Temp Controller Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lenny2884

Reaction score
I'm planning on using an old frig as a fermentation chamber but had a question about temperature controllers. The frig is in my basement and right now the temp. down there ranges from 65-72 depending on the temp in the rest of the house. In the winter it gets down to 49-53 degrees. I make mostly ales and like to ferment around 65-68, so do I need to buy a 2-stage temp. controller and also buy a small heating unit to use in the fall and winter? Or will the insulation in the frig hold the temp fairly well during the colder months? Thanks for any input guys

Man, I'd say you're fine even without the fridge, certainly at least in the summer. It sounds like your basement is right in the fermenting temperature "wheel-house" for ales. How do you figure you're going to get your fridge to heat up air in the winter?

Thanks BK. Your fridge looks awesome. I don't have a side-by-side but your setup will work for me. Now I just need to find time to do this. Thanks again!

Latest posts

Back