Termite fumigation... are kegs ok?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tstorm

Reaction score
Hey all -

My house is being fumigated for termites right now. I made the last-minute decision to leave my kegs in the kegerator rather than putting them in the shed to cook for 3 days. They're pressurized corny kegs and they don't have any lines hooked up.

Anyone know if they'll be safe to drink after the fumigation? I hope I didn't just ruin several kegs of homebrew.

Thanks!

Unless you are getting the inside of the kegerator sprayed, and even then, .........
Remember to always sanitize the posts when connecting if they are just stored.

They're using Vikane gas. So, no "spray" to speak of, but I expect it'll find its way into the kegerator. I guess I'm hoping some homebrewer out there is also a fumigator and knows for certain :)

I was told not to worry about it....it's a non residue gas and if the contents are properly sealed, no problem. If you have pressurized those kegs, then you definitely don't have to worry about them.

I'm not a fumigator, however I do own a termite business and regularly fumigate structures through a sub-contractor. As long as the cornies are pressurized, they will be alright. The gas boils at minus 67 and doesn't condense on any surface. The pressure inside the tent is only slightly above atmospheric pressure, so 10-15 psi inside the keg would keep the gas out, IF there were a leak. When I fumigated MY home, I left my cigars in but took out the Scotch. Wine with a wet cork is ok. Scotch has a dry cork. It had no effect on me except I developed this overwhelming urge to brew beer. (HA)
Pat

btw - Vikaine is the same gas used to fumigate large warehouses of tobacco. Figured I couldn't lose.

i don't know weather it is good to reply on an old thread but i must say thanks to you for posting this here

Back