Taste test unreliable - has this every happened to you?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iambeer

Reaction score
Have you ever taken a beer sample from a done fermentation and thought---wow this beer is Perfect with a capital P and then by the time it's transferred to the next phase, the next sample doesn't taste quite as amazing?

Also, things taste good one day and bad the next.. Like if I eat something with lots of garlic, beer will tastes magical, and if I eat a inhale a twinkie, beer doesn't taste good unless it's over hopped. Am I unreliable-tasting impaired?

It happens to me quite a lot! I know that when I get home from work, after an 11 hour work day, I could chug an IPA like it's nothing. As opposed to usually, I'd like to sit and enjoy the hoppiness of an IPA.

I think it all depends on how thirsty you are, what you're eating, and what kind of beer you're in te mood for.

your taste buds are affected by what you are tasting

thats why there is pairings of beer with food (and wine obviously too). different things oyu eat will affect how the next will taste

That's the difference between wine & beer. Wine contrasts the food,beer mingles with the flavors of the food. So different beers for the taste effects of different foods. I love how beer mixes with food's flavors.
Maybe this is all the more reason to have different home brews on hand? Maybe we all need to,at some point,brew at least a couple different batches at a time. Drinking only one style at a time is ok,but variety to suite what we eat daily would be better I think...

Back