Temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ennordagr8

Reaction score
Please help what is the ideal temp for brewing beer?? And if not quite warm enough will it take longer to ferment as getting cold here in the Uk

It basically depends on the ideal temp range listed for the yeast in question. Most brewing supply websites list this kind of info. Sites like Midwest also have PDF files that describe starters or rehydrating,etc.

For Ale yeast, the ideal range is around 65 - 75 F (18 - 24 C). You may be getting a little cool in the UK if you don't have any means of temperature control. You are however, right in the range for lagering. Lager yeast prefer it much cooler around 45 - 55 F (7 - 13 C). The fermentation process take longer when lagering, but it is well worth the wait. :mug:

Some ale yeast strains are great at about 14C- 18C, like nottingham, S04, pacman, Denny's favorite 50, etc, with an ideal of 16C.

I particularly love nottingham at 14C, and Denny's Favorite (Wyeast 1450) at 16C.

I don't think it gets cold in the UK (says the guy who lives where it is expected that the temperature in winter will drop to -40 (that's the same in C as F)). The current temp is 4C. and raining lightly. It's too nasty to work outside so I'm brewin!

Back