Temp probe length

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

30Bones

Reaction score
Building a bottom drain keggle (HLT/BK) and have a 2" long PT100 with 1/2" NPT threads. Plan was to use this in conjunction with my sight glass in the T fitting, but concerned as it doesn't protrude into the kettle. Will it really matter since it sits low in the kettle and should be accurate for HLT/BK needs?

Pic for reference is of an 8" probe auberin sells which I like other than the $50 price tag. I do not use an immersion chiller either so nothing will be going into the kettle to hit it.

Pt100-L200-1.JPG

PT100-L200.JPG

If it doesn't protrude into the kettle I would be worried readings aren't accurate since liquid in the site glass just hangs out with no circulation. I used a 4" probe in the same setup and it protruded enough to provide accurate temp.

That's my concern, but it will also have a heating element near it also and that alone creates a lot of turbulence. Another option is to use a 90 on my sight glass and drill another hole for the temp probe I have now. No added costs as I have the pieces laying around. Just wanted as few of holes as possible.

I ended up drilling a dedicated hole after upgrading to a Blichmann kettle. Saving coin on these projects is a plus.

Maybe try a water test with it as is in the site glass comparing the PID temp to a separate temp gauge to determine any difference.

I ended up drilling a dedicated hole after upgrading to a Blichmann kettle. Saving coin on these projects is a plus.

Maybe try a water test with it as is in the site glass comparing the PID temp to a separate temp gauge to determine any difference.
I may do that once it's up and running. This is not a permanent kettle as I really dislike keggles, but I will change that on the next build

I just remembered, I have a 4" thermowell with 1/2" NPT threads in my CFC chiller I could put in place of the current temp probe and buy a probe like this instead. As far as the CFC goes, just put a dial thermometer in it's place.

Back