Temperature safe sealant for temp probe in all-in-one kettle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hbarsquared

Reaction score
The temperature probe on my Brewster Beacon 30L recently came loose and caused a leak - thankfully I noticed before I began heating the water! It seems like a simple repair, but I feel like there should be some kind of sealant to both keep further leaks from happening and also to provide a little more resiliance to further loosening.

My first thought was keg lube or teflon tape, but I don't have any kind of experience with boil-temp seals. What would you use in this situation?

(The manufacturer suggested locktite but I'd like something less permanent)

I would just use a little low strength loctite (purple or blue) which will still loosen with little effort if needed. Keg lube wouldn't hurt but as long as the mating surface for the probe is in good shape then it shouldn't be needed.

PTFE ("Teflon") thread sealing tape would be fine. The material has a usable temperature range that is well beyond the boiling point, up to 287C/550F. In the US where I am you would buy tape with an FDA 21 compliance which indicates it is acceptable for food contact.

Back