The Home Made Pizza Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lower protein means less chewy, right? So you want protein to keep it together.

So why go to the trouble of using expensive flour that you modify? Why would it be better than bread flour?

I prefer the finer texture of the 00 flour and the resulting texture of the crust.

Made two pies, the first is a riff off my maws' cauliflower casserole, the second is Canadian bacon and poached egg -a riff on ham and eggs... Only half had eggs cause my wife is solo and I don't know how the eggs will keep till tomorrow for the boy... The first was good, so was the second (allegedly)

View attachment 1445829885261.jpg

View attachment 1445829913290.jpg

Anyone in here have a good sourdough culture you are willing to share? I would like to try a sourdough next time. Willing to send a few bucks or something...
Thanks!

Anyone in here have a good sourdough culture you are willing to share? I would like to try a sourdough next time. Willing to send a few bucks or something...
Thanks!

I remember seeing some talk of that in the Homemade Bread thread. Someone was drying their culture, I think. I don't know how that works (growing it back up in a flour slurry?), but I think you'll find people willing to share.

You can also buy it from King Arthur on their website for $8.95, if you can't get any love over there.

I wonder if there'd be any interest in putting together an HBT culture...people sign up, send their dried culture to one person who cares for it, then sends it back out to people who request it.

I wonder if there'd be any interest in putting together an HBT culture...people sign up, send their dried culture to one person who cares for it, then sends it back out to people who request it.

I gave heard of "sourdough hotels" for when you go on vacation.

Mine has sat unloved for months here and there and is fine, it should be able to legally share a homebrew with me soon:D
Zippy contacted me and if he wants it I'll get it out to him.

Agreed, I keep mine in the fridge between feedings. I'll try to pull it out a few days ahead to get a few feedings in before using it, but sometimes that doesn't happen.

Just made a loaf this weekend - pulled the starter out of the fridge, fed it, and used it 24 hours later. Loaf was good to go.

My grand children stayed over last night and today was pizza for lunch. I used the Breadtopia recipe with about a 15 hr ferment. Cheers!

013_zps3le6lje2.jpg

001_zps8na2ee78.jpg

003_zpsejzbndcv.jpg

005_zpsqowv3ji1.jpg

This thread is inspiring. My wife got me a kettle pizza set up as she wasn't stoked on the idea of me building a pizza oven. It's been a lot of fun. I don't take many food pics but here are a few from the first run.

IMG_20151107_191621760.jpg

IMG_20151107_191418852.jpg

IMG_20151107_190026796.jpg

Got voted down for making the Knopthela hotdish, made pizza instead. Mild shredded cheddar in the crust, with halved jalapeno motz sticks in the edge crust. Pizza sauce, turkey chunks, red & green sweet peppers & mushrooms, topped with remaining cheddar. Didn't get finished shot, we ate it so fast...

Baked @ 450F for about 17 minutes.

This thread is inspiring. My wife got me a kettle pizza set up as she wasn't stoked on the idea of me building a pizza oven. It's been a lot of fun. I don't take many food pics but here are a few from the first run.

Wait..... What???????????? You mean??????? I could have?????????????

DAMMMIT!

I am working on my first sourdough starter and have no growth as of day 3. I am following Reinhardts' recipe from American Pie. I'm wondering what are typical results. I'm paying about $3 a pound for high gluten flour from the local froo froo chef spot and I can't keep this up forever.
When do I cut my loses?
...or should I just shake the dog above the mixing bowl and get some real house strain in that sucker?

Just to be clear, you're keeping the starter uncovered?

If you want to go purist, you could keep on keeping on. Eventually you'll have some activity.

...or if you want to cheat (just a bit) you could throw a pinch or two of bread yeast in your starter to get things going. It's not authentic but I'm not ashamed to say I've done it a time or two with pretty good results. I won't tell :D

I already posted this in the "what did I cook" thread, but it's pizza related, too. The dough was bread flour and a 3 day rise in the fridge, which has really been working out well for fluffy but sturdy pizza crust.

This is bbq pulled pork, onions, peppers, and cheese in a stromboli.

img_2055.jpg

We had pizza Friday again yesterday. Made 3 12" pizza's this time. I'll post some pics after I get painting done & put the man cave back together in it's altered form...

OK, finally got the room rearranged enough to work my way back to the wire shelf where my camera bag was. So here are the pics of last Fridays further experiments with my biscuit crust country-style pizzas. I upped the EVOOL from 1/4C to about 1/3C. Crust was a bit too firm, so I'll cut back to 1/4C. The crust was better that time. Golden & a bit crunchy/crusty on the outside, tender & pastry-like on the inside. Browned real nice on the bottom. I also use tub margarine rather than other fats in the crust recipe.
All three with mix of 1 can pizza sauce, 1 can tomato sauce, a lil EVOOL, & a rounded TBSP of Organic herbs de provence. Nice tall, square glass bottle I'm gonna save! Topped with pepperoni, Morell skinless hot smoked sausage from Dollar Tree, & their shredded cheese. I found out all to late, after I finally read the back of the bags, that it isn't made for melting. Won't be using that again.

So with less EVOOL & some good cheese, I think the 12" rounds are easier to form & actually turn out better over-all. Just gotta use less EVOOL from now on to get that pastry-like crust.

I made three on Saturday but didn't take any pics. I used a leftover dough to make this one for lunch yesterday. Doughball originally made for a 15 inch pie, instead used in a 12 inch pan for a thicker pizza. Mozz, pep and sausage.

What's your recipe for that size pie I'm curious because I am trying to figure out how much flour I need to make a bigger pie

Prosciutto and sopressata, and a veggie with a pesto sauce.
On a side note, my sourdough starter took off and the dog was unharmed, thanks all.

Glad your dog wasn't 'harmed'. Starvin' to death by the looks, poor guy. At least you use proper pizza trays. Love it.

I use about 3/4 cup starter and a tsp. yeast to my 2 C total flour crust. I get a 11" crust or so. My starter is 2 parts flour to 1 part water feeder. I found that using lard and corn meal on my pans at 450* works very well.

What's your recipe for that size pie I'm curious because I am trying to figure out how much flour I need to make a bigger pie

That particular batch was for 5 balls @ 400g each.
Hi gluten flour 1221g
H2o 733g
Kosher salt 21g
olive oil 2 tablespoons
1 teaspoon instant yeast
2 day cold ferment balled

Latest posts

Back