The Electric Brewery with RIMS Rocket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eagle23

Reaction score
Hey all,

I caught the bug to start looking at an electric system when I get out of the condo (or maybe before if the stars align) I was looking at The Electric Brewery for Ideas and direction, but to have the mash process totally separate from the HLT, so I was thinking using a RIMS Rocket. But I dont have a strong electricalr background so I need some advice

So Question is: Using The Electric Brewery 50Amp control panel for doing back to back batches, could I wire in a RIMS setup into it and not have it be hazardous/ineffective? I know that I would need to make another hole in the control panel to plug the RIMS in. I just want to make sure I could do that and not cause a bunch of other problems

Thanks a lot

50A is 11000W at 220vac; 12000W at 240vac.
My system runs 2x 5500w elements (HLT+BK).
You may want to go 3500w on HLT, 2000w on rims, and 5500w on BK.
This would be fine and pretty easy to implement with a BCS or whatever controller you plan on using.

The main concern I had when I was looking at the KAL system while living in an apartment/condo was access to power and not knowing what I would have at the new place. I went ahead and built a dual element countertop system that you can use a RIMS and march pumps. This allows you get some components and grow later on should you move somewhere else with access to 30A or 50A.

To answer your question with regard to the KAL panel,you would need another PID and Solid State Relay tied to the Heat sink and another receptacle out to power the RIMS. You could alternatively change the Mash PID to be the RIMS PID accomplish this without adding another PID, but would lose the capability to monitor the Mash Tun Temp at the panel as it would just give you a temperature from the exit of the RIMS tube.

Two concerns in using the prebuilt panel is when you hole saw the new receptacle you will send a ton of metal fragments into the panel. Not sure if this will affect anything but it is something to be aware of. Also the bottom of the B2B panel is pretty crammed, so you will need to think hard about where the receptacle would go.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/the-cold-bottom-brewery.391263/

Latest posts

Back