The Black Sheep Of The Family

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The_Glue

Reaction score
So i brewed a beer which i put into 4 glass carboys. I added rehydrated yeast from the same little pan to the 4 different carboys.

So 3 of the carboys looks totally the same (thick, vomit looking regular krausen) while the 4th carboy developed a clear white foam with big bubbles (the lag time and bubbling speed is the same) and by the third day it even smells different. It still smells good but it is an other kind of good. It kinda smells like banana mixed with the normal smells of the other carboys, really nice actually.
So maybe i totally underpitched the 4th one because i didn't stir up the rehydrated yeast during pitching or what? Infection? I doubt an infection can grow as fast as pitched yeast.

How about some pics?

I took this ~27 hours after pitching

WP_20150920_18_18_18_Pro.jpg

If the lag times were similar, I'd imagine that you did relatively well at splitting up the yeast somewhat evenly. If you had way underpitched that one carboy, it would have taken considerably longer to start. One possibility is that the carboy with the white krausen on top could have been the last carboy to be filled from the full batch volume. It might be that all of the trub/protein break/hop material is in the first three carboys and is making them look gunky compared to the fourth carboy which may have had just perfectly clear wort in it. Let em' ride and see what happens!

If the lag times were similar, I'd imagine that you did relatively well at splitting up the yeast somewhat evenly. If you had way underpitched that one carboy, it would have taken considerably longer to start. One possibility is that the carboy with the white krausen on top could have been the last carboy to be filled from the full batch volume. It might be that all of the trub/protein break/hop material is in the first three carboys and is making them look gunky compared to the fourth carboy which may have had just perfectly clear wort in it. Let em' ride and see what happens!

I think you might be right, i just checked out the carboys and all three carboys had a gigantic layer of hop trub* on the bottom while the fourth one had almost nothing on the bottom.

*nowadays i intentionally put all the trub into the carboys since i've seen that Trub vs. No Trub article on Brülosophy

Back