Temperature Controller Fluctuation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bulbous_blues

Reaction score
Hi

Can anyone with experience of temp controllers advise me. I have a 5 cu ft black and decker chest freezer with an Auber TD100a dual temp controller. I have a 6.5 gallon brew bucket with water in it and a thermowell through the lid and the probe in that. I've been testing it out and I found that if I have a cool temp set for say 67 degrees the temp controller will turn the freezer off but the temp just keeps dropping, down to at least 60 degrees. I added a computer fan which seemed to help a little. Am I missing something? Is this normal? Do I need more circulation, is the freezer to small?

Thanks

Chest freezers have that over-shoot pretty much built-in - turning off the compressor doesn't "turn off" the refrigerant that just got injected into the evaporator loop.

That said, I'm surprised that a thermowell in a 5+ gallon bucket of beer would see that big of an overshoot - unless the controller was running amuck, or the settings weren't what were actually intended. If the probe was measuring air temperature, that's a whole 'nuther story as you'd see humongous spikes, but the hysteresis provided by that large a volume of fluid shouldn't see that big a swing in the beer temperature.

Given years of experience with controllers used for fermenting in fridges and dispensing from chest freezers, I'd conclude that something ain't right...

Cheers!

OK I'm gonna give it another look tomorrow, see whats up. Sit and and watch dam thing see what happens exactly. Thanks for the reply

Back