mine and freeze the whole tomato skin and all, when you thaw it out the skin falls off, just thaw out in the microwave then throw in a pot start the boil then turn to low, take a masher and mash in the pot, while on low let it simmer for an hour, any skin or tough pieces just throw away, add your spice mix a few minutes after the simmer then get lazy like we do lol

Thanks, sounds great. Thats what I did, froze skin and all. So just thaw, throw skin out, mash and boil. Sounds awesome, thanks.

Thanks, sounds great. Thats what I did, froze skin and all. So just thaw, throw skin out, mash and boil. Sounds awesome, thanks.

this is my spice recipe by the way for about 16 oz of cooked tomato's which should yield about 2 or 3 - 12 " pizzas, the tomato brand will really dictate how sweet they are and their all different so salt to taste but this is the basic recipe, I have a big plastic tub I made up about 32 oz of the powder and I just add 1 heaping tablespoon for enough sauce that makes 2 - 12" pizzas, I like my sauce kind of thick because as you can see I use a lot of cheese

My Pizza Sauce

· 1 tsp dried basil
· 1 tsp sugar
· 2 tsp salt
· 1 tsp dried oregano
· 1 tb garlic powder
· 1 tsp onion powder or flakes
·
(optional)
· 1 tb olive oil
· pinch of red pepper flakes
· or 1/2 tsp ground black pepper

If any of you are after something like a roccbox or ooni, pizzaparty have just release a new gas only oven. Looks good value and there is an extra 50 off coupon code if you sign up to their new forum and ask for it. I would get the saputo floor instead of the standard one if I were to buy one. Their bigger ovens are great but twice the price. This one is a bit smaller but you can still do a 14 inch pizza in one I think.

Pizza. Tried convection and no par cook. Used parchment pre cuts from store and they are rectangle. Really wet dough.
20181028_113557.jpg
20181028_113608.jpg

found some dough in the back bottom of the fridge, I guess it was in there for a while, turned out it had no rise on the pan but rose in the oven a little with no browning of the top crust, the taste was paper or cardboard and was extra crunchy, it's so bad I'm not showing my disasters lol, you live and learn

I was extremely pleased (very hard to get that rating with me) with this version. I've been refining the Detroit style for quite a while and now I think I have something for public consumption.
The top photo isn't great but gives an accurate depiction of the crust bottom. The second photo highlights the properly cooked cheese border.
In my opinion, the most important aspects, in order, are dough, cheese and sauce. Once you have those under control everything is else is fairly easy.
This pizza is also something I can duplicate since I take decent notes, the same as I do with beer.
Putting the pizza on the middle rack with a pizza stone is key for me. Putting it lower is great for the bottom but leaves the top (meat and vegetable) vulnerable to under cooking.
My cheese blend isnt perfect but it is good enough, I believe, for wide consumption.
crust bottom 11.18.jpg
full square.jpg

I was extremely pleased (very hard to get that rating with me) with this version. I've been refining the Detroit style for quite a while and now I think I have something for public consumption.
The top photo isn't great but gives an accurate depiction of the crust bottom. The second photo highlights the properly cooked cheese border.
In my opinion, the most important aspects, in order, are dough, cheese and sauce. Once you have those under control everything is else is fairly easy.
This pizza is also something I can duplicate since I take decent notes, the same as I do with beer.
Putting the pizza on the middle rack with a pizza stone is key for me. Putting it lower is great for the bottom but leaves the top (meat and vegetable) vulnerable to under cooking.
My cheese blend isnt perfect but it is good enough, I believe, for wide consumption.
View attachment 596883 View attachment 596884

that looks totally legit. care to share more on recipe and process?

Beautiful icebob. I love the little guy and how you move him around. Also the towel is really clever. How did you come to that?
Sounds great davidabcd and i like the crust. Not sure I understand what detroit pizza is at all. We have a Colorado pizza. Or at least in brand. Beaujos pizza with thick wheat crust seved with honey to finish off crust. Made some pizzas I haven't uploaded yet. Look same as always. Par cooked. That made a nice golden crust that didnt come through in pics. This dough is wet. Like spread with spatula gooey. Wonder what role that plays, also should I cover hole in dough bucket at some point?
20181103_124529.jpg
20181103_123933.jpg

Man, this thread is right on time for me. Im doing Neapolitan style pizzas on my new kamodo joe cooker. Premade the dough 3 days ago with some italian 00 flour, salt, tad bit of sugar and water and yeast, and them for the sauce, a simple reicpie ive used many times with crushed tomatoes, basil, oregano, balsamic vinegar, lemon juice, salt and a bit of minced garlic, un cooked. I use a very light spread with the sauce, and we use fresh mozerella with a slight bit of pecorino. Pics to follow in a few hours

Been a month since I cooked or ate a pizza :( Need to get my pizza game back on track. This thread has me salivating

View attachment 596883 View attachment 596884

Would be curious what your dough recipe is for this. Grew up with Detroit style and often have cravings for it!

Beautiful icebob. I love the little guy and how you move him around. Also the towel is really clever. How did you come to that?
Sounds great davidabcd and i like the crust. Not sure I understand what detroit pizza is at all. We have a Colorado pizza. Or at least in brand. Beaujos pizza with thick wheat crust seved with honey to finish off crust. Made some pizzas I haven't uploaded yet. Look same as always. Par cooked. That made a nice golden crust that didnt come through in pics. This dough is wet. Like spread with spatula gooey. Wonder what role that plays, also should I cover hole in dough bucket at some point?View attachment 596892View attachment 596893

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Detroit-style_pizza

Buddy's mentioned here is THE Detroit style to try if you are in the area

Yeah, sorry @applescrap I didn't see your question but that is the answer.
Buddy's at Six and Conant is where you need to go. Buddy's has a few chain stores but I haven't found them reliable.
Edit: But not the Green Lantern (photo on Wiki). I don't get Green Lantern. I grew up with that place two miles from my house and it's nowhere close as good as Buddy's. Just my opinion.

Great link, thanks for sharing. Little ceasers, awesome. I think I have experienced some crust like that by happy accident with oil and pans. But not all in.

Par cooked the crust a little longer and got better results. Tried folding flour into one of the pizzas and it was more dense and toothy then the light airy normal. Frigo cheese and gallo salami with simple truth sauce. Light sprinkle of kosher salt right aftet sauced and more salt in dough too. This pizza was awesome. Used a little more cheese too.
Screenshot_2018-11-11-13-41-27.png
Screenshot_2018-11-11-13-41-41.png
Screenshot_2018-11-11-13-41-50.png
Screenshot_2018-11-11-13-42-06.png

Attachments

• Screenshot_2018-11-11-13-41-50.png
    Screenshot_2018-11-11-13-41-50.png
    374.7 KB · Views: 121
now keep in mind boiling tomatoes go everywhere and woman hate it, just have a lid and a wet rag you'll be fine
Haha, I missed this. Brought back memories. My jewish mom was italian at heart and she had this cheap banged up aluminum 16qt that she made these godfather red sauces in with meatballs and sausage. Well, that dented lid was missing its handle and only had two small screw holes in it. It was taken on and off with, meat fork (is that what its called cant think of it right now). Learned at a young age not to f... with that bad boy. Lol, touch that dented lid with out some swift fork action and it was sianara mfer.

Also rereading the thread I think I got the original idea to freeze the tomatoes from you, thanks. And will give the spice mix a try.

Rereading the thread, I love how all of the pizzas look so good and different. I want to plan for more variety of toppings. I noticed all of my pizzas look almost identical. And they all have this one bulgy spot on the ring. Looks almost the same in every pic.

Swmbo wanted to go out and I suggested pizza and boom, done. Gloves on, dough, oil, spread, and par cooked. Par cooked a little longer for this wet lean dough. Love the no mess and ease regardless of results, but would like to try some other recipes. And feel like I should cover the hole on the bucket after a few days.
20181114_182719.jpg
20181114_182710.jpg

Back