The Home Made Pizza Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For those having trouble with pies sticking to the peel, check this out. Best investment I ever made for homemade pizza. It has allowed us to go looser on the dough, thinner on the crust, and still get it in the oven in a round shape.

EXO Super Peel
www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001T6OVPO

Price has gone up since I bought one 5 years ago, but mine is still going strong after all these years!

Interesting. I had my most successful pizza experience on Mothers Day Weekend with cornmeal. But I'm still finding that crap around the house and grill area!!! ;) :fro:

Been on the road a lot lately so skipped a couple thursday! Here's the ones from last thursday, the usual italian meat (pepperoni, prosciutto, capicollo, speck, onions, peppers and olives). The other 2 were cheeseburger! To be honest, they were frikkin good!

20170615_165738.jpg

20170615_173018.jpg

20170615_173027.jpg

20170615_180349.jpg

20170615_180358.jpg

20170615_180407.jpg

Any tips on how to freeze pizza dough? I won't be able to make pizza for a couple of weeks and would like to save my dough that's been in the fridge for 3 days.

It's called a Maximus, basically a copy of the Pizza Party ovens -- made in portugal. Seems well built and it's quit light so can move it around which is handy.

So I broke in the oven this evening

My dough was a little bit underfermented and still too cold from the fridge , the oven wasn't quite hot enough and it's fair to say my dough shaping skills leave a bit to be desired, but they tasted great

2mins and 2 mins 30s to cook these
1OFPC9l.jpg

kyjOtu9.jpg

xFrWR5N.jpg

I also tried a calzone which I managed to drop on the floor in some mud before I could cook it :(

For those using a stone and oven, I've had great success with this method
Stone on the third rack slot down
Other rack two slots below it
Start on the bottom rack on a mega screen for about 2 minutes (until it is baked enough to move)
Move to stone for 3-4 minutes, until the toppings look almost done
Move back to bottom, no screen until bottom color is achieved and toppings are done

You can start baking a second pizza when you move the first to the stone.

By the time you make the second move to the low rack, the oven will be trying hard to keep the temp up from opening the door and the bottom element will be going full blast
Be careful not to over cool the bottom

This yields a super crispy crust
Just be sure that when you take it out, you put the pie on something that will let the steam escape(a raised screen, baker's rack, ect) or it will get soggy.
And don't make the first move to soon and be gentle or you may rip a hole in the dough, as it is still very soft.

Any tricks to making a calzone? Or is it more or less the same as making a pizza, just fold the dough over and seal?

Any tips on how to freeze pizza dough? I won't be able to make pizza for a couple of weeks and would like to save my dough that's been in the fridge for 3 days.

Most recipes for dough that will be frozen calls for adding extra yeast, your regular dough may not rise as expected, but should rise enough if you're going to use it somewhat soon.

Any tricks to making a calzone? Or is it more or less the same as making a pizza, just fold the dough over and seal?
I'd say the most important is getting a really good seam. I wet the edges before folding over, then press those edges together. Then wet the top edge and fold the edge over on top so it's essentially double sealed. Also make a few slits in the top. I use a pair of kitchen scissors and snip the top dough in a few places to allow steam to escape.

For those using a stone and oven, I've had great success with this method
Stone on the third rack slot down
Other rack two slots below it
Start on the bottom rack on a mega screen for about 2 minutes (until it is baked enough to move)
Move to stone for 3-4 minutes, until the toppings look almost done
Move back to bottom, no screen until bottom color is achieved and toppings are done

You can start baking a second pizza when you move the first to the stone.

By the time you make the second move to the low rack, the oven will be trying hard to keep the temp up from opening the door and the bottom element will be going full blast
Be careful not to over cool the bottom

This yields a super crispy crust
Just be sure that when you take it out, you put the pie on something that will let the steam escape(a raised screen, baker's rack, ect) or it will get soggy.
And don't make the first move to soon and be gentle or you may rip a hole in the dough, as it is still very soft.

It depends on the oven. Mine can run art 500 with convection as well. The screen alone gets mighty crispy crust.

fired the pizza oven up again. Made three pizzas, one calzone and also put in a lamb shoulder to cook in the residual heat . the dough was still too cold and I didn't knead it enough. It still tasted good but I need to improve the dough side I think :)

Some ingredients

IFxyNA2.jpg

Pre bake
Yt8jiDs.jpg

baking
glw7IXA.jpg

post bake . buffalo mozzarella is very wet, tastes great though
dSEGpwM.jpg

lovely base
xtzqQqy.jpg

calzone
vVVcoXe.jpg

bonus lamb shoulder, on trivet of onions, carrot and the excess tomato juice from the pizza tomatoes
FHdwZpI.jpg

GKF8Wf1.jpg

this morning
HwEtdH8.jpg

It cooled completely overnight, tastes great. Good thing about lamb shoulder is that it is almost impossible to overcook

Day off today, but wife was working, so I decided to do a pizza experiment (she doesn't have the tolerance for cooking failures like I do). I was testing how a thin crust would come out on the pizza screen. Intention is to find a way to heat the house up less during the summer as the stone or steel take an hour preheat. This was pre-heated to 550F, in and out in under 25 minutes.

Pizza was thin crust, homemade pesto from my basil plant, mozz, prov, asiago, sausage, tomato and finished with balsamic glaze.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1499102767.411040.jpg

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1499102785.377753.jpg

I'm shocked how well the dough cooked up.

Feel like I needed another 2# of cheese
Used this dough:
EDIT: POSTED INCORRECT RECIPE
https://www.pizzamaking.com/panpizza.php

Used a 50/50 of butter and light olive oil in the pan
Olive oil in the dough
Hot tap water
2-3 hour room temp ferment followed by a 24 hr cold ferment and a 2 hour warm up.

So I made this sad looking calzone. First time ever making a calzone plus some of the hottest weather ever on record plus too wet of dough coupled together to make this sad looking thing. That being said... Probably one of the most delicious "pies" I've ever made. Dough was super sour/fermented and flavorful. Homemade marinara sauce was on point. Forgot to put cheese inside so loaded it up on top. Brilliant decision

View attachment 1499659659893.jpg

Made ten last night, here is one although it was too overloaded with toppings. Dough was overfermented due to too warm a temp/too much yeast for the temp.

KMFrai9.jpg

I've been making cauliflower crust pizzas lately, used riced cauliflower, parm cheese, egg, and some herbs and spices, came out better than expected, both times that I made it I used sweet sausage, garlic, red onion and fresh banana peppers. Extremely good. I'd post pics, but photobucket is the devil

So I made this sad looking calzone. First time ever making a calzone plus some of the hottest weather ever on record plus too wet of dough coupled together to make this sad looking thing. That being said... Probably one of the most delicious "pies" I've ever made. Dough was super sour/fermented and flavorful. Homemade marinara sauce was on point. Forgot to put cheese inside so loaded it up on top. Brilliant decision

Haha, love it. I end up making all kinds of stuff like that too. Cookies too i see.

I've been making cauliflower crust pizzas lately, used riced cauliflower, parm cheese, egg, and some herbs and spices, came out better than expected, both times that I made it I used sweet sausage, garlic, red onion and fresh banana peppers. Extremely good. I'd post pics, but photobucket is the devil

Ah, a fellow low-carber perhaps?

I use a cheese crust - if you're interested in the recipe let me know. Dead simple and quite tasty. And you can NEVER have too much cheese on a pizza.

Got around to making pizza today with the frozen dough.Took the dough out and set it on the counter, after a few hours the dough started to come alive. I then divided dough into four smaller balls and let rise for 6 hours until it was time to bake. Happy to report that pizzas came out great.No problems with the dough. Sorry, no pictures.

Got around to making pizza today with the frozen dough.Took the dough out and set it on the counter, after a few hours the dough started to come alive. I then divided dough into four smaller balls and let rise for 6 hours until it was time to bake. Happy to report that pizzas came out great.No problems with the dough. Sorry, no pictures.

That's always been my experience. It shouldn't be that easy right?

Haha, love it. I end up making all kinds of stuff like that too. Cookies too i see.

Good eye haha. That was my wife's thing. I don't bake. If they were my cookies it would be one flat chip looking thing on a baking sheet with too much salt. That being said... Both the cookies and pizza were delish

Back