Ten gallon igloo false bottom question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bombeque

Reaction score
Hey all, for anyone out there with the ten gallon igloo with the false bottom...(bought mine from "Adventures in Hombrewing"), I noticed that the fittings come undone quite easily and will cause a stuck sparge if hit too hard during mixing. It should be an easy fix by putting a nut on the other side of the fitting, but I cant find a nut that will fit. Tried Lowes with no luck. Has anyone fixed this issue?

What size is the nut? I'm surprised you couldn't find anything at Lowe's.. Maybe try Fastenal or something? Ace Hardware?

I have the exact same igloo cooler w/ false bottom from AHB. I bought it in march and have done 3 batches thus far. I have found no need to have a nut underneath. The trick to avoid having a stuck sparge is to have the nut towards the top of the 90 degree elbow (not tight against the false bottom). If the nut it too tight, it will pop out easy, and will not have a good seal. The weight of the water and grains will keep the fitting under the false bottom.

I'm careful while stirring my mash, but not super careful. As long as you arn't reckless while mashing, you'll be fine.

I also have the setup from adventures. When stirring I just go back and forth in an arc trying to avoid hitting that fitting. As far as the nut goes, it's just there to hold against the false bottom. It doesn't need to be tight. Really works quite well.

The trick to avoid having a stuck sparge is to have the nut towards the top of the 90 degree elbow (not tight against the false bottom). If the nut it too tight, it will pop out easy, and will not have a good seal. The weight of the water and grains will keep the fitting under the false bottom.

Good call. I wasnt sure exactly where to position the nut on the fitting. So to be clear, I should have the nut screwed almost all the way on the fitting? That way when the grist is on the fitting it actually dips a bit under the false bottom?

Back