Temporary cold crash ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

puttster

Reaction score
I just bottled a BIAB pale ale and would like to better ensure its clarity. I have limited space in the refrigerator, can I start putting say, three bottles at a time in there and then put them back in the 65-75 deg garage? Would that do much to clarify the beer when I finally got around to drinking it? Would there be any other effects?

The purpose of the cold crash is to leave the flocculated yeast and trub in a container prior to transfer to a keg or bottle.

Your beers will drop clear in the bottle.

Agreed with Dcpcooks. Cold crashing should take place prior to bottling or kegging. Once the bottle is sealed, it won't matter (provided you're not shaking it before pouring, rousing all that has dropped out already).

Looks like I used the term "cold crashing" incorrectly. I'm still wondering though if refrigerating the bottles will or won't clarify the beer. And if it will, if I then "unrefrigerate" it, will it just cloud back up?

The yeast will settle in the bottle regardless of temp. If you pour carefully it will remain in the bottom. If you shake it up or pour aggressively it will stir back up into the beer.

Back