Temperature-Insensitive Brews or Brewing for the Season

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thunder_Chicken

Reaction score
I'm still seeing falling snow out of the window and, as it is it still heating season, it is relatively easy to keep moderate indoor temperatures in the mid-60F range which seems to suit most yeasts. However, as it is now officially spring, I expect that we'll eventually get a blast of warm weather before I decide to put the AC in. The house might warm up to mid to high 70s during the day.

I'm trying to put together a rough "schedule" of beers that might be less susceptible to temperature fluctuations and still produce a nice product. Off the top of my head I am thinking of a partial mash hefeweizen, which might ferment to style if it gets a little on the warm side.

Any other suggestions for brews that are relatively heat insensitive? Cold, lighter, less malty brews for the summer heat would be welcome.

Not heat insensitive, but saisons like it warm. Bottle harvested Bell's yeast does neat stuff at higher temps, and I hear 1272 does too.

Not heat insensitive, but saisons like it warm. Bottle harvested Bell's yeast does neat stuff at higher temps, and I hear 1272 does too.

Can you elaborate on the bell's comment? I have a bunch of harvested bell's yeast that I'd like to use.

Saisons??

Saisons?!? I know this means "seasonal" and understand its origins, but will this brew well in the heat or is it something that needs to get primaried before the river breaks up? My read on saisons is that they were brewed in the cold season to be ready for the laborers in the summer, so if I were to do one of these I need to do it ASAP before things warm up.

Saisons?!? I know this means "seasonal" and understand its origins, but will this brew well in the heat or is it something that needs to get primaried before the river breaks up? My read on saisons is that they were brewed in the cold season to be ready for the laborers in the summer, so if I were to do one of these I need to do it ASAP before things warm up.

Saison yeast likes high temperatures. Most people start them around the mid 70's and let them ramp up to 80 or so. Like most Belgian strains you get different esters as the temp goes up.

temple240 said:
Can you elaborate on the bell's comment? I have a bunch of harvested bell's yeast that I'd like to use.

Apparently 2 Hearted and Oberon are fermented in the mid- to upper 70s. That yeast throws off some cherry and pineapple-y esters up around those temps.

I think you are thinking of Biere-De Garde.

Saisons like high temps. I usually start them around 70 and ramp them up to 80.

If you want to try a twist on a Saison, brew your favorate IPA and use a Saison yeast! Stone Cali-Belgique is their IPA brewed with the Duvel yeast. I'm drinking one of my creations now ...... Dam fine beer!

I think my next will be a hefeweizen / wit as soon as my primary opens up, then I'll get a saison going in about late-May. That is when we generally start getting some warm weather.

How about later in the season when temperatures drop off? There is invariably the first blast of cool fall weather where it feels so much better than the heat that I open all the windows and doors even if it is in the upper 50s. I suppose I could brew anything but wonder if that sort of temperature change would stall the yeast.

I was thinking of attempting a lager but that would probably be a winter-to-deep-winter brew, given the lagering locations in the equipment room where the temperatures are appropriate.

I'm a bit further south than you so probably a month or more ahead of you weather-wise and just brewed a Hefeweizen.

I like to ferment my hefes in the low 60s, so it's almost getting too warm for that.

But I recommend building a really easy swamp cooler / heater combo. A large plastic tub, an aquarium heater, a fan, and the e-bay temperature controller (STC-1000) will run you a total of like $50, and will give you reasonable temperature control. It's not a ferm chamber, but it's a gigantic improvement over nothing. Put it in the coldest part of your house (basement as long as you have a dehumidifier) and you'll be amazed at what it can do. I can control from 55 up to 90 this time of year, and in the summer I can still get things into the low 60s by adding ice occasionally.

Thunder Chicken, you might want to head to the store and pick up some commercial Saison or Biere de Garde to get an idea of what you're in for. A lot of people around here love these types of brews, but they are not for everyone. It would be a shame to go to the trouble of brewing one only to find out afterward you don't care for the style. Just a thought.

You could also just use a swamp cooler to ferment beers you know you like in warmer ambient temps.

Finally, here are some Wyeast yeast strains that tolerate higher temps:

1214 Belgian Abbey 68-78° F
1388 Belgian Strong Ale 64-80° F
1762 Belgian Abbey II 65-75° F
3056 Bavarian Wheat 64-74° F Esters softened by neutral ale strain
3463 Forbidden Fruit 63-76° F Good for Witbiere
3522 Belgian Ardennes 65-76° F
3638 Bavarian Wheat 64-75° F
3711 French Saison 65-77° F
3724 Belgian Saison 70-95° F
3725 Biere de Garde 70-84° F

In response to your question about brewing in the Fall: I like to make my Irish and Scottish Ales in the fall. Both the Wyeast Irish Ale and Scottish Ale yeast do very well in the lower end of ale temps. Nothing like an oatmeal stout or a Scottish Heavy to get you ready for winter :D

A $50 used fridge + a $50 temperature controller was the best investment I've ever done for brewing!

Agree that you will want to try a Saison before committing to 5 gallons. I love the stuff, but I can get why someone might not. Bier de Garde is a little different- modern examples are usually clean ales that are cold conditioned for a while, and not nearly as estery as Saison.

Consider 3711 if you like what you taste. Some of the other Saison strains are far from temperature insensitive. If you can't heat them up at the end, they can quit at 1.030. 3711 is supposed to work like a beast in the 70s.

I like Ardennes in a pale ale or blonde. If you cool to 66, pitch, swamp cool for a few days, and then let it get to your spring room temp, you can get some great Belgian flavor.

I like to ferment my hefes in the low 60s, so it's almost getting too warm for that.

But I recommend building a really easy swamp cooler / heater combo. A large plastic tub, an aquarium heater, a fan, and the e-bay temperature controller (STC-1000) will run you a total of like $50, and will give you reasonable temperature control. It's not a ferm chamber, but it's a gigantic improvement over nothing. Put it in the coldest part of your house (basement as long as you have a dehumidifier) and you'll be amazed at what it can do. I can control from 55 up to 90 this time of year, and in the summer I can still get things into the low 60s by adding ice occasionally.

I don't have a basement and only really have a corner of a kitchen under a table to play with. Dedicated fridges and controllers are not in the cards in this house. It's cramped. I have a window unit AC so I can vary temps only by moving closer/farther from the room with the AC. Low 60s and 50s are going to be hard to get during the summer months.

Agree that you will want to try a Saison before committing to 5 gallons. I love the stuff, but I can get why someone might not. Bier de Garde is a little different- modern examples are usually clean ales that are cold conditioned for a while, and not nearly as estery as Saison.

Consider 3711 if you like what you taste. Some of the other Saison strains are far from temperature insensitive. If you can't heat them up at the end, they can quit at 1.030. 3711 is supposed to work like a beast in the 70s.

I like Ardennes in a pale ale or blonde. If you cool to 66, pitch, swamp cool for a few days, and then let it get to your spring room temp, you can get some great Belgian flavor.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of fruity beers and banana esters don't appeal, but I'll sample and see if it grows on me. Something clean tasting would be preferred.

Saison yeast likes high temperatures. Most people start them around the mid 70's and let them ramp up to 80 or so. Like most Belgian strains you get different esters as the temp goes up.

Do some research on Saison strains before you pick one though, as some are really finicky. I used Wyeast 3724 without research with not so great results. It likes REALLY hot temps. I had to kick mine into the 90's to get it to finish out and it is not my best beer by a long shot.

That said I use the Ardennes strain for most of my Belgian style brews and ferment in the upper 60's to lower 70's. I think a clean yeast like Chico (1056, WLP001, US-05) does great in the same range. As long as you can keep most of the cleaner strains under 74 you should be good. And if you like fruity esters you can go higher on many, especially Belgians...just watch out for nanner beer!

Going to be in the 80's here today. :(

I have a swamp cooler but even with a 1 gallon frozen water bottle My temps were in the 70's by the time I got home.

Temp control was my biggest problem brewing in Texas. I finally had to find a fridge and temp controller and that was one of the biggest improvements in my beer. Found a great wine fridge really cheap at a local thrift store that I still use today!

Do some research on Saison strains before you pick one though, as some are really finicky. I used Wyeast 3724 without research with not so great results. It likes REALLY hot temps. I had to kick mine into the 90's to get it to finish out and it is not my best beer by a long shot.

That's true, I used 3711 for that exact reason. Too many stories of 3724 stalling out somewhere around 1.030.

That's true, I used 3711 for that exact reason. Too many stories of 3724 stalling out somewhere around 1.030.

Yep. Stalled and then kicked off again when I jacked the temps way up but I am not happy with the flavor, even after a couple months in the bottle. I bottle harvested some Hennepin yeast this week so I think I'll try that for my next Saison.

Going to be in the 80's here today. :(

I have a swamp cooler but even with a 1 gallon frozen water bottle My temps were in the 70's by the time I got home.

Do you have a fan you can put on your swamp cooler? If you keep the t-shirt wet and keep a dry breeze blowing past it you can get the temperature down to the local dew point if you want. The fan is the key.

I just sampled a Kölsch - that is something I could probably manage better than a pure lager. I could ferment that in the house in the low 60s during the winter and lager it in my equipment room in the 45-50F range for quite a while. Too late now, but next year.

I ferment in a chest freezer with a lightbulb in a aluminum can, but I wonder if that solution wouldn't work for a closet (to keep warm). I have done some yeast starters in a closet with the lightbulb can and gotten them to 80 with ease during the winter, I'm sure it could be tuned to get into the 90s.

Apparently Mauribrew dry ale yeast can handle temperatures up to 30c not sure i believe it but could be fine up to the mid 20s.

I just sampled my first ever saison - Silly Saison. I wondered how a beer could have banana and clove flavors to it - now I know. It's not bad at all and I wouldn't refuse another if offered another, but I don't think I would try making big batches of this. It's a bit on the sweet side for my tastes.

A saison definitely should not be sweet. Grab an Ommegang Hennepin, Saison Dupont, or Pretty Things Jack D'or. 3 of my favorites.

My definition of "sweet" may be the problem. Maybe a better description would be malty with banana and clove aroma. I'll check out your recommendations though - Silly Saison may not be the best representative of the type.

My wife thinks I am a sweet "supertaster". The sweetness of fruit juice is overwhelmingly disgusting to me. I'm really sensitive to unbalanced malt in a beer. Many, many beers have hints of sweetness to me.

Saisons should be really dry and usually have a pretty simple malt bill. The fruitiness should come from the yeast. Definitely try something like Hennepin or one of the more traditional Belgian brews if you can find them. Some American brewers miss the boat on their attempts because they just aren't experts in the style. Ommegang is certainly one of the many exceptions to that opinion.

As perhaps another example - I'm drinking a Franziskaner Weissbier now, and that hits me as a pretty sweet beer. I definitely taste and smell the fruity esters in that beer, but I also taste "sweet" which really massively dominates everything else for me.

Nice purchase! That's pretty much the textbook saison. Since you're in MA (as am I), you're lucky that you can easily get Pretty Things. Their flagship beer (Jack D'Or) is a great saison, but they have a late spring seasonal called Field Mouse's Farewell that should be coming out soon, that's my favorite beer they make. It's a super dry rustic saison.

Nice purchase! That's pretty much the textbook saison. Since you're in MA (as am I), you're lucky that you can easily get Pretty Things. Their flagship beer (Jack D'Or) is a great saison, but they have a late spring seasonal called Field Mouse's Farewell that should be coming out soon, that's my favorite beer they make. It's a super dry rustic saison.

I'll put them on my Beer of the Week list! I've got a good liquor mart near by that stocks everything from PBR through barleywine.

Thanks for the leads. I have been a beer drinker for a while, but these threads have been pointing me to things that I have never seen or tried. Cheers to new experiences! :mug:

Yeah, Silly is one of the most malt forward. Dupont is great though sometimes it's a little too lightstruck. I will second Jack D'or from Pretty Things, but I'm personally not a fan of Hennepin. Not saying it's a bad example, just doesn't work for me.

I also second Belgian Ardennes from WYeast as being an excellent choice. If you have a way to heat it up to 70+ consistently for the last few days that may help it finish up. Good luck!

I worried a bit about my purchases - there isn't so much turnover on these top-shelf beers and I did encounter a lot of dusty bottles. They were stored in the shade of the shelf and the ones I picked didn't seem lightstruck.

Getting the ferment up to 70F is a breeze. My bigger problem is keeping temps in the 60s for some brews during the summers.

Latest posts

Back