The 2014 NHC First Round - Results/Speculation Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got my sheets from KC today -

My CAP scored 29.5 and didn't advance (but as consolation, took a silver in another comp last weekend)

My Maple Bourbon Cider scored 39 and won category 28. Very psyched about that - first time I've ever advanced anything to the second round.

I'm going to go drink a pilsner to celebrate, now that I don't have to worry about whether to save or re-brew that one!

Thanks for giving me hope pstrohs! I was unable to get the back door to work, but I found your list of winners.

My KC scoresheets came today - a 44 in Herb/Spice/Veg, a 41 for my Cal Common, and a 35 for Irish Red. None of them had places marked, although the Cal Common and Irish Red were marked mini-bos. It looks like *maybe I eerked out 3rd in the Scottish Irish category.

As luck has it, I am rebrewing that exact beer tomorrow in preparation for club night in GR.

Fingers crossed for final results.

thank you for the Austin post Outchillen!
I wasnt able to back door it, and it was driving me crazy. Really, really happy with the results... took 1st with the hefe that I'll be serving at my wedding, and maybe 2nd with the alt. Not sure how cat 7 has 6 ppl that placed, but I'll find out soon enough.

please, if you post results here, remove any entry names that include specialty information. Specifically Categories 20-28. This information should not be available when the results are officially released.
For example, there will not be a lot of huckleberry melomels in the Final Round, and we need to maintain anonymity...

thank you, and good luck to everyone that advances.

we need to maintain anonymity...
It looks like you feel strongly enough about this to create a phantom screen name.

Why? If you win in the final round, isn't your name and recipe published? I don't believe that anonymity was part of the terms of entry.

It looks like you feel strongly enough about this to create a phantom screen name.

Why? If you win in the final round, isn't your name and recipe published? I don't believe that anonymity was part of the terms of entry.

Anonymity of ENTRIES between 1st round and final round for judging purposes - not the people's names, but the special ingredients that will signify "one-of-a-kind" beers that are going to show up in the finals.

If you look at how the results are ultimately published - you can see that it is name, club, category number/substyle - but not the "special ingredients/name" of the beer:

Look here to see how 2013 results were released-
http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/competitions/national-homebrew-competition/winners/

As I mentioned in an earlier post - be careful with these results. The fact that some people found a "backdoor" to get into unpublished/unverified results is all fine and good - but remember that it is likely a few people are going to find out they really did not actually qualify, and a few people are going to find out in a month that there beer actually made it, and they did not know it. Probably very few - but there will be a couple, and it will be upsetting to them.

The fact that some people found a "backdoor" to get into unpublished/unverified results is all fine and good -
Speaking of "backdoor", are people still able to look at results this way? It stopped working for me this morning.

please, if you post results here, remove any entry names that include specialty information. Specifically Categories 20-28. This information should not be available when the results are officially released.
For example, there will not be a lot of huckleberry melomels in the Final Round, and we need to maintain anonymity...

thank you, and good luck to everyone that advances.

I don't feel that posting those is a big deal, but out of respect for the BJCP, I took them down

The comp is done in Philadelphia. I don't think they are going to post results for a while. My brother and I advanced with a gold in dark lagers.

Great Job, Sketer. Can't wait to see the full results. Not having high hopes for my AIPA after seeing so many IPA entries in the other judging center results. 50+ IPAs is stiff competition, but mine is distinctly West Coast, so maybe it stands out among the East Coasters.

Looks like AHA is on to us and the door has been shut lol. Ah well, back to obsessive googling for any snippet of information we can find... Ironic we can wait weeks on end for our creation to be ready but when it comes to competition results we want them immedietly, me included of course :drunk: Good luck to everyone as we wait sooooo patiently lol
(Disclaimer- This is humor. If you feel slighted or offended Im not sorry at all. Go have a beer)

Kinda sucks that some sites judge prior to others and that the info gets released. That's a distinct advantage over other sites.

1. The beer spends less time in the bottler
2. You there is more time rebrew beers that do best fresh.

I understand that it's a lot of work to coordinate, but I don't like it :D

Kinda sucks that some sites judge prior to others and that the info gets released. That's a distinct advantage over other sites.

1. The beer spends less time in the bottler
2. You there is more time rebrew beers that do best fresh.

I understand that it's a lot of work to coordinate, but I don't like it :D

Initially, I thought the same thing, but that's not so much the case. You aren't competing against others sites...you are competing against all the beers at one site. They all arrived during the same week & we all knew that we needed to plan best to hit that window as fresh as possible. So all bottles are going to age the same as those that are put together in a flight on the day of the judging. As for the time spent to rebrew your beer, that shouldn't be an issue either. If you count backwards from June 12th (NHC 2nd/final round), add a week or so for shipping, then you can already plan for your brewday.

Most "fresh" beers have relatively short turnaround times, so everyone should be able to plan ahead with plenty of time between the 1st & 2nd rounds.

Yeah I agree with the bottler thing. Now that I look at it, I realize it doesn't make any sense :drunk:

I just hope that the results are released with enough time. And more importantly that I placed :D

Looks like they're still not done judging in Nashville. From the hosting club's FB page:

FINAL NHC JUDGING SESSION!!!!
I need any and all available judges (or newbies who want to judge or learn to judge) on Tuesday 4/8/14 @ Rebel 6pm. Also need a couple stewards as well. If u can make it out, PLEASE DO! Let [us] know if you can make it. We will be judging English Browns and Meads.

Looks like they're still not done judging in Nashville. From the hosting club's FB page:

I need any and all available judges (or newbies who want to judge or learn to judge) on Tuesday 4/8/14 @ Rebel 6pm. Also need a couple stewards as well. If u can make it out, PLEASE DO! Let [us] know if you can make it. We will be judging English Browns and Meads.

You have got to be kidding me... You made this up. Link? Screenshot? There is no way that someone would seriously post something like that for a national competition... Pictures or it didn't happen!!

You have got to be kidding me... You made this up. Link? Screenshot? There is no way that someone would seriously post something like that for a national competition... Pictures or it didn't happen!!

It's here:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/musiccitybrewers/

I need any and all available judges (or newbies who want to judge or learn to judge) on Tuesday 4/8/14 @ Rebel 6pm. Also need a couple stewards as well. If u can make it out, PLEASE DO! Let me or Jonathan Adams know if you can make it. We will be judging English Browns and Meads.

Derp.jpg

Sorry, this absolutely infuriates me. When I see how well run other competition centers are like KC and then see this crap from Nashville, it really makes me wonder why anyone would send the AHA $14 more dollars in 2015. I posted this to the AHA forums so hopefully someone there can see it.

Well dip me in pickle juice. I'm flabbergasted. Maybe I'm spoiled with the judging events that I've watched & recently even participated in, but if I had entered my beers into the Tennessee competition, I'd be pretty ticked at the lack of integrity being displayed by this judging center. Oh wait...all 4 of my entries are in Nashville... Yeah, not pleased is an understatement. Publicly recruiting newbies to judge or even train at a national competition is mindblowing. At the very least, just ask for stewards & then recruit at the event, but don't let the whole world know that you can't find judges for beer that was scheduled to be judged over a week ago. I can see my score sheets now:

Aroma - Smells like beer
Appearance - Looks like beer
Flavor - Tastes like beer
Mouthfeel - My mouth feels wet & squishy
Overall Impression - I got free beer! I'm impressed.

They need more BJCP judges everywhere, it's people like myself that are contributing to the problem. I want to be a judge, but It's just not a clear enough path for me so I stop :(
I think they need to stream line the entire process to get more judges to sign up.

I'd be pretty mad if I went through the expense of brewing a beer, bottling,shipping and paying for the competition to have some one learning how to judge with my beer. I think the cost is much more that $14

They need more BJCP judges everywhere, it's people like myself that are contributing to the problem. I want to be a judge, but It's just not a clear enough path for me so I stop :(
I think they need to stream line the entire process to get more judges to sign up.

I'd be pretty mad if I went through the expense of brewing a beer, bottling,shipping and paying for the competition to have some one learning how to judge with my beer. I think the cost is much more that $14

FWIW:

Becoming a BJCP judge is pretty easy.

Step 1) Take the online test.
Step 2) Register for the Tasting Exam
Step 3) Take tasting exam

The only difficult part is getting into a tasting exam that's a reasonable distance away. I understand for some people this is not practical.

Also, if your local tasting exam is full get on the wait list. You would be amazed how many people drop out a few days before the actual exam.

The only part that I didn't like was the delay in getting my exam graded but I understand that's a process and done solely by volunteers.

Agreed. It isn't the written test, it is the sensory test that is a pia to complete.

I'm a Noob and would relish the opportunity to learn more about judging from experienced judges. I'm not new to brewing, I've been doing it actively for 23 years and I judge our club competition monthly. The opportunity to see how a large event is handled would be great. I still may have another three months to wait for the results from my tasting exam and I have learned patience is a requirement in this hobby. Don't forget, the folks running this are volunteers.

The best quote I've heard about why the BJCP process is so unwieldy is "It's beer geeks deciding which other beer geeks get let into their club."

I can see my score sheets now:

Aroma - Smells like beer
Appearance - Looks like beer
Flavor - Tastes like beer
Mouthfeel - My mouth feels wet & squishy
Overall Impression - I got free beer! I'm impressed.

You wish you got this much feedback. This year even the qualifying round is using the checklist score sheets. I entered four beers. The only one that had any feedback was the one that won 1st place. I got a 27 for my pale ale, with no feedback at all. Nothing on the sheet was circled (indicating problems), no off flavors noted, all the right boxes checked, but still a 27. WTF! It does not seem like even BJCP judges know how to use these score sheets correctly.

Not that I need an essay on each beer, but a couple of words showing why it was scored a 27 would be nice.

Latest posts

Back