Taste between ferment and bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bearded_brew

Reaction score
Tasting between fermenter and the bottling, Is it a good indicator of the final product or does bottling process continue to change the taste?

I believe you can get a general idea of how your beer tastes but bottling makes all the difference.

I think its something that with time we will grow to understand how the taste will evolve. I'm still a new brewer but I taste everything, every step. Ask people that have come to my house on a brew day. If we bottle or transfer and your a new guy you taste the yeastcake. Chew some grains. Half a hop pellet chewed up. Samples. And lots of home brew to wash it down.
So to answer the question instead of rambling, yes I believe it is a indicator of what it will taste like but yes it will evolve and change with time.

general idea but thats still considered "green". That time spent carbing and conditioning will help clean up some of those sharp flavors so while u can get a general idea of a batch if its bad, if it tastes good before bottling, its more likely to get better after.

Agree with the above - it's a learned relationship. As my process gets better, the taste before bottled is getting to be very similar. Have noticed lately that the hop flavors get better after 3 weeks in the bottle as compared to before bottling.

You'll get an idea, but the taste will absolutely change. Carbonation also changes flavor perception.

Back