Temp probes in Thermowells

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tnorman93638

Reaction score
I'm currently working on a new Fermentation chamber. I got a commercial freezer from my work. I have a Johnson controller to control the temperature of the freezer (probe is in tubing in a jar of water) and I have 3 STC-1000 to control my fermenting brew. I built a box to house the STC-1000 and all 3 probes are feed in to the freezer. I have Ferm-Wraps to apply heat to my buckets or carboys attached to the heat side of the STC-1000.

Here's my question: I'm trying to get everything calibrated before I start brewing to make sure everything is working properly. I took all 3 STC probes twist tied together and placed in the cold water in the carboy. I set all 3 probes variance so they all read the same. 1 was right at freezer temp the other 2 were only off by -.2. Then I placed 2 of the probes in to Thermowells that were in 2 different buckets of water and the 3rd is on the side of the carboy under a insulated pad to keep from reading the air temp. The carboy temp went down and the 2 thermowell temps went up. Not by very much but everything has been in the freezer for 2 days now and should be reading all the same. Do I need to change anything in order to get everything reading the same? Should the thermowells top be plugged? Or am I just being over critical as they are only off by less than 1 degrees Celsius.

If this is an exercise in perfection for the sake of perfection - then carry on. If you're just looking to have a good setup so you can get your fermentation chamber working - you're fine, IMO. A degree delta is nothing to be concerned about, especially because temperatures aren't homogenous throughout the keezer or throughout the carboy.

BadNewsBrewery I test ran my new fermenting chamber system now for about 3days with just water and it's working great. Freezer only kicks on 2-3 times a day the other 3 controllers stay very close to what I have them set at. Thanks for the advise again.

Latest posts

Back