The Grocery Store Challenge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you live in a place where grocery stores sell beer,
If I live in a place where grocery stores sell beer?
Not way out here in Detroit.
Seriously, getting yeast from beer seems obvious or less of a challenge.

we'll see, i plan on staying in the ring more then one round
I know very little about beer unless on the beaten path. "What to malt" seems to be where I'm stuck. I don't doubt there are breakfast cereals with all barley or something. I never eat it so I'm a little out of the loop.

Seriously, getting yeast from beer seems obvious or less of a challenge.

If I were going to go the fruit yeast route, I'd probably be looking for the powderiest grapes I could find.

I don't doubt there are breakfast cereals with all barley or something. I never eat it so I'm a little out of the loop.

Thr trick is to find a grain that hasn't been dehusked (if a normally husked grain) or polished. You need the aleurone layer to be intact. My guess is you won't find any breakfast cereals with grains in that state.

powderiest grapes
That was the fruit I was trying to remember.
hr trick is to find a grain that hasn't been dehusked (if a normally husked grain) or polished. You need the aleurone layer to be intact. My guess is you won't find any breakfast cereals with grains in that state.
That's what makes me think that beer production shouldn't be the goal in a grocery store but wine and mead for sure.
I'll be looking forward to reading of any successes that taste like beer.

I've always wondered if Caro (the coffee substitute drink powder) made with malted barley would beer... Perhaps some enzymes survived the processing?

I know very little about beer unless on the beaten path. "What to malt" seems to be where I'm stuck. I don't doubt there are breakfast cereals with all barley or something. I never eat it so I'm a little out of the loop.

well, i can say...cleanching your ass cheeks isn't going to keep you safe from the rock man...

loosen up up, relaxe, have some fun....i'm trying brown rice sprouts, because i've sprouted em before...but never realy tested their enzymes, just knew they didn't mash, probably because of the high gel temp of the starch....going to see if it will convert white gravy though! should be quick to observe! gravy turned to sweet water by sprouted rice...

I've always wondered if Caro (the coffee substitute drink powder) made with malted barley would beer... Perhaps some enzymes survived the processing?

well, we're all just goofing off, give it a try and find out! be sure to explain the proccess for critiism.....i need to know if you mash at the right temp, or gel'd the starch first! :mug:

Doesn't vegemite contain leftover brewers yeast? Just sayin'...

I think I remember reading that bullion cubes contain yeast...

Also couldn't one make a sour dough from flour and get yeast there?

Thats all too far for me but just tossing up ideas...

Yeast is no problem, malting is no problem, enzymes to convert stuff are no problem, the problem is a proper bittering agent that has the same antibacterial properties that hops have.

A grocery store's "strength" appears to be wine or mead but not anything beer-like.
Yeast can be gotten from some of the fruits, if I'm not mistaken.
I was looking at the brewers yeast in the vitamin/supplement aisle, but does not look promising as I think it is inactive. There should be bread yeast for sure, but wild yeast on some of the fruits and veg. Also the spouts near me has a lot of botanicals/extracts. I can get yarrow, feverfew, and a bunch of other stuff so bittering should not be much of an issue. Now it is just working on flavor combos and grain conversion if you want to make a beer. You could always use some probiotics to sour it to hide the yeast character. Good belly or yogurt should work. :mug:

I was looking at the brewers yeast in the vitamin/supplement aisle, but does not look promising as I think it is inactive. There should be bread yeast for sure, but wild yeast on some of the fruits and veg. Also the spouts near me has a lot of botanicals/extracts. I can get yarrow, feverfew, and a bunch of other stuff so bittering should not be much of an issue. Now it is just working on flavor combos and grain conversion if you want to make a beer. You could always use some probiotics to sour it to hide the yeast character. Good belly or yogurt should work
Those are some good points.
Grocery stores are varied pretty widely--Kroger VS Whole Foods and maybe Trader Joe's and whatever is in between.
Anyone come up with the best hop substitute? You might have, wasn't watching that closely.
Brussel sprouts come to mind--those puppies can be decently bitter. And then there's got to be a host of others like cabbage and so forth.
As I mentioned earlier, I'm concerned about the base (barley) and what could be subbed.

I saw some sprouted spelt flour and I wonder if this still has enzymes intact? I know there will be some wild yeast in there for sure, but I don't think I want a sour beer.

Yeast is no problem, malting is no problem, enzymes to convert stuff are no problem, the problem is a proper bittering agent that has the same antibacterial properties that hops have.
Or smaller batches so it gets consumed before it goes bad. Question of how bad also, lacto is definitely an option.

That's not a problem either if you make a sour beer instead of hopped. (I've done it before, it was pretty good)

Grape-Nuts ingredients:

Screenshot_20220224-194922_Chrome.jpg

Prob no enzymes left, tho.

Bread (or any ready-to-eat breakfast cereal) and Bean-o might work. No malt necessary. Ferment with bread yeast. No, I don't want to try it. :)

I have used cheap white bread as a fermentable before and it worked okay. Cornflakes cereal (different brew) worked better, OTOH the cornflakes were a much more reasonable percentage of the grist.

That's not a problem either if you make a sour beer instead of hopped. (I've done it before, it was pretty good)
That is true. If you want a sour beer, the supermarket has everything you need. I just like the challenge to NOT sour the beer somehow!

Probablby we would end up with something that needs to be drunk during active fermentation, just like those oldschool ales. Otherwise it would sour over time.

Or smaller batches so it gets consumed before it goes bad. Question of how bad also, lacto is definitely an option.
Yep, sorry, saw your post after I wrote the previous one. The medieval beers were kind of drunken fresh during fermentation, before lactos could completely take over, a bit like a kvaas nowadays... speaking of which, I have to start a new one. Isn't kvaas actually exactly what we are talking about?

How about Malta? Does that count? There was an article in BYO (I think) years and years ago about using Malta to make starters.

what about just dropping what ever creative sweet liquid on an old yeast cake? basicaly grew the yeast yourself?

Human saliva has amylase enzymes if anyone is willing to try 😄
several years ago, Sam Calagione had a short-lived series on cable called Brew Masters. in one episode, he traveled to Peru to learn how to make Chicha. the best part was a short clip showing some of his employees who had volunteered to help chew and spit out 100 lb of corn to go into a batch of Chica made at Dogfish Head. the video is available on amazon. just search Brew Masters. it is episode 2. $1.99 in SD, 2.99 in HD.

So when the zombie apocalypse occurs, I'm gonna cheat and look for just three ingredients: Bread yeast and
1645793291546.png
And
1645793444203.png
According to the information found here:
https://www.hogtownbrewers.org/brewschooldocs/malt-beverage-starter-info.pdfthree 12oz bottles of Malta Goya can be diluted down to make 1.7 L of yeast starter at 1.040.
I'll then add the bread yeast and once its going I'll step feed the Piloncillo (or regular sugar ) to try to make a 7-8% ABV beverage.
Will it be beer? Well sort of, at least it will have barley and hops in it.
What grocery store spices/herbs would go with this?

Last edited:
several years ago, Sam Calagione had a short-lived series on cable called Brew Masters. in one episode, he traveled to Peru to learn how to make Chicha. the best part was a short clip showing some of his employees who had volunteered to help chew and spit out 100 lb of corn to go into a batch of Chica made at Dogfish Head. the video is available on amazon. just search Brew Masters. it is episode 2. $1.99 in SD, 2.99 in HD.

i saw it when it was on....

For apocalypse beer, you might want to skip the Piloncillo. Modern Malta isn't exactly like the original Malta. It's loaded with added sugars. The first two ingredients (after water) are high fructose corn syrup and corn syrup.
I edited my post with a recipe/instructions.....
I took the day off work to go skiing, but an ice storm ruined that plan, I might make a zombie beer instead....
:bott:

I have some grocery store wine going right now that I started a week ago. It just finished fermenting but hasn't started clearing yet. Two 18 ounce jars of Aldi strawberry preserves, a gallon of water (should have been about 5 quarts of water,) and half a packet of wine yeast. (bread yeast would have worked) It's about 9% ABV right now, which is stronger than what I want so I will dilute it a bit at bottling. I'll prime and bottle it like beer, for a sparkling beverage kinda like cider.

No idea if it will be any good, that's why such a small batch.

I've got a baby; he's just turning one today. We make him oatmeal with milk, fruit puree and this cereal stuff. I've spent many hours spoon feeding this kid while contemplating the potential of the alpha amylase listed right on the ingredients list.

Earth's Best Organic Baby Oatmeal Cereal, 8 oz. Box

Congrats! Our baby is only 8 months old. I'm always amazed how liquid the leftover oatmeal in her bowl is (if you leave it for a bit). I think the enzymes contained in saliva do a good job breaking down those starches. Wonder how much spit you'd need to convert an entire 5 gallon batch? ^^

I know oatmilk is made using enzymes, but I'm afraid those have been deactivated prior to packaging. This might be pushing the limits of "grocery store", but I'd go to a larger Asian grocery store and look for anything koji-related. Maybe I'd find some source of alpha-amylase there.

Latest posts

Back