The Germans have failed!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skyforger

Reaction score
I just opened a Hofbrau Maibock. Strangely, it was hazy. I looked into the bottle. On the bottom, a small ring of yeast sat placidly on the bottom.

Could it be? Was it possible that a reputable German brewhouse had allowed a cell of yeast to survive into the bottle? That their century-long regime of filtering had allowed this rogue bottle, a lone refugee, to escape its ruthless net?

It seems so.

It's kind of different, this beer. It reminds me of a Kellerbier. It tastes like life - life lived microscopically, asexually in the bottle.

Is that a hint of musk? This yeast pines for release. This beer is german, and it is alive. Let us relish this thought for a moment.

Alright. Now more rationally. This isn't bad. I'm drinking it, and enjoying it. I kind of wish this sort of random imposition of nature upon the best-laid plans of men happened more often. But the balance isn't quite there, and the taste of yeast is a bit strong. I'm gaining new respect for makers of Kellerbier, who manage to get around these problems. But I begin to see that, in most cases, a maibock should remain a maibock - filtered, or drunk soon. This has been fun, though.

Back