Temperature Control Solutions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhiteDog87

Reaction score
I was wondering what sort of solutions to controlling fermentation temperature have fellow home brewers come up with? I live in los angeles so temperatures are fairly mild, however it does get pretty warm in the summer months, and temperature drop from day to night can be around 15-20F.

I don't want to use another refrigerator, as I usually ferment 2-3 5gallon batches at a time, so a fridge is too small (and uses too much electricity).

I'm pretty lucky that the room I ferment in stays really close to ideal temps year round. Im in Denver. I just use the temp strip stickers stuck to the outside of my better bottles. I'll check them 2-3 times a day. If its too cold during the winter, I move the carboy closer to the heater and it warms it up enough. Too hot, I wrap it in a wet towel, point a fan at it if needed, and it cools it off. Minimal hassle, and it is enough to keep me in the ideal ranges for the yeast, and my beer is turning out great.

If I didnt have a room that stayed in this range, id get a ferm. chamber.

I use a chest freezer with a digital temperature controller. I can easily fit two (2) carboys in there at a time. When I built my keezer, I added a collar for the taps, and I was able to fit three carboys in there for fermentation.

I'm planning on picking up a second freezer this summer and dedicating it for fermentation. They really don't go on too much during the day that I have noticed.

I don't want to use another refrigerator, as I usually ferment 2-3 5gallon batches at a time, so a fridge is too small (and uses too much electricity).

My spare fridge can hold 4 primaries, and as far as electricity is concerned keep in mind that the fridge will only kick on when it needs to drop temps to your set point (perhaps 60*F) so the power consumption is a fraction of a normal fridge which works to maintain an internal temp of ~38*F.

You can use water baths, you can put a controller on a freezer, but the cheapest (and in my opinion, the best) solution to temperature control is a good sized fridge with a two stage temp controller from ebay (about $30). My two cents. Good luck.

My spare fridge can hold 4 primaries, and as far as electricity is concerned keep in mind that the fridge will only kick on when it needs to drop temps to your set point (perhaps 60*F) so the power consumption is a fraction of a normal fridge which works to maintain an internal temp of ~38*F.

You can use water baths, you can put a controller on a freezer, but the cheapest (and in my opinion, the best) solution to temperature control is a good sized fridge with a two stage temp controller from ebay (about $30). My two cents. Good luck.

Do you have an example of one of those?

Thanks,

I didn't think about the reduced power consumption with a controller keeping the temp above normal operating temp, so the fridge does not kick on nearly as much, thanks for the insight! I just bought a new fridge a couple of weeks ago and turned it into a four tap kegerator so i'll have to figure out how to convince my family to let me have a 3rd fridge plugged in in the house :ban:

I didn't think about the reduced power consumption with a controller keeping the temp above normal operating temp, so the fridge does not kick on nearly as much, thanks for the insight! I just bought a new fridge a couple of weeks ago and turned it into a four tap kegerator so i'll have to figure out how to convince my family to let me have a 3rd fridge plugged in in the house :ban:

If you get into trouble for buying more hardware, you can always ferment in the kegerator. It won't hurt the kegged beer for it to sit at 60*F for a week during active fermentation...

This is how is maintain temps during fermentation, works pretty well for ales and lagers. I really only brew lagers in the winter, and lager in the keg. :mug:

I do the same thing but know I have added the ebay dual stage digital controller. One stage controls an aquarium heater...nothing new there. The other stage controls a cheap harbor freight pump. It pumps the "cooling" water from the water bath through an immersion cooler that's placed in a cooler of ice water and then back into the water bath. It keeps temps controlled easily AND it doesn't take up nearly as much room as a fridge/freezer.

I do the same thing but know I have added the ebay dual stage digital controller. One stage controls an aquarium heater...nothing new there. The other stage controls a cheap harbor freight pump. It pumps the "cooling" water from the water bath through an immersion cooler that's placed in a cooler of ice water and then back into the water bath. It keeps temps controlled easily AND it doesn't take up nearly as much room as a fridge/freezer.

Hey man, that's a good idea! :mug:

Nordeast........I do the same as you but if I hit a real warm spell I keep things cool for an extended time by wrapping my cooler in bubblewrap and throwing a layer of styrofoam "peanuts" on top. I had to do last year when we got clobbered by a heat wave and it worked great. Not very pretty though

Nordeast........I do the same as you but if I hit a real warm spell I keep things cool for an extended time by wrapping my cooler in bubblewrap and throwing a layer of styrofoam "peanuts" on top. I had to do last year when we got clobbered by a heat wave and it worked great. Not very pretty though

I have a piece of foam insulation (1 1/4", I believe) that I've cut a hole in to fit the top of a carboy that I use in the summer. I may have to try the bubble wrap idea once it warms up, I seem to have a surplus of the stuff laying around. :D

going to setup a big plastic storage tub from walmart, 30 gal, that can fit 2 carboys with ease and tall enough to fill up to the carboy neck.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sterilite-30-Gallon-Storage-Bins-Set-of-6/8282894?findingMethod=rr
plan on using a fan blowing over the water and evaporation to help cool and transfer away fermentation heat in my air conditioned apartment. this should at least keep the beer very close to air temp instead of a few degrees above at peak fermentation.

If it's cool outside for the week of the primary, slide the whole thing out on my porch at night to cool off, and it should stay cool through most of the day inside with AC. if it starts warming too much in the afternoon/evening, throw a frozen bottle in.

costs $10 and not as much effort as constant bottle cycling

Back