Temperature Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bordy

Reaction score
Hello, I currently use a temperature controlled chest freezer but it only really holds one of my carboys. I want to get on the about one batch (5gal) per week cycle, but my limited space makes this hard. My question is can I secondary in warmer conditions (about 80 degrees) or is it best to finish the fermentation in the temp controlled freezer?

Yes you can secondary in warmer conditions. Temp control is most important for the main fermentation. Might be best if you have a slightly cooler place for your secondary though.

Are you planning on just one week in the primary? Sometimes that's not enough time to give the yeast a chance to finish fermenting and clean up their messes.

In your pursuit of quantity, you might end up sacrificing some quality.

I understand some beers take longer to ferment than others, I basically wanted to know about secondary fermentation in higher temps.

Do you really mean a secondary or do you mean moving the primary out of the chest freezer after 7 days? The answer might be different and I would be interested in the differences. My thoughts are that it would be better to leave it in the primary so that you have the maximum amount of yeast to finish doing what they do.

Someone, somewhere on here showed his fermenter in a tiny chest freezer. 5 CF maybe. It was a square water container and I think he said it was 13 gallons. That would get the pipeline filled pretty darn quick. Naturally, I can't find the post again.

Ryush806 said:
Yes you can secondary in warmer conditions. Temp control is most important for the main fermentation. Might be best if you have a slightly cooler place for your secondary though.

I agree completely. There is a lot of internal heat created those first few days of fermentation, which is the big deal to control. It can be 10 degrees warmer internally then the room temp/chest freezer is. After only 7 days I would never move it from your primary fermenter to a secondary vessel. The beer needs more time. You can move it out of the chest freezer after a week and leave it in your primary and be alright, but I would try and find a cooler spot if all possible or build a swamp cooler. If you are transferring beer to a secondary vessel after only 7 days I would def buy a second bucket. They are cheap and will be well worth it in your end product.

I realize that there is a difference of a week here, but i pretty routinely leave my primary in the fermentation chamber temp controlled for two weeks, and then move carboy outside for a week or two. I brew about every two weeks but only have room for one carboy with temp control. I might take it in a brew to brew basis.

Like if your gravity is close to your projected FG then i would pull it out to room temp. As long as i had good temps and gravity is down, most of the work is done and they can finish at room temp. Im in florida and room temp is 76-80 this time of year.

TL:DR

If gravity is close to FG when you need temp chamber, pull it out to room temp and you should be fine.

Thanks for all the advice. I plan on getting a slightly bigger chest freezer in the future, but for now only being able to do one brew every two weeks or so is kind of lame. I am really just looking for a way to do more brewing without sacrificing quality.

Back