Temperature too cold

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baltaperales

Reaction score
The temp was a little warm on my Oktoberfest Style Ale so I lowered the temp on my ferm fridge. Long story short I forgot to check the temp before I went to work. When I returned it was 42 deg. It has been on the primary for 10 days now. Is the batch ruined? Please advise.

Need more info. If you were at FG and didn't notice any diacetyl, you are taking the perfect step to start lagering. I you weren't at FG, you may have put the yeast to sleep, but it may be time for a d-rest anyway.

What was the OG, target FG, and gravity at the time you changed the temp? What is the yeast and what is its ideal temp range?

Help us help you :)

No ruined either way. Take a hydrometer reading, and if you are at SG, you are done, if you are not at SG, you just need to warm back up to fermentation temps, and give the beer a slight swirl and the ale yeast will become active again and finish the fermentation.

TopherM said:
No ruined either way. Take a hydrometer reading, and if you are at SG, you are done, if you are not at SG, you just need to warm back up to fermentation temps, and give the beer a slight swirl and the ale yeast will become active again and finish the fermentation.

Thanks, I'll check it when I get home from work tonight. The OG was at 160 and I used Wyeast #1338 European Ale. For those who asked earlier.

The OG was @ 160 the SG is @ 118. The FG should be around 114. I brought the temp back up to 67 deg over the past 24 hours. I gave the bucket a gentle swirl and now I'm noticing activity in the chamber again. I did noticed a slight diacetyl taste so I will wait a few more days before rechecking and beginning the diacetyl rest. Followed by cold crashing. The beer was very clear in appearance. Thank you all for the advice.

baltaperales said:
The OG was @ 160 the SG is @ 118. The FG should be around 114. I brought the temp back up to 67 deg over the past 24 hours. I gave the bucket a gentle swirl and now I'm noticing activity in the chamber again. I did noticed a slight diacetyl taste so I will wait a few more days before rechecking and beginning the diacetyl rest. Followed by cold crashing. The beer was very clear in appearance. Thank you all for the advice.

If you are at 67, you ARE doing a d-rest.

And the airlock activity is likely just caused by the temp change. No worries though. Leave it for 72 hours at 67, then cool down to your lagering temps. I think everything is in good shape right now.

The FG is 1.012, right were it needs to be. There is no diacetyl taste and it seems to be very clear as is. Now it is time to cold crash. Thank you all for the advice. Cheers.

Back