The Home Made Pizza Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not a good pic, this is a ham and pineapple I did last night

ForumRunner_20130603_060409.png

No I didn't. I did it directly on the grill grate. I did think about trying that next time. Would you recommend that?

Or possibly using my cast iron pan. Would that work?

I find insufficient evidence on Wikipedia to distinguish either term on a technical basis of the contents, or topping of the item. Shape appears most important, and in this case doesn't appear to be a half moon, but who cares. Looks tasty!

I find insufficient evidence on Wikipedia to distinguish either term on a technical basis of the contents, or topping of the item. Shape appears most important, and in this case doesn't appear to be a half moon, but who cares. Looks tasty!

I appreciate the discussion!!

My understanding was that a stromboli was a sandwich, or at the least has sauce in it......this is anecdotal, however from the few "italian" places I have been in, where I got calzone or stromboli.

:mug:

EDIT* That is effing wierd. I thought I knew the difference! I am betting now that one is from one part of Italy, and the other (although the same r2d2 damned thing) is from another part of italy*

No I didn't. I did it directly on the grill grate. I did think about trying that next time. Would you recommend that?

Or possibly using my cast iron pan. Would that work?

I've never tried cast iron but if you look back at the posts in this thread I believe others have posted good results with it. I would definitely recommend a stone though.

I've never tried cast iron but if you look back at the posts in this thread I believe others have posted good results with it. I would definitely recommend a stone though.

Oh Hell!!!!! That reminds me!!!

I have made FANTASTIC deep dish in my BIG cast iron.

Only drawback is the inability to peek at the bottom of the crust.

The cast Iron could be flipped upside down and would work quite well also......

*emberrasing anecdote* If I flipped my BIG bad ass cast iron over and made pizza, the crust if seen from below on a glass table, would say CRACKER BARREL (backwards of course) with an equally cheesy picture ;)

I may have been the one to post about the cast iron :) But it was a deep dish pizza that I did in the oven, so that's why I was asking about the grill.

Oh Hell!!!!! That reminds me!!!

I have made FANTASTIC deep dish in my BIG cast iron.

Only drawback is the inability to peek at the bottom of the crust.

The cast Iron could be flipped upside down and would work quite well also......

*emberrasing anecdote* If I flipped my BIG bad ass cast iron over and made pizza, the crust if seen from below on a glass table, would say CRACKER BARREL (backwards of course) with an equally cheesy picture ;)
Nice. Mine was a 9" cast iron I used to make a 2 serving deep dish. Came out quite well. I need to experiment more, but I thought the cast iron worked nicely (though right side up).

A stone is a MUST for good thin crust pizza at home, if your in to pan pizza ( which I am not) then a stone might not be worth the cost of entry.

If you going to buy a stone don't waste your money on a cheap one. I bought two cheapies, both of which broke with in a month, they are not able to handle the 550 degree oven. I shelled out the money for a fibrament stone 4-5 years ago and it's still making great pizza and bread.

Tried something new last night: Used Mae Ploy sweet chili sauce instead of tomato sauce on a pizza with Canadian bacon, pineapple & mozzerella cheese...

It was pretty tasty! Sweet & a little spice that sorta snuk up on ya. Next time I'll mix that sweet chili sauce with tomato sauce, add some fresh basil & add more meat, maybe sausage & artichoke hearts.
Regards, GF.

gratus fermentatio said:
Tried something new last night: Used Mae Ploy sweet chili sauce instead of tomato sauce on a pizza with Canadian bacon, pineapple & mozzerella cheese...

It was pretty tasty! Sweet & a little spice that sorta snuk up on ya. Next time I'll mix that sweet chili sauce with tomato sauce, add some fresh basil & add more meat, maybe sausage & artichoke hearts.
Regards, GF.

Cool!

One of my faves is to layer some spicy BBQ sauce on top of tomato sauce base, then cheese, and top with pepperoni, pulled BBQ pork, bacon, sausage, sprinkle with BBQ rub, and another application of spicy BBQ sauce. Using one of the squeeze bottles with a thin stream of the BBQ sauce helps to get it just right without over gloppy mess. Have also used peeled skinned fresh peaches and ham as additional toppings for my BBQ pizza. One of my faves.
The spicy chili sauce I suspect added a lot of depth with the sweet fruit and bacon flavor (I prefer American style bacon).

Did you take a pic??

TD

Experimented with using my cast iron on my grill. It worked out very good. I oiled the pan, put the crust in. I then started heating it on the stove. I added my sauce, cheese and veggies. After the pan was warmed up, I put it on my hot grill. Cooked for maybe 6-7 minutes and took it off. It turned out pretty good. I think next time I'd try to make the crust the size of the pan so that the edges could get crispy (I did a ~10" crust in a 12" cast iron). I'd also probably turn down the heat of the grill after I the the pan on instead of leaving it on high. I'd rather the top got more done, but the bottom was getting crispy. I think I'll make every pizza on the grill, especially in the summer because I don't have to heat up the house.

Here's the obligatory picture. Note the crust had some spend grain flour in it, so that's why it's darker.

OfQdKNL.jpg

Would it be terribly off topic to mention that the pizza peel doubles as a fun serving apparatus for cured meats and cheeses as well as accoutrements on nights that you are not having pizza?

Also, when SWMBO has her back to you, it is a handy tool to whack her in the posterior with. Just dont put any stank on it, I don't condone domestic abuse.

Nice loaf there. Is that a rye bread?

Here's a couple pies from last night.

Thanks, it's about 1/3 rye.. google "ed wood swedish limpa" and you should find the recipe for it, it's very tasty. Those pies look magnificent btw, as usual.

:mug:

Thanks. Those were part of a test bake with a new flour, General Mills Neapolitan Hearth style Pizza Flour. It's milled to "00" grade like the more expensive imported Italian flour. My friend contacted GM and asked for a sample. They sent her a 50 lb. bag! Score! It seems to be a pretty good flour but the flavor isn't quite as complex as the Caputo. I think more testing is in order.....

001.JPG_thumb.jpeg

Ha! That's awesome. Is she a baker or something?

I work in R&D with chemicals and many times when asking for a sample of a chemical, they will have to send out a huge sample (kg's when I only need grams usually) as it's much easier for them to send out a big sample than a small sample. I once received a sample of 1 kg of the active in Claritin when the active dose is 10 mg, so I could have made 100,000 doses!

I have dabbled in making pan pizzas... I was not able to get consistent results, but at the same time I did not put in enough experimentation time. I need to get some pizza screens just so I can concentrate on other stuff besides whether or not I can get the sucker off of the peel!

Cool!

One of my faves is to layer some spicy BBQ sauce on top of tomato sauce base, then cheese, and top with pepperoni, pulled BBQ pork, bacon, sausage, sprinkle with BBQ rub, and another application of spicy BBQ sauce. Using one of the squeeze bottles with a thin stream of the BBQ sauce helps to get it just right without over gloppy mess. Have also used peeled skinned fresh peaches and ham as additional toppings for my BBQ pizza. One of my faves.
The spicy chili sauce I suspect added a lot of depth with the sweet fruit and bacon flavor (I prefer American style bacon).

Did you take a pic??

TD

Sorry, no pic; that pie didn't last long. :)
AWESOME idea to use peaches! I'm definately going to try that combo with some blue cheese next pizza night! I like to use American bacon on pizza too, sometimes I'll even sprinkle a wee bit of brown sugar on the bacon (just the bacon) when I put it on the pie. Works well with peppered bacon & hickory smoked.
Regards, GF.

Sorry, no pic; that pie didn't last long. :)
AWESOME idea to use peaches! I'm definately going to try that combo with some blue cheese next pizza night! I like to use American bacon on pizza too, sometimes I'll even sprinkle a wee bit of brown sugar on the bacon (just the bacon) when I put it on the pie. Works well with peppered bacon & hickory smoked.
Regards, GF.

For those that did not know, if you take a whole tray of bacon, and cover it with brown sugar or maple syrup and then bake it, its called "pig candy"!! Almost the same thing, but not quite...:mug:

Thanks. Those were part of a test bake with a new flour, General Mills Neapolitan Hearth style Pizza Flour. It's milled to "00" grade like the more expensive imported Italian flour. My friend contacted GM and asked for a sample. They sent her a 50 lb. bag! Score! It seems to be a pretty good flour but the flavor isn't quite as complex as the Caputo. I think more testing is in order.....

Im glad to see im not the only one with 50 pounds of flour although I use almost exclusively KAF. I will have to look up the specs on that flour but it sounds like a first clear.

This thread is really making me want pizza, which is surprising considering I am stuck eating it for lunch 2-3 times a week

#firstworldproblems :D

I want it again and I just had it Sunday night and leftovers for lunch today.

There are so MANY varieties of "pizza" that having it often is ok......assuming you aren't having Papa John's every time........or even often.

Latest posts

Back