TBD IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brinson44

Reaction score
Just looking to get some more eyes on this rough idea of a recipe. Looking to make something slightly West Coast, but not necessarily true to style. Any recommendations?

Thanks!

--------------------------
Boil Size: 7.77 gal
Post Boil Volume: 6.77 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.50 gal
Bottling Volume: 5.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.095 SG
Estimated Color: 14.6 SRM
Estimated IBU: 69.2 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 85.1 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
17 lbs Pale Ale Malt 2-Row (Briess) (3.5 SRM) Grain 1 85.0 %
2 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 2 10.0 %
1 lbs Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 3 5.0 %
2.00 oz Columbus/Tomahawk/Zeus (CTZ) [15.50 %] - Hop 4 69.2 IBUs
1.00 oz Mosaic (HBC 369) [12.25 %] - Steep/Whirl Hop 5 0.0 IBUs
3.00 oz Mosaic (HBC 369) [12.25 %] - Dry Hop 2.0 Hop 6 0.0 IBUs

With a 95 point OG and a crapton of crystal I don't think this would be considered "to style" for a WCIPA.
Maybe a double imperial something or other, though I don't think the hops are in balance for this heavy brew...

Cheers!

With a 95 point OG and a crapton of crystal I don't think this would be considered "to style" for a WCIPA.
Maybe a double imperial something or other, though I don't think the hops are in balance for this heavy brew...

Cheers!

Yeah, I think I’m leaning toward some kind of big version of a WCIPA with a heavy dose of Mosaic on the nose. I also, love a touch of malt in my IPAs so that’s where the crystal came from. Didn’t want to leave it all 2-row.

I’d cut the c60 in half and triple the whirlpool addition and at least double the DH addition.

You want more malt character blend in some Golden Promise or another Pale Ale malt. Adding lots of caramel malt is not the way to go.

For "malt character" in my IPAs without adding sweetness and crystal malt flavor I usually turn to Maris Otter as the main base malt, plus some Vienna or Munich. I personally don't like the taste of pairing tropical/fruity hops with any crystal darker than 40L (more like 20L), and usually in very small amounts. With MO and Munich you can get plenty of malt flavor, plenty of body to keep the beer from feeling thin (especially with that much grain), still dry out the beer, and not clash with the hops.

I'd be tempted to use your original grain bill as the starting point for an American Barleywine. Drop the Mosaic, stick with C hops, and shoot for a Bigfoot/Hog Heaven type thing.

You could layer base grains. Pils, maris otter, Golden promise, or 2 row. Throw in some Munich and wheat.

Only one way to find out! Brew it as designed and see how it turns out. Everyone will have a opinion and while it’s not a bad thing, if you develop a recipe, brew it. See how it turns out. You might just like it and so might others.

I originally was thinking MO instead anyway. Have yet to brew with it, but have wanted to check it out. Didn’t know Crystal was such a bad choice and I don’t mind ditching it all since that seems to be the consensus.

Latest posts

Back