Testing/Lowering Acidic Wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laughingboysbrew

Reaction score
I've been using some mid-range WineXpert kits with mixed results. For the most part my whites are excellent, but the dry reds are, IMHO, super acidic. They burn going down.

I haven't been measuring pH/TA since I assumed it was "good to go" from kit. However, I'm going to be measuring now going forward, since I want to soon venture in to some custom recipes. Wanted to check in on thoughts first.

1. When should I be measuring (must or fermented wine) and what should appropriate ranges be?

I'm going to use my Hanna pH meter that I use for my mash testing. I've read to add phenolphthalein drop by drop until the pH reaches 8.2. However, what is this telling me about the original pH? :)

I've also read the pH of a dry red must should be somewhere in the 3.8 to 3.2 range.

2. Can I test a bottle of my finished wine now to see where it is against that (to see if it really has finished too acidic)?

3. Assuming what I am measuring (must or wine) is too acidic, I've read that adding calc carb or potassium bicarbonate in small amounts will help lower it. Fair?

Thanks!

A few questions:
Which kit did you make?
How long did you age the wine?
Did you follow the instructions 100%?
It sounds like it is a really young wine that needs to be aged longer.

I look forward to your reply.

You shouldn't ever have to mess with acidity for kit wines- changing the pH or the TA of them can be an issue with stability. And they should already be "done" for you.

If you have got an acidity issue with a kit wine, something else (like infection) is going on.

To determine Titrateable acid Using your Ph meter you draw out 15mls of wine and put it in a small glass container. Then place your meter electrodes in the wine. I don't know about Phenolpthalene, but if you take Sodium Hydroxide solution 0.2N (dilute lye solution), and add, for instance 6mls of the solution and get a reading of 8.2, you have .6 grams of acid in solution per liter of wine. Your LHBS should have the solution.Constantly mix the solution with the electrode as you add the solution drop by drop. Get a inexpensive syringe at the drugstore, without the needle.

Back