Temporary taps for a party

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gorphus

Reaction score
I'm hosting a party and I'm planning on having 3 or 4 kegs (1/2 barrels). I'm wondering if it would be manageable to install taps. I think I could do it with one CO2 tank, some tubing, and 3 taps. I would basically screw the taps into a plywood sheet. The kegs are going to be refrigerated already in an ice bath. Anyone want to give me some estimates on cost? I'm looking at kegworks right now to check it out. Probably not worth it, but it seems like a fun idea. Not going to host that many large parties, so this would likely be a one off anyway.

If it was truly temporary, I wouldn't spend the money, I'd just use picnic taps. Otherwise, I'd upgrade my existing setup. Alternatively, if you like to be mobile, build a jockey box.

I gotta agree that if it is temporary, why spend the scratch. A lot of keg-heavy beer shops rent jockey boxes. That would be the easiest and most pleasing in terms of setup and looks.

A word of caution about picnic taps... some people are stupid.

A couple years ago, I went to an event where they were gonna have a couple kegs. I took my CO2, regs, couplers, etc. Figured everybody would appreciate not having to pump all night.

Started to hear complaints about foamy beer. Noticed people were only partially squeezing the picnic taps.

I spread the word and posted a sign to squeeze the tap wide open. didn't work.

After a while, I noticed my couplers disconnected and replaced with hand pumps...

Xtant said:
A word of caution about picnic taps... some people are stupid.

A couple years ago, I went to an event where they were gonna have a couple kegs. I took my CO2, regs, couplers, etc. Figured everybody would appreciate not having to pump all night.

Started to hear complaints about foamy beer. Noticed people were only partially squeezing the picnic taps.

I spread the word and posted a sign to squeeze the tap wide open. didn't work.

After a while, I noticed my couplers disconnected and replaced with hand pumps...

+1 I still use picnic taps, but I have everything else out of sight in the cooler. I've even gone as far as duck taping the lid close. Some people are idiots or know it alls or just drunk, and they usually want to "help" by cranking up the CO2 or pulling the vent till its empty.

I had never heard of a jockey box. Good suggestion. I found a place where I can rent a couple jockey boxes that isn't too far away.

I'm still toying with the idea of mounting the taps to a wall, but I think it would just be more expensive than it is worth. I could try unscrewing the faucet at the outlet of the jockey box and inserting some tubing (with insulation) to a wall mount. Probably wouldn't want me messing around with their equipment, though.

Back