Terminology observation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
When I started brewing I never understood why we 'pitch' yeast rather than just add yeast, but what the heck. Grain bill, cold crash, pitch yeast ... Brewers are weird people who use weird terms, but just go with it. Except I never could get past wanting to sing to my yeast. Every time I would add, excuse me, pitch, yeast I would channel the old blues masters and sing, We Gonna Pitch A Wang Dang Doodle All Night Long. I figured they were going to party all night long getting ready to do their thing. I am a better brewer now because I have hired Koko Taylor to sing to every new batch. I can't sing to save my life. Initial experiments show that my yeast prefer the old blues masters to my feeble attempts. Attenuation and flocculation are both up with Koko. And if she's booked I can always ask Howlin' Wolf to come over.

Absolutely. I'm a really bad singer so I've got into making sour and funky beers. I'd like to try using a Kveik, but they party so hard and fast I'm not sure if I need to learn to sing rap or opera?

Back