Temp sensor placement

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dbarrm

Reaction score
I'm building a fermentation chamber and have a few questions.

1. Where is the best place to put the temp sensor and will this change depending on if its top load or front doors?

2. What is the best sealant to use inside the chamber that will hold up to the cool temps and humidity (in South Florida).

Dan

I strap my temp sensor to the side of my carboy with foam over it. Easy to do since I use Brew Haulers. I just stick the sponge part of an old sponge paint brush between the carboy and the Brew Hauler belt then push the probe between the sponge and the carboy. Works every time.

Im looking for a place to permanently attach the sensor in my chamber. The chamber will be big enough for 4 to 5 carboys at a time.

IMG_6847Large.jpg

I do just like TomSD does with my temp sensor. You want to take the temp of the beer that is activley fermenting, not the ambient temp. I would not perm attach it to one place for this reason. Think about it, when your beer is fermenting it's always hotter than the ambient air around it from all the activity inside the carboy. Use a exterior silicone/caulk that is mold resistent in the chamber, you can get that from any hardware store.

brew015.jpg
[/IMG]

Well then if your fermenting two different batches which one do you put it on?

Dan

Well then if your fermenting two different batches which one do you put it on?

Dan

Depends. If I'm using two different yeast strains and one wants to run cooler than the other, I strap my Ranco probe to the batch that wants to run cooler, set the Ranco accordingly, and let the other batch deal with it. Otoh, if both stains will be happy at about the same temperature, I strap the probe to the batch with the higher OG, assuming it will be the more exothermic.

So far that's worked pretty well...

Cheers!

I understand what you guys are saying but am really wanting the probe to be placed somewhere permanent. Would placing it in a container of water give a better liquid temp for whatever is in there (besides fermenting liquids)?

Dan

I understand what you guys are saying but am really wanting the probe to be placed somewhere permanent. Would placing it in a container of water give a better liquid temp for whatever is in there (besides fermenting liquids)?

Dan

In a fermentation chamber, I doubt it. You'd likely be better off just measuring the air temperature than a container of water that would take a long time to react to the increasing air temperature due to the fermentation taking place...

Cheers!

Dan

The water would be 65 (or whatever you set it at) while the beer fermenting would be 5-10 degrees higher. Also a pint of water is going to cool down a lot faster that 5 gallons of angry yeast in the heat of battle, giving you a big difference in temps. Out of curiosity, why are you so set on perm attaching it? for looks?.

This will be used as cold storage, fermentation. I don't want the sensor to be ripped out on accident or anything.

Now this temp sensor will be the one controlling the refrigeration unit.

Dan

Dan, not sure what else to say then. If you look at the picture above of mine you can see why I never forget to take it off my carboy's before I take them out of the fermentation chamber. You are going to do what you want to do, but I would highly advise keeping the temp sensor on the carboy like everyone has posted, this will give you the best and easiest/cheapest control of your temps on your beer.

Well then I think ill do this. Ill place the controller temp sensor along the top of the chamber in the middle and then get some some of these pictured below for each fermenting container.

thermohygroexo.jpg

There you go, then you can adjuste the temp sensor based on those. Good luck and take some photos of the chamber when complete.

Back