Temperature Range for Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eucrid

Reaction score
Ok so as a beginner I don't have much real fermentation temperature control yet. I've done 2 brews so far, first one fermented pretty well in my office so I tried that again but with the spring weather it was jumping from 62 to 70 between day and night. This gave me some really estery flavours (the yeast was from a kit so I've no idea what it was. Kit was Festival Razorback IPA).

Now I'm trying to measure the ambient temps around my house and I think the most consistent spot is under my stairs. It moves from around 62 to 65 depending on how sunny it is outside. I have some sachets of US-05 and S-04 ready for my next brews. Will these temperatures work will with those yeasts? I'll most likely be making American Pale Ales for now.

Under the stairs sounds good. Increase the thermal mass of the system by using a swamp cooler. Put some water in a big tub and put your bucket/carboy in it. It will hold temps pretty well. Monitor the temp via stick-on thermometer and swap out frozen bottles of water the first few days to help maintain cool temps.

Agreed, use a swamp cooler, look up the recommended temperature range and aim for the lower half. I used one for almost 2 years until I built my fermentation chamber.

Fermentation temp will be higher than ambient air temp. My first two brews i did without a fermentation chamber and ambient temp was 62-68 and my fermentation temps were in the 70s which was not good. you might be OK with those ambient temps though.

Invest in a fermentation chamber. you can look on craigslist for a cheap mini fridge of chest freezer. IMO its one of the most important parts of the brewing process. i would stop brewing if i didn't have one.

I intend on getting a chamber soon but I've just invested in a lot of other stuff to go AG so I wont be able to get it for another few months.

Those yeast strains will perform ok at the mid-60's temps. That is the temp I set my fermentation freezer at when I'm working with them. +1 to increasing the thermal mass with the tub of water. Don't try anything using Nottingham or other yeasts that prefer cooler temperatures. Try BRY-97 for your American Ales as it consistently does well at the temps you can provide.

Cheers and best of luck!

Pic copied from another thread. Costs next to nothing and will get you far down the road as far as fermentation temp control.

swampcooler.jpg

I'll definitely try the swamp cooler.

Thanks for the advice on Notty, was going to buy some soon. Wont until I get my chamber sorted.

I have 2 of these that I use year around to keep my temps cooler in the summer and stable in the winter.
There's a thread on this forum where you can read all the props by owners of these.
But, I agree, there are cheaper ways if money is a problem. However, this has saved me from pitching beers out. I know it works as I've used them for over a year and brewed many, many times last summer. I'm in the south, keep my A/C on 78 while the outside temps are in the 90's until the end of September. I can keep my temps as low as 62 switching out 2 frozen bottles twice a day.

Back