Temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kristofer

Reaction score
What is the optimal temperature for making wine while it is fermenting?

What is the optimal temperature to store wine once you have bottled it?

it depends on the strain of yeast you are using, different strains have different temperature ranges. I like my wine to be stored no hotter than 65F and ideally I would store wine at 55-60F but some do like it even colder than that. Every cellar is a bit different.

Since yeast evolved on this earth same as you, any temp that you are comfortable at will be comfortable.

Some temps will work better than others, but as long as it isn't too hot or too cold, it will work.

I toured a winery this year and saw on the side of there vessel it was showing a digital reading of 59F so apparently they prefer to ferment at lower temperatures and I would have to agree with this. Just don't go to low or the yeast will stop working.

Two other thoughts that will hopefully clarify some things. One, and this may be obvious, but we're talking must temperature and not room temperature. Fermentation will typically cause the temp of the must to increase and be higher than the surrounding ambient temp.

Two, reds and whites have different optimal temp ranges. I don't make whites, but everything I've read indicates they should be fermented in the range Honda has mentioned. For reds, all the publications I've picked up say that the must temp should be allowed to run up to somewhere between 80-95F, at least for a short amount of time.

Maybe someone who's made wine on an industrial scale can chime in here. Or even someone who's gotten some education on this matter at an institute for higher learning.

I ferment at 70-71deg. I make fresh fruit wines. I have a commercial wine fridge bought at lowes. I can fit a 3 gal and 1 gal carboy into it. With the thermostat set to the lowest setting the temperature is around 60 deg f. I put an RTD probe inside and control the power applied to the fridge with a digital temp controller and a relay. I have it set to turn on @ 71 and turn off @ 70. I have made a batch since controlling the temp and can taste a significant improvement. I also tend to think that the wine clears up faster as well .

so true, if your must temperature is 60F you are actually fermenting at a bit higher than this. This is why its important that you keep your must temperature well below the max temperature range of the yeast. I like to think a cool slow steady ferment would produce the best wine instead of a hot and fast one.

There are many different opinions on this, according to some wine makers 67F to 72F would be too high. My opinion is that a slow steady fermentation is better then a fast hot one. To each their own.

Back