Temp for co2 suck back

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BedtimeBrewer

Reaction score
Im thinking about fining my phat tyre extract clone next week when it’s done in the primary. The temp in my garage will be in the upper 40s F overnight. Will this temp cause a sick back through the air lock?

I can alternatively put the carbon in the basement where it’s fermenting now at 61F, or not fine at all which I’m also considering. I understand it will carb up much sooner without fining but there will be more sediment.

I dont think there is an answer to that with out some difficult questions. I'd guess it would be determined by head space, volume of liquid in the container and degree of temperature change if you are really worried about suck back you can put a balloon, plastic wrap or a rubber glove over the airlock and tape it in place. You'll have to let the fermenter rise back to its "normal" temp before removing whatever you used to stop air flow or it will all suck back anyway right when you remove it.

Any change in temperature will cause the gasses to pass through the airlock, in one direction or the other. Personally I don't worry about it. I have not oxidized any beer enough to be noticeable. But I will some day look into co2 capturing devices.

Any change in temperature will cause the gasses to pass through the airlock, in one direction or the other. Personally I don't worry about it. I have not oxidized any beer enough to be noticeable. But I will some day look into co2 capturing devices.

Or, conversely, you’ve oxidized every batch this way and come to expect the outcome?

Thanks both. That all makes sense. I’m using a carboy cap so maybe I’ll try to fill a Mylar balloon off it.

If I can’t get it to fill then maybe I’ll skip the fining. It seems to take about three weeks to clear in the bottle so I don’t know if there is much to gain by fining if I have to wait that long for the carbonation anyway. Perhaps a slightly cleaner taste.

I actually have a beer on tap now that has obvious oxidation problems. I cold crashed like I've done many times before with presumably no problems. But this time I notice a wet cardboard note that wasn't there at first in the first keg. Its there now though and I'm afraid I'll be dumping the second keg because of it.

To the specific question though, as others have already commented the "suck back" will happen with any decrease in temperature due to volume displacement. The lower the temp drops, the greater the liquid volume will shrink and in turn suck back more air.

I can say I'll either no longer cold crash because of this problem or I'll take measures to reduce O2 exposure. I am now a believer!

Thanks both. That all makes sense. I’m using a carboy cap so maybe I’ll try to fill a Mylar balloon off it.

If I can’t get it to fill then maybe I’ll skip the fining. It seems to take about three weeks to clear in the bottle so I don’t know if there is much to gain by fining if I have to wait that long for the carbonation anyway. Perhaps a slightly cleaner taste.

Three weeks for bottle conditioning is the NORMAL amount of time. You may or may not have carbonation earlier. But it is my experience that ALL of my beers have tasted better with 3 weeks conditioning.

I get it. There’s no time advantage to fining and crashing if you bottle.

I guess I’ll have to decide if removing max yeast from the flavor is worth the oxidation risk(I don’t think amber should have yeast flavor in the profile).

Back