Temperature Control Killed Vigorous Blowoff

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zixxer10R

Reaction score
So every single batch that i've brewed since getting my fermentation chamber hasn't had any blowoff matter. I haven't changed my extract/AG process at all and i never make any starters. I suppose in the end i come out with more beer but i was just wondering if any of you guys have noticed that you basically have non-existant blowoff activity once your temps are in control?

I just brewed a Porter, OG 1.067. It's a 5 gallon batch in a 6.5 gallon carboy. Pitched Wyeast 1084 Irish Ale (made starter). Even at ambient temp of 58-60 degrees, my krausen filled the headspace and pushed up into my blowoff tube.

The last time I used this yeast, without temp control, it fermented at 70 degrees ambient. The krausen pushed through the blowoff tube and started filling the growler at the end of the tube.

So I'd say, you can still have some tremendously active fermentation, even while controlling temperature.

Seems to be dependent on yeast used and starting gravity. Yes temp has an effect, but it can't be the only one.

While extreme temperatures might induce the necessity for a blow off, it isn't the only factor. I've been using a chamber for several years and about 25% of my beers require a blow off... and that is when using the lower end of the temperature range for a given yeast. Don't let yourself be lulled into a false sense of security....lol

Oh, i'll always use a blowoff. There's no question about that, especially when you've filled two handles of Cap'n Morgan/Jim Beam to the rim with blowoff matter for one batch.

My question was more or less, does temperature control reduce the violence of blowoff? I literally haven't NEEDED a blowoff tube (even though i rig one up each time) since i got my keezer.

I think you answered your own question. Now that your temps are under control, the absence of a starter is showing that the activity is wanting. I would start making starters for the next few batches and see the difference it makes. It's kind of a big deal.

True, it may be a big deal, but in the grand scheme of things White Labs and Wyeast develop their products to be immediately pitchable. Ultimately it won't make a difference in the final attenation (though perhaps the speed at which it reaches finality will be affected). I'm pretty lazy and generally don't plan ahead enough to be able to have viable starters ready for pitching days before brewing. I'm just kinda missing the blowoff mess i used to have.

If you USED to ferment at like 75-85 degrees, and now you are fermenting at 63-66, then you are typically going to have less vigorous, longer, and cleaner fermentations.

Fermentation is always going to be faster, more vigorous, and "dirtier" at higher temps, so by extension, keeping the temps in the lower part of the yeast's optimum range is definitely going to decrease blow offs.

Well i wouldn't say i was in the 75-80 range, probably more like 68-72. If all i'm missing is an asthetic blowoff outcome then i'm not really gonna worry about it.

Keeping everything else equal, i've found higher temps = bigger blow offs. Higher temps usually also = more esters.

I still get blowoffs even when I have the ferm chamber set to 60-degrees and using a 6.5 gal. carboy. This picture was from last Sunday when I made the mistake of only using a half-gallon growler to capture the blowoff.

blowoff.jpg

The probe is attached to to the side of the carboy using my wife's old belt and a piece of foam/neoprene to insulate it from the outside air.

There's definitely more at play than just temperature, when it comes to blow-offs. I've got two fermenters in my chamber right now - they're #3 and #4 that have been in there. #1 - a 1.05-ish OG pumpkin ale - had no blow off. #2 - a 1.079 OG wiezenbock - blew off like crazy, even with the temp set to the low end of the spectrum for that particular yeast.

But even more interesting are my current fermenters. They're two halves of a 10 gallon batch of bock. One was pitched a single smack pack, the other with a starter as recommended by MrMalty. Predictably, the starter one not only had a far shorter lag, but it actually blew off a little bit in the first day or so, while the other one, even after its lag time was over, has not blown off at all.

So you get your fermentation temps under control, and if you want a mess it would appear that you need to do a starter...

That's a statement that makes sense.

Unless you're doing something with a lot of wheat, my hefeweizens invariably blow off even with temp control and no starter.

I think you answered your own question. Now that your temps are under control, the absence of a starter is showing that the activity is wanting. I would start making starters for the next few batches and see the difference it makes. It's kind of a big deal.

+1 to this. You always used to blow off because your yeast were going gangbusters in the warmer temps. If 68-72 was your ambient, you can be sure the latent heat from all that activity was at least 5degrees higher in your wort.

Now with the cooler temps, you'll get cleaner flavors, but you definitely need to start doing starters. The signs of underpitching will start to show more now that you've got your temps down.

Just for reference, I brewed a belgian strong dark (OG 1.094) a few weeks ago that blew through the blowoff for a week. That was with a 3 quart starter.

Back