Tepache!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well this summabitch chugged right along last night. Tested it this morning and it was already at 1.020. So off the bottles they went.

7.jpg

*Don't mind the test glass on the counter. It was for scientific purposes. Testing alcoholic beverages at 7:00am does not make you a drunk, it makes you a scientist!

Now to give it the 24-36 hours to carb up and test out. Out of the jug and over a few cubes it was amazing. This will definitely get scaled up to a 5 gallon batch with a quickness!

Final update on this batch. I put some into a plastic bottle with my carbonator cap, and carbed it up fully. Turns out I liked it better with just the little bit of fizz from the fermentation. So I pasteurized the bottles right then and there. And of course had to enjoy some of the fruits of my labors!

8.jpg

Also started a 3 gallon batch last night as well. I dumped about 4 oz of the unpasteurized bottle into this mixture, and as of this morning I was already seeing signs of activity. Must of been enough active yeast in that to start this batch up quickly!

Final update on this batch. I put some into a plastic bottle with my carbonator cap, and carbed it up fully. Turns out I liked it better with just the little bit of fizz from the fermentation. So I pasteurized the bottles right then and there. And of course had to enjoy some of the fruits of my labors!

8.jpg

Also started a 3 gallon batch last night as well. I dumped about 4 oz of the unpasteurized bottle into this mixture, and as of this morning I was already seeing signs of activity. Must of been enough active yeast in that to start this batch up quickly!

Success! In addition to having plain, over ice, I have been mixing mine 1/2 and 1/2 with a basic beer, like my Summer Ale and having what I call "Mateo's Shandy" and really enjoy it. I also mixed with a non-alcoholic ginger beer that I made and that was really good. Ginger Ale would probably be good, too. Thanks for sharing your progress!

Success! In addition to having plain, over ice, I have been mixing mine 1/2 and 1/2 with a basic beer, like my Summer Ale and having what I call "Mateo's Shandy" and really enjoy it. I also mixed with a non-alcoholic ginger beer that I made and that was really good. Ginger Ale would probably be good, too. Thanks for sharing your progress!

I have seen that, and I full intend on trying it. Right now I have hefe brewing that I think would work phenomenal with it! Thankfully the 3 gallons should be all bottled up and ready to go right as the hefe is finishing up.

I'm using cheese cloth under a lid, I see a small amount of white "mold" on top. A few fine bubbles. It is day 5 or 6. Going to taste. What flavors (other than too much funk) should I be looking for? I just broke my plastic hydro sampler
tube so cannot take a reading without being creative.

I'm using cheese cloth under a lid, I see a small amount of white "mold" on top. A few fine bubbles. It is day 5 or 6. Going to taste. What flavors (other than too much funk) should I be looking for? I just broke my plastic hydro sampler
tube so cannot take a reading without being creative.

It will start off as funky and very sweet. There's just something about pineapple, when it first starts fermenting, that is just weird. I think it's worse when you use the fruit and not just the skins/core. Anyway, the more it ferments, you will notice it taking on a more "tangy" flavor, but still pretty sweet. Without hydrometer samples, you'll just have to go with what flavor appeals to you.

It will start off as funky and very sweet. There's just something about pineapple, when it first starts fermenting, that is just weird. I think it's worse when you use the fruit and not just the skins/core. Anyway, the more it ferments, you will notice it taking on a more "tangy" flavor, but still pretty sweet. Without hydrometer samples, you'll just have to go with what flavor appeals to you.

It has a strange funky pineapple/bandaid smell. Tastes better than it smells. I'll give it a couple days. Right now its not pleasant.

It has a strange funky pineapple/bandaid smell. Tastes better than it smells. I'll give it a couple days. Right now its not pleasant.

Did you use just skins and core, but not the fruit? And either way, I have found that fermenting pineapple smells and often tastes bad at the start and eventually turns around. I made a pineapple mead that I started last December and thought I was going to throw it out...a couple of times. By the time I bottled it in February, it was MUCH better. It's still bottle conditioning and I expect it to be pretty amazing...maybe this Winter.

I think my tepaches generally took two days to start fermenting and another 5-7 days before I strained the fruit out, then another 3 to 5 days to get where I wanted them. Patience has not traditionally been easy for me, but I'm learning...slowly!

Now it smells like the love child of a pineapple and a set of white-walled Goodyears. It tastes like a rum and coke because that's what
I'm drinking and I don't have the stomach to taste this. Going to rack off the fruit.

Seems like there out to be an "Other Fermented Berverages" and/or "Hooch" category;)

New to homebrewing and this site.

I tried out Saveur's recipe: http://www.saveur.com/article/Wine-and-Drink/Mexican-Style-Fermented-Pineapple-Drink

Scrubbed pineapple with stiff vegetable brush, a little dish soap and plenty of water.

Put everything in a 5 gallon crock, with a sheet of saran wrap, a piece of cardboard and a weight to keep it on.

Placed crock on back porch to get the morning Florida sun.

On day 3 the chunks that floated above the water had white mold and everything else had a dusting of red mold. It smelled great so it killed me to dump it out.

I'm open to suggestions on how not to make a biohazard again.

Don't scrub the pineapple...rinse it, but it's the stuff on the skin that you want to start fermenting. Don't use the fruit...just skins and core. Read through this thread when you have time. I use a fermentation bucket with an airlock. White mold seems to be common and okay. Red...maybe not?

I read in several places that white mold is okay, but if it is red or black throw it out.
Maybe the saran made it too air tight as well?
I did read someplace where they suggested taking a plate or something to weight the pineapple down since it tends to float above the liquid and mold.

I read in several places that white mold is okay, but if it is red or black throw it out.
Maybe the saran made it too air tight as well?
I did read someplace where they suggested taking a plate or something to weight the pineapple down since it tends to float above the liquid and mold.

I've heard it suggested to add a plate to weight the skins down under the surface...seems reasonable. It's common in fermenting stuff like sauerkraut and in winemaking. I don't think Saran Wrap is a problem...like I said, mine is in a sealed bucket with an airlock.

Started a Tepache 3 days ago, was not aware of this thread. Used the whole fruit; since I haven't got myself a hydrometer yet will let fruit in for 4 days, strain and let it fermenting for 1 more week.

Now comes my fear, is there any problem with using the whole fruit?

Started a Tepache 3 days ago, was not aware of this thread. Used the whole fruit; since I haven't got myself a hydrometer yet will let fruit in for 4 days, strain and let it fermenting for 1 more week.

It could be that the fruit creates more off flavors...could just be that it's wasteful and not necessary. I'm leaning more towards the first, but I honestly don't have a firm answer. Anyone else?

Well what's done is done. I'm going to assume you will have an astounding succcess.

Begin to assess the sweetness / tartness as soon as you see signs of fermentation. Don't let it go too long.

Thank you guys for the info.

Since its something really cheap to brew will start another batch this weekend using only skin/core (1.2 pounds piloncello 2.50U$+ large pineapple 2U$+ spices 1U$. It's the cheapest brew I ever seen )

johoson, the first recipe I saw for this was in Saveur magazine. They called for the whole fruit.
The say:
This recipe for tepache is an adaptation of one in The Essential Cuisines of Mexico by Diana Kennedy (Clarkson otter⁄Publishers, 2000).

I'd say the whole fruit frequently isn't used because it is cheaper.

Rubber smell is usually associated with stressed yeast due to lack of nutrients.

I have been tossing some yeast nutrient in my bucket since I have it. I have also been reserving a bit of the active Tepache when I bottle to dump into the next batch to act as sort of a starter. I have done this the last two batches, and I have been getting activity within a few hours of pitching and much better tasting/smelling results.

So, after straining I left to ferment for more 2-3 days. But I completely forgot it on my garage, just found it today.

Fermented very dry, there's almost no sweetness from the piloncello anymore :eek:. Can I back sweeten it with more piloncello diluted in very little water?

So, after straining I left to ferment for more 2-3 days. But I completely forgot it on my garage, just found it today.

Fermented very dry, there's almost no sweetness from the piloncello anymore :eek:. Can I back sweeten it with more piloncello diluted in very little water?

Yes, but now that the bacterial population is built it will ferment quickly. I'm not a wine maker, but now is probably the time to pitch some kmeta (potassium metabisulphite) and/or other inhibiting agents. I don't think you need to do that, but if you don't of course you'll need to get it in the fridge first.

Is it rocket fuel?

Yes, but now that the bacterial population is built it will ferment quickly. I'm not a wine maker, but now is probably the time to pitch some kmeta (potassium metabisulphite) and/or other inhibiting agents. I don't think you need to do that, but if you don't of course you'll need to get it in the fridge first.

Is it rocket fuel?

The taste wasn't so bad, had a little bready yeast flavor. With a strong pineapple at the end, but almost no sweetness to be found. A little hot, but not like a baby mead :D

Siphoned it to another Jug. Was going to bottle and pasteurize today (was out of bottles), but when I took out the gallon this morning... a lot of white pellicles all over the liquid =\

Going to just toss it a corner and let it ferment or see what the hell is going to happen (time for some !!science!! )

Going to brew a new one and be more cautious this time.

Just figured I would revive this post for 2015...I plan to brew a batch of this very soon. I plan to add 1 can of light beer after fermentation begins and to let it run for a few more days before bottling. Also will omit the cloves and go light on the cinnamon. Hoping to maybe blend with some other beverages i have lying around to make a very tasty summer drink for the ladies! I love trying my hands at new fermented beverages. :ban:

@CorporateHippie - Are you fermenting indoors or out? I would think cold weather might put the breaks on things.

Btw, the recipe I used called for Mexican Cinnamon (Canela) which is milder than regular cinnamon. You might want to try that.

@CorporateHippie - Are you fermenting indoors or out? I would think cold weather might put the breaks on things.

Btw, the recipe I used called for Mexican Cinnamon (Canela) which is milder than regular cinnamon. You might want to try that.
Outdoors??? This here is wisconsin boy.....ain't nothing happening outdoors. :D

Hi there, new to brewing and tepache making. Saw mattmille's blog about his process of making it and wanted to copy it, but I'm not exactly sure how the priming works. Earlier in this thread I saw people say they were using honey but that was it for priming concoctions. Suggestions?

Hi there, new to brewing and tepache making. Saw mattmille's blog about his process of making it and wanted to copy it, but I'm not exactly sure how the priming works. Earlier in this thread I saw people say they were using honey but that was it for priming concoctions. Suggestions?

Hi! If by "priming", you are referring to priming for carbonation in bottling, there is plenty of risidual sugar in the tepache for carbing. The problem is that you will need to pasteurize when carbed to the right level. You might be able to cold crash and then keep refrigerated, but I haven't tried that, myself. If you ferment this stuff all the way out, it will probably be nasty. I just looked back at bottling notes from one batch and I bottled at around 1.035 SG. Watch the carbonation...could be as quick as 24 to 36 hours. Use a tester bottle or two!

i hope this was helpful...let me know if I didn't address what you were looking for!

hi guys I saw this Tepache thread and I wanted to pitch in, being that I'm from México I mhight get some insiders info ;)
Tepache is an aztec drink and origanally was made from maize, in some parts of México there still is, but the "modern way" that is to say from last couple of centuries is made with several fruit most commonly pineapple.

I remember my dad making tepache in a pot and putting it on top of the fridge to let it ferment when I was a kid. I also remember a chemestry class were we made tepache as an experiment to learn about fermentation process and stuff, BUT the original tepache is not meant to be an alcoholic drink the alcohol contet is very low.

enough of the fun facts.

Now before we get our hands dirty...wash the pineapple, I've seen some posts saying the contrary, but you do need to wash it, although I wouldn't use dish soap, I would rather use pbw and or starsan not to affect the flavor. You don't need to add beer, some people add it becaus eof the belief that the yeast will help with the fermentation, but since they use tecate or coronas theres no trace of any yeast in them so theres no reason to add beer, but you can experiment and add whatever strain you want.

To make tepache we do use all the pineapple including the shell, basicaly you put 1 pineapple in aprox 5lt of water add some sugar and let it ferment on its own in an open container or pot, you ferment it around at room temperature anything from 80-90F for 3-4 days, put it on the fridge and drink it cold. that's the big picture.

the recepie it's nothing new, you probably have seen a lot just like it, but here it goes.

1 pineapple, whole
5 lt of water... 1.32 gal
1 kg of piloncillo..... this is very flexible it depends on the ABV you want to end up with

the process: cut up the pineapple, dissolve the piloncillo in water, most likley you'll need to heat the water because piloncillo is a tough sob to deal with. while you disolve the piloncillo cut the pineapple and put it in the water (as it heats) when the piloncillo is disolved (you'll need to do some stirring) add the shells of the pineapple, put in any kind of fermenter you want and leave it open for 4 days.

now that's the traditional way, but I'm sure that for a lot of you that won't be enough.

so here's another one

6 lt water
1 -2 cinammon stick (depends on your love for cinammon)
1/2 kg......1.10 pound of 2 row
1kg piloncillo.....2.20 pounds
6 Cloves
1 big pineapple whole
100gr of corn sugar

dissolve the piloncillo in 5lt of water, chop the pineapple, or puree it, toss it in the water add the cinamon and clove, put it in a fermenter, and let it sit at room temp. for 3 days.

now the fun part: steep the malt in 1 lt of water as you would do with your wort (orignally this was done with whole malt and you boil it until the grain hulls pops open, feel free to try that) and add the corn sugar, when it's done you add the piloncillo and let it cool at room temp, when its cool enough add it to your fermenter and let it be for another 3 days below 95F or you'll risk getting mold and furry stuff in your tepache.

if you want to close your fermenter I would suggest yeast and an airlock.... btw this is not supposed to be a carbonated drink, but hell why not add some yeast and extra sugar and see what happens.

hope it helps, have fun experimentig with it and good luck.

I started another tepache a couple of days ago. Skins and core from a pineapple, 2 pkgs piloncillo cones (about 17-18 oz), 5 whole cloves (these were kind of small), a cinnamon stick, and 8 cups of water in a 2 gallon fermentation bucket with an airlock. Tonight, I strained the liquid into a beverage server that I bought a couple of monthe ago. I added about a gallon of water and covered the top with a paper towel, secured with a string, and covered with a lid. If history serves an accurate guide, to my tastes, this batch should be ready around Sunday-ish. If it gets the white surface covering, I'll strain it again and refrigerate. I'm betting that a mixture of tepache and kombucha over ice would be refreshing...if it doesn't combust on contact :D (In fact, a little test of the just strained tepache hints that I may be onto something!)

IMG_20150526_223044289.jpg

IMG_20150526_230413178.jpg

Hello From Mexico

in the last monday i make a "simple" tepache from a town recipe i use the next ingredents:

1 big pineapple here in mexico is calle Piña Miel, like "honey pineapple"
1 stick of cinnamond.
1 and half piloncillo is not brown sugar is Raw Cane Sugar but i think is almost de same flavor as brown sugar but more stronger.
8 cloves.

i just peel the pineapple and put the skin in one gallon the carboy then i put the rest on the blender machine to make a pulp of pineapple then put it in the carboy with the cinamond and the 8 cloves.

in the four day of fermentation y mix the must with the piloncillo or brown sugar then in the six or seven day i bottled the tepache and put it in the refrigerator.

it taste amazing with a lot of ice, but i want to make this tepache like a sparkling wine what can i do to make a hard carbonation tepache?? add more sugar?

have someone tried to use yeast in the tepache??

thanks for your time.

Hello From Mexico

in the last monday i make a "simple" tepache from a town recipe i use the next ingredents:

1 big pineapple here in mexico is calle Piña Miel, like "honey pineapple"
1 stick of cinnamond.
1 and half piloncillo is not brown sugar is Raw Cane Sugar but i think is almost de same flavor as brown sugar but more stronger.
8 cloves.

i just peel the pineapple and put the skin in one gallon the carboy then i put the rest on the blender machine to make a pulp of pineapple then put it in the carboy with the cinamond and the 8 cloves.

in the four day of fermentation y mix the must with the piloncillo or brown sugar then in the six or seven day i bottled the tepache and put it in the refrigerator.

it taste amazing with a lot of ice, but i want to make this tepache like a sparkling wine what can i do to make a hard carbonation tepache?? add more sugar?

have someone tried to use yeast in the tepache??

thanks for your time.

Sounds good (although, I still think using the fruit in the tepache is a waste!). I have carbonated tepache by bottling it like beer and using on of the bottles as a test for carbonation. You will have enough sugar...do not add more. Mine is usually carbonated at about 36 hours after bottling. You will then need to chill it and keep it cold or you will need to pasteurize it...that can be a little tricky! There's a whole thread on stove top pasteurizing you should read through and follow the most up to date recommendations. Cheers!

Sounds good (although, I still think using the fruit in the tepache is a waste!). I have carbonated tepache by bottling it like beer and using on of the bottles as a test for carbonation. You will have enough sugar...do not add more. Mine is usually carbonated at about 36 hours after bottling. You will then need to chill it and keep it cold or you will need to pasteurize it...that can be a little tricky! There's a whole thread on stove top pasteurizing you should read through and follow the most up to date recommendations. Cheers!

:rockin:

the next week i will try the tepache recipe without the fruit just skin.

i will put some pictures off my jug in some hour more, also the airlock is useless??

some people say they only put a paper or some cloth to avoid the insects.

:rockin:

the next week i will try the tepache recipe without the fruit just skin.

i will put some pictures off my jug in some hour more, also the airlock is useless??

some people say they only put a paper or some cloth to avoid the insects.

Most of the recipes I have seen have not called for an airlock...I'm just a little scared of not using one, after having been told how crucial it is to beer, wine and cider. I have been making kombucha for a few months now and the main concern is to keep bugs out. Fruit flies and gnats can be very small. I have even read that cheesecloth is not fine enough...that I should use a clean kitchen towel, a paper towel, or a coffee filter. As you can see, in my most recent batch, I am not using the airlock. Living on the edge!

The reason to be so careful with beer, etc., is to avoid infection by anything other than the desired yeast that you add. With tepache, you are using the wild yeast and bacteria that is resident on the pineapple skin. If you didn't use campden or other product to kill off the resident critters, adding yeast would probably be a mess. If you did kill of the resident critters, then pitching yeast would give you a pineapple cider or wine, depending on what yeast you choose...and it would generally be higher alcohol and take longer to ferment...or it would be VERY yeasty!

What's the average fermentation time for this, and can I edit the original post so the info is there?

I'm starting mine tonight.

Latest posts

Back