Tastes like hop water...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doog_Si_Reeb

Beer is Good. And stuff!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I made a SMaSH IPA. I used Colorado grown 2-row malt for the base and locally grown Cascade hops. I used Randy Mosher's method to try creating Crystal-like malt from the two row. I did a single infusion mash and used S-04 yeast to do the hard work. Fermentation went well. I dry hopped in secondary. Saturday I kegged the batch.

The color came out great, but the malt flavor is seriously lacking. There is not much body and virtually no malt sweetness. I hoped that S-04 would leave a little residual sweetness. The hop flavor and aroma are great, but I want a little more body/flavor. Since this has completed fermentation, my options are pretty limited.

I have some malto-dextrin that I can add to it, but would like some opinions on whether malto-dextrin or lactose would help make the beer a little better. It is drinkable as it is, but I would like to make it better. Thanks for any input!

On a side note, I typically use a good amount of Munich and some crystal for my IPAs. I'll definitely do that again on the next one in lieu of 2-row alone.

What temp did you mash at? OG/FG? I really like a dry IPA (aka West Coast), the last one went from 1.071 to 1.011 or so and is just about perfect for my tastes. Mostly American pale, a bit of carapils, plus some refined sugar.

I don't have my brewing notes with me at work, so this is an estimate. I'm thinking it finished somewhere around 1.012. OG was 1.056. I mashed at 152, but probably should have gone a little higher to get more unfermentables. I also like dryer IPAs, but this one isn't very exciting. The typical malt backbone that I like isn't there.

I think the issue might be your OG, 1.056 is pretty much a pale ale not an IPA in my opinion. (BJCP says OG from 1.056-1.075, so you are just at the very bottom according to them).

The slight sweetness in most IPAs is from the small amount of caramel malt. MD will help both the body and flavor. 4-8 oz should be plenty.

Thanks for all the input. I was shooting for the low end of the gravity scale to make a lower ABV IPA. One other thing to note (I may have jumped the gun), the taste was at room temp and it was uncarbonated (hydro sample). Maybe a little carbonation will help with the flavor. I'm thinking I will carb it up and see how it tastes. If it's still lacking, I'll add a little MD and see what that does for the beer.

This beer will be in an Identic-Ale competition in April and I'd like it to be presentable. :mug:

Back