Taste effect of chalk

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArcLight

Reaction score
If you add chalk to your wort just before fermentation, what is the effect on the mouth feel and taste?
(I am specifically not asking about acidity, I'm interested in chalk taste and grittiness)
Does the beer taste chalky?
Is it gritty?

Does the chalk settle out over 2.5 weeks, and then another few days of cold crashing?

I'm not sure anybody would know this, because I've never heard of that being done. Chalk is (rarely) used to adjust water mineral content prior to the mash to ensure proper mash pH, and even that technique is falling out of favor. Can I ask why you want to know?

I'm not sure anybody would know this, because I've never heard of that being done. Chalk is (rarely) used to adjust water mineral content prior to the mash to ensure proper mash pH, and even that technique is falling out of favor. Can I ask why you want to know?

I want to acidify my wort to a pH of 4.5 (to preclude the risk of Botulism), so I can store it in a no Chill container for up to a few months, and then raise the pH back to around 5.2 so I can use it for beer (i.e. add yeast).

That is pretty odd. Why not just make a batch later? I'm not a food safety expert so I can't tell you how well that would work, and definitely can't recommend it. Chalk is hard to dissolve though, I'd go with some food-grade NaOH or similar.

Hell in the name of science go for it and see what happens.
I would put a blanket of C02 on the wort or keg it and keep it on pressure during storage.
That would help you to get your Calcium Carbonate into solution when you decide to make beer with it.
When your ready, bring the PH into range, oxygenate the wort and pitch your yeast.
In reasonable amounts I don't think you will get tremendous flavor contributions from the chalk.
Let us know how it works.

Based on my past no-chill experience, and the experiences of others, just brew the beer without dropping the pH; it'll keep just fine. The longest I've ever gone is a month, but others have done up to 6 months with no ill effect.

Hell in the name of science go for it and see what happens.
I would put a blanket of C02 on the wort or keg it and keep it on pressure during storage.
That would help you to get your Calcium Carbonate into solution when you decide to make beer with it.
When your ready, bring the PH into range, oxygenate the wort and pitch your yeast.
In reasonable amounts I don't think you will get tremendous flavor contributions from the chalk.
Let us know how it works.

I wouldn't need the Calcium carbonate in solution for very long as it would neutralize the acid.
But I think I'll use Pickling Lime instead since its stronger and I can use less.

I don't want any flavor or mouthfeel from chalk. I'd be happy to try someone ELSES chalk beer though :fro:

Based on my past no-chill experience, and the experiences of others, just brew the beer without dropping the pH; it'll keep just fine. The longest I've ever gone is a month, but others have done up to 6 months with no ill effect.

If by some slight chance there are botulism spores, 6 months is long enough that they could grow and produce the toxin. The toxin is incredibly strong and even a tiny amount can kill or cause a hospital visit.

Just because it hasn't happened doesn't mean one shouldn't worry about it.
Most brewers that use No-Chill pitch the beer within a day or a few days, as opposed to months. There really isn't a large sample set of home brewers storing 5 gallons in a no chill container for months.

If by some slight chance there are botulism spores, 6 months is long enough that they could grow and produce the toxin. The toxin is incredibly strong and even a tiny amount can kill or cause a hospital visit.

Just because it hasn't happened doesn't mean one shouldn't worry about it.
Most brewers that use No-Chill pitch the beer within a day or a few days, as opposed to months. There really isn't a large sample set of home brewers storing 5 gallons in a no chill container for months.

I know the "just because it hasn't happened doesn't mean it can't happen" argument is sound, but brewers have been doing this for a long time, including long-term storage, and I can't find any references to actual cases of botulism poisoning. If such cases existed, I'm sure the victim (or their next of kin) would hop onto the forums to loudly proclaim that no-chilling made them sick/killed their loved one. Even poking around the Aussie Home Brewer board with the people who supposedly "invented" the technique I haven't found any actual reported cases.

It's your beer, and the method you're suggesting could certainly be a viable option, and it's always fun to experiment, but based on the practical data presented on this and other sites, it really seems like the risks are fairly minimal.

That said, I think the effects and risks of long-term storage of both straight no-chill and your method would make for a great study for the AHA Research and Education Fund, and could potentially put this debate to rest. Anyone wanna write a proposal?

For a long time, Brewers have been doing No-Chill where they use the wort within a week. Most brewers do not store that wort for months and then use it. How many brewers use NoChill? Thousands? Tens of thousands? But how many save their wort for months? Probably very very few.
Is it in the hundreds around the world? Less? Maybe we've read about a guy who knows someone who did this once. But how many batches are stored for months before being used? Maybe its 100? Or less? Thats not that large a sample size, especially if home brewing has been increasing in popularity and you can't extrapolate backwards using todays numbers.
Maybe the batch was infected with something else causing it to be dumped. Or it was bulging and discarded. We dont have the data.

Lets say the risk of Botulism in long term storage is 1 / 1,000,000
Very unlikely to happen, right? And it could even be lower.
If you brew with it, will you be willing to have the first beer and wait a week before sharing, just in case?

If it's easily preventable, by adding however many milliliters of Phosphoric Acid, then later on several grams of pickling lime, is that worth the effort (5 minutes) and minimal expense?

Adding the acid may also prevent spoilage if there are other more common bacteria, such as Acetobacter (which would have a hard time due to low O2 levels in any case). Mold and Bacteria in general don't like a low pH. Lacto will be ok, as will some other nasty bacteria, but in general, this acidification may help prevent the stored wort from going bad.
And if the risk is greater than 1 in a million, (say 1 in 100,000) then it becomes even more worthwhile.

I know the "just because it hasn't happened doesn't mean it can't happen" argument is sound, but brewers have been doing this for a long time, including long-term storage, and I can't find any references to actual cases of botulism poisoning. If such cases existed, I'm sure the victim (or their next of kin) would hop onto the forums to loudly proclaim that no-chilling made them sick/killed their loved one. Even poking around the Aussie Home Brewer board with the people who supposedly "invented" the technique I haven't found any actual reported cases.

It's your beer, and the method you're suggesting could certainly be a viable option, and it's always fun to experiment, but based on the practical data presented on this and other sites, it really seems like the risks are fairly minimal.

That said, I think the effects and risks of long-term storage of both straight no-chill and your method would make for a great study for the AHA Research and Education Fund, and could potentially put this debate to rest. Anyone wanna write a proposal?

Lets say the risk of Botulism in long term storage is 1 / 1,000,000
Very unlikely to happen, right? And it could even be lower.
If you brew with it, will you be willing to have the first beer and wait a week before sharing, just in case?

Honestly, yes. As brewers we use things that are likely to get us injured or killed, from glass carboys to propane to self-wired electric setups, so yes, I'd take those odds. That said, by referencing the Research and Education Fund I was suggesting something a little more scientific than 'brew, drink, wait.' Such a study would still be a small sample set, but could at least give us hints as to whether we should run for our lives or RDWHAHB.

Latest posts

Back