Temperature probe location for direct-fired mash tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FermentedTed

Reaction score
Hello!

I'm in the process of building a three keggle system and the mash tun will be direct-fired with recirculation. Any advice on where the best place to locate the temperature probe is? Initially, I plan to manually fire the burner when needed, however I could see myself eventually looking to incorporate automation through a TOP or some other method.

I suggest a couple of thermometers... one mounted permanently on the side of the keggle with the probe about centered into the mash bulk, one at the output (return)side of the pump (as close the the keggle as possible), and a handheld for random sampling.
BTW, you are doing exactly what I did starting out.
I've made so many upgrades and work arounds I call it my Rube Goldberg MT.

I suggest a couple of thermometers... one mounted permanently on the side of the keggle with the probe about centered into the mash bulk, one at the output (return)side of the pump (as close the the keggle as possible), and a handheld for random sampling.
BTW, you are doing exactly what I did starting out.
I've made so many upgrades and work arounds I call it my Rube Goldberg MT.

This is my plan as soon as I'm able to purchase my pump.

Back