The best porter/stout base for an experimental batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdbrewer1

Reaction score
Hi all,

What I'm trying to do is brew a single 5 gal batch of a porter/stout and then experiment with a handful of different additions in separate containers.

The three flavors that are currently at the top of my list are:
Vanilla Bourbon
Coconut
Peppermint

Is there a single style that would be suited for all 3 variations? I understand if there isn't a one size fits all answer. I'm very new to the obsession (this would only be my 3rd batch following an Irish Red kit and a Centennial Blonde) so I'm really not sure where to begin. I currently am only doing extracts, which might make the answer even more difficult. I'm not sure.

I'm also interested in some other flavors, but to a lesser extent. Maple pecan, chocolate oatmeal, cherry, anise. If there is a base that would work well for one or two of the top 3 plus one or two of the others, I could go that route for this batch and then attack some of the other variations at a later date. The number one priority is the Vanilla Bourbon though.

I just did a basic stout with 6.6 lbs of briess traditional dark lme and did a partial mash of 2lb chocolate malt. I kegged it Saturday and tried a small glass yesterday. It was under carbed but really good. It has a really simple flavor that I think would work well for what your trying to do.

I just did a basic stout with 6.6 lbs of briess traditional dark lme and did a partial mash of 2lb chocolate malt. I kegged it Saturday and tried a small glass yesterday. It was under carbed but really good. It has a really simple flavor that I think would work well for what your trying to do.
Thanks Bennie. I figured simpler was better.

What kind of hops and yeast did you use? I've looked over a bunch of different recipes and see a wide variety of hops. Magnum, Northern Brewer, Williamette, Cluster, etc. I've seen several that use East Kent Goldings towards the end of the boil.

Thanks!

If I attempt this recipe again I will probably use half the chocolate malt and sub something else. I've had about 6 beers off my keg so far and I really rich in chocolate flavor. Tastes like I'm drinking straight chocolate lol!

Back