Temperature question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pschad

Reaction score
Is there a down side to using a frozen two liter bottle (or two) to bring to pitching temperature after boil? Need something and don't really want to plunk down $50-100 on a wort chiller if I don't have to and new kettle won't fit in the sink.

I got one of those cube ice chests, I put 5lb of a 10lb bag of ice on the bottom about 30 minutes before my boil is done (to pre-chill the cooler)

Then I put my kettle in the cooler, put the lid on the kettle, dump the rest of the ice plus another 10lb bag around the kettle, add some cold water...(I also put a gallon of the water I'm using in the freezer to add to the wort to start the chill) that really helps bring the temp down. I also dry the lid of the kettle off really well and remove it and stir the wort to accelerate the cooling.

Hope that helps.

Should not be an issue unless you did not sanitize. Make sure you take the label off and scrub the glue off

You will want to change bottles from time to time a when you clean them, you will scratch them, and scratches can harbor bacteria.

But I recommend making your own chiller. Depending on how fancy you want to get with the fittings you can prob do the whole thing for less than 50
I used a growler to wrap my 3/8ths copper around and it's a great size. Chills 5 gals in about 15 mins or less. Depending on the season... My tap gets really cold in the winter

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Glue was a concern but didn't know if plastic in that hot a liquid would cause a problem. Looked at making my own and may still do that, just thought I'd look into other options.
Thanks

Glue was a concern but didn't know if plastic in that hot a liquid would cause a problem. Looked at making my own and may still do that, just thought I'd look into other options.
Thanks

I would be afraid that plastic would melt or leach chemicals out of the plastic when it is put into boiling wort. I'm not sure what the temperature range for those plastic bottles is before that would happen- but those bottles are designed for room temperature or cold liquids. I wouldn't chance it.

I have used that technique to further cool my wort after I get the temperature down some. I would not through a plastic bottle directly into 210-212 degree liquid.

Here in AZ its hard to get ground water below 90 in the summer so an immersion or counter flow chiller will not do the job without some help. people either build a second pre chiller to cool down their cooling water or do what I do. I freeze a few 1 or 2 liter bottles, soak them in sanitzer, then when I reach a terminal temperature from my chiller, I pull out the chiller, through the bottles in and start stirring like a mad man.

I usually will change my bottles every 2 or 3 brews. I try to get bottles that had paper labels on them like arrowhead spring drinking water because the glue comes off much easier.

Yooper,
Good point, however, the sublimation properties of matter combined with how thin the plastic is should mean that the ice inside the plastic should keep it sufficiently cool so as to not overheat and leach, at least until the ice melts. I would worry about the collar and the threads, not to mention the cap. I don't think they should be submerged

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back