Tea prep and steeping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zipper8650

Reaction score
Anyone prepping their tea according to recommended temp and steep time? Has anyone noticed a better flavor doing this instead of just soaking and trying to squeeze every drop out of the tea. I understand there is a ton to learn about tea but curious if it really makes a noticeable difference once it starts souring up. Thx!!

I've made mine several ways. Including boiling green and black together, and separately at recommended temperatures and times. Squeezing the tea risks releasing astringent tannins, which I can notice in a cup of tea, but I cannot notice in a multi-gallon batch of KT post-ferment. I have noticed no appreciable difference.
The types of tea and amounts produce the most noticeable differences.
I do not have the most discerning taste buds, so if you can notice the difference please share.

posted via Home Brew mobile app

I've actually had a tea bag rip open, which ended up leaving loose tea in my primary ferment. Needless to say it was stronger, and fermented faster. I may end up doing this on purpose for future ferments, I don't see a reason why not. All I have to do is strain it before the second ferment.

If you squeeze the tea bag before you throw it away, it just releases more tannins and things into the tea and makes it stronger. But some bacteria in the kombucha culture will eat the tannins and take its bitterness away and make the tea more lightly-colored. So you'd just be giving more food to some bacteria in the culture.

That's a neat idea scobysurfer. I might bust a tea bag in one of my batches and see what happens. :)

Latest posts

Back