the foamless finish adaptor for the the last straw

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

curtisbrewer

Reaction score
has anyone tried using the foamless finish adapter for the last straw bottle filler?

link:
http://www.northernbrewer.com/foamless-finish

i rarely bottle beer and the last straw was a gift i have used two or three times and not with ease. just curious if anyone has tried it, since i started 10 gallon batches i have been looking to bottle some for safe keeping and to keep the keg rotation flowing. still seems like im going to need more kegs( who doesn't) but was wondering if anyone had experience or if i will be the one to shell out the 50 and report back.

has anyone tried using the foamless finish adapter for the last straw bottle filler?

link:
http://www.northernbrewer.com/foamless-finish

i rarely bottle beer and the last straw was a gift i have used two or three times and not with ease. just curious if anyone has tried it, since i started 10 gallon batches i have been looking to bottle some for safe keeping and to keep the keg rotation flowing. still seems like im going to need more kegs( who doesn't) but was wondering if anyone had experience or if i will be the one to shell out the 50 and report back.

It almost seems like it's an over-engineered stopper to me. I'm having a hard time seeing what it does that a stopper with 2 holes drilled in it couldn't. I don't have it or the bottle filler so I don't know how it's supposed to work or help.

I am curious also. I have the Last Straw bottle filler and tried using it once and I couldn't get anything but foam. Northern Brewer even sent me a replacement Last Straw, but I haven't used it yet out of fear of wasting beer. I have the old Blichmann beer gun and it works perfect. I do want to get the Last Straw to work, it has some nice features. Hopefully somebody can chime in about the foamless finish.

I'm awfully tempted by it, because dear god do I get nothing but foam with my last straw, no matter what I do.

I'm awfully tempted by it, because dear god do I get nothing but foam with my last straw, no matter what I do.

Just get 25 feet of beer line to run the bottle filler. If you do, DO NOT release the pressure on the keg, and DO NOT turn your co2 pressure way down. I fill bottles this way and have great results. Get the long line, coil it up and zip tie it, enjoy bottling from kegs.

I came to this solution by applying line length balancing concept, then extended it a little more.

Just get 25 feet of beer line to run the bottle filler. If you do, DO NOT release the pressure on the keg, and DO NOT turn your co2 pressure way down. I fill bottles this way and have great results. Get the long line, coil it up and zip tie it, enjoy bottling from kegs.

I came to this solution by applying line length balancing concept, then extended it a little more.

Worth a shot - I already run the 10 ft that comes with it - but hadn't thought to try running a huge amount

Worth a shot - I already run the 10 ft that comes with it - but hadn't thought to try running a huge amount

Yeah I started with 10 ft, then got fed up with it and thought I'd try the ridiculously long line. It worked. I have bottled carbonated beer from kegs set at 14 - 16 psi with minimal foam and lasting carbonation in capped bottles. You really have to resist the temptation to "purge" the keg or drop the pressure. If you don't resist that urge, as soon as you change the pressure (releasing it or lowering it), the beer in keg will start foaming up due to off gassing.

A good way to tell how the bottle is going to fill is by filling a pint glass with the filler. You should get less foam than you do when filling a glass from the faucet.

Any updates? Long line do the trick for everyone else as well? I continue to battle foam with my stock setup and can get a couple of bottles filled for competitions if I just let it foam over a bunch but even then they come out as shorter than I'd like fills.

Any updates? Long line do the trick for everyone else as well? I continue to battle foam with my stock setup and can get a couple of bottles filled for competitions if I just let it foam over a bunch but even then they come out as shorter than I'd like fills.

So I can't promise this will work for you...but I complained to northern about how the foamless finish should come with the beer gun since I already paid so much for it...and they sent me a coupon for a free foamless finish, which works MUCH better.

Are your bottles cold'ish and wet when you fill? Get a bottle rinser, fill it with saniclean and cold water, run cold cleaner through your lines first, then pour yourself a pint with the gun, then rinse/fill the rest of the bottles and you should be good.

I have used the last straw with foamless finish a couple times. I’m happy with it. I’m not getting a bunch of foam and the fill is where you want it. No need to drop pressure, bleed headspace, etc. I had a CPBF but I’m glad I moved on to this one.

Are your bottles cold'ish and wet when you fill? Get a bottle rinser, fill it with saniclean and cold water, run cold cleaner through your lines first, then pour yourself a pint with the gun, then rinse/fill the rest of the bottles and you should be good.

I'm checking off all the points you made when I fill but still have issues. Thanks though!

Back