TC size for elements

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZandiPilot

Reaction score
Hello all,

Long time lurker, finally going to step up and build something electric.

My first question is this: I am going to build a 3 vessel HERMs system. I want to order 20 G pots and get the TC fittings welded on for the elements in the HLT and BK.

Most places offer 1.5" and 2" - does anyone have any advice as to which is better? Why?

Thanks!
:tank:

I have 1.5" on mine. Getting the rippled element in and out isn't a problem. It has the advantage of being able to be put ever so slightly lower in the kettle, which is a plus.

I recommend the elements with integrated TC fitting and removable plug, like the one sold over at brewhardware.com. I've been using one for over a year and love it. I rarely remove it since I can just disconnect the cord. I think it only comes in 1.5".

I also have a 1.5 TC with the ripple element/built in plug, from brew hardware.com.

The ripple element goes in and out of the 1.5" hole easily. I do remove mine every time I wash.

I have 2" ones with the Stilldragon adapters and it was a bear getting the ripple elements in. If I was doing it all again I'd use the brewhardware ones where you can disconnect the cords.

I also have a couple of these 1.5" tc based ones.. only I ordered mine directly from a chinese manufacturer for $16 each vs $75... ymmv. I have no issues using them with brewhardwares weldless 1.5" adapters.

element1.jpg

I also have a couple of these 1.5" tc based ones.. only I ordered mine directly from a chinese manufacturer for $16 each vs $75... ymmv. I have no issues using them with brewhardwares weldless 1.5" adapters.

Do you have a link for those?

Any downsides?

Do you have a link for those?

Any downsides?
This is the company

http://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...62175659.html?spm=a2700.7724838.30.260.wVmlxj

I dealt specifically with Allen Gu his email is [email protected]

No downsides other than having to pay by paypal and wait. while trusting he would deliver. I have given his email to others here who have ordered from him as well.

as far as I can tell they are the same quality chinese made element that brewboss supplies to brewhardware only less middle men and customes fees involved in the supply chain here but I have never done a side by side review comparing the two so..

I wonder if it is possible to purchase the white connection piece?

I have a camco 02964/5; which have a charcoal look but they are SS, a much stronger 804 vs the 304/316 SS and has a greater life expectancy, but $40 vs $16 is still a difference.

Again, if the white plastic connector can be purchased separately then other elements can use the same plug disconnection which would be amazing.

Any thoughts?

I wonder if it is possible to purchase the white connection piece?

I have a camco 02964/5; which have a charcoal look but they are SS, a much stronger 804 vs the 304/316 SS and has a greater life expectancy, but $40 vs $16 is still a difference.

Again, if the white plastic connector can be purchased separately then other elements can use the same plug disconnection which would be amazing.

Any thoughts?
The dark incolony "limelife" elements only have a longer life in a hot water tank environment because they resist the calcium/line buildup which destroys the elements in that application.. for beer brewing there's no evidence that the have any advantage.
The white plug is welded directly to the element wire. Any adapter to add this to a normal element would make it stick out quite a bit.

Back