Tequila soaked oak Agavaceae sour

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grod1

Reaction score
so amongst the the many brews i have going and want to brew im going to tack this one on.
5 gallon batch

3.2# wheat DME
6# extra light maris otter
5 quarts aloe juice either plane or lime flavored(1 oz sugar each quart)
agave syrup (ferments the same as honey)
at some point i will add tequila soaked oak chips
Anyone have any thoughts?Anyone do something similar? please share input.

Hey guys so i have mulled this idea over a few times in my head and i think im going to do it this weekend.
Does anyone have any thoughts or opinions? Think i should aim for a few gallons of aloe juice? or just a few quarts?
when should i add the tequila soaked oak? Im thinking about a small amount of some smoked malt in there but i have never had a sour with smoked malts.

Got side tracked for a while but this one is next in lineAny one out there that thinks this is interesting and would like to lend some input.Or just way to cool for all you

i dunno why i cant edit my original post so this is what the recipe has turned into
9 gallon batch
6 lb Pale 2-Row 56.1%
3.2 lb DME - Wheat 29.9%
16 oz agave syrup 9.3% - (honey in the calc)
3 oz Smoked Malt 1.8%
9 quarts aloe juice in primary w/9 oz Cane Sugar 2.9%

would love to hear from anyone who is not boring as **** ...

anyone want to give an opinion on hop at the very least?

bump. just cause i find it funny no one has any thoughts about this.( I know,I know ,its not an IPA)but hey its only been up for 7 months.I'm sure someone with intellect will respond in due time.
After doing some reading i discovered pulque is fermented agave, distilled pulque is tequila or mescal.
Pulque is described as tart or having a sour yeast taste. i guess no one here knew that or felt like sharing.
Now that i know this it makes me even more eager to try this recipe out soon.

800px-Agave_Pulque.JPG

This sounds really, really good. Yesterday, I did a smell test of the leftover hops in my freezer with some casa noble tequila. They all went with it well enough. I found the American hops to pair better than the European. Citra hops was the best (I also had northern, magnum, saaz, & tettnager). I recommend a taste test. :D

Also if you use oak remember that all tequilla barrels start out as whiskey barrels.

Personally, I would avoid the lime since it is a sour (I have never made a sour so feel free to ignore me or correct me if need be.) You can always add fresh lime after.

i did not know that tequila barrels start out as whiskey barrels. thanks for that.

i did not know that tequila barrels start out as whiskey barrels. thanks for that.
NP. BTW please share your finished recipe if you like how it turns out. I am currently brewing mucho stouts for SWMBO, but would like to try this down the road.

this one will come up soon. but now i have a new kettle. I have space to boil about 22 gallons. going to re work a recipe now for probably a 14 gallon batch.I thiknk i will use golden promise and not 2 row.
Im am not sure what smoked malt would be best i have free access to Weyermann's beechwood-smoked malt but i don't think its the taste i want.

so there are a few commercial versions of fermented agave in cans out there one of the reviews for a popular one -Pulque Hacienda 1881
" It is viscous and the taste is like something between cider and sake."

You would think within 10 months i would find an interesting person with similar ideas that likes to talk about beer.
atlas there is no one here.
sorry its not an IPA guys, anyone with any sort of original thought is welcome to chime in here, maybe leave a comment, a suggestion.
does anyone recommend a tequila to soak my oak in ?

Last edited:
Back