Taping temp probe to bucket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

colhep67

Reaction score
Ok so I have been reading this forum for a while. Well I'm on my fourth batch so far. Its a Red Ale and I finally got a temp controller for a coca cola fridge I have. Well my question is I taped the tip (very tip, like the end of it) to the side of the bucket like you guys said and covered it with bubble wrap like was stated. Is that the proper way?

This seems to be a very good batch for me (1.051 OG) and I really don't want to ruin it!

Thank you!

Yessir.. that's the way to do it. Just tape the whole probe to the bucket.. doesn't make any diff where the tape is. Main thing is to heavily insulate the area from surrounding temps of the fridge. Tape down the edges well to keep the ambient air away from the probe… Just don't put any insulation between the probe and the bucket.

I would recommend a thermowell. Basically it's a keg dip tube with one end pinched and welded shut. It will allow you to get the probe down into the wort without actually getting the probe wet.

I would recommend a thermowell. Basically it's a keg dip tube with one end pinched and welded shut. It will allow you to get the probe down into the wort without actually getting the probe wet.

Where can you find one of these?

You don't need a thermowell to get an accurate read with the probe. The way you're currently doing it is just fine.

Some HBT members have already gone to the trouble of taking simultaneous measurements to compare thermowell vs. taped to the side and insulated. The max difference was a negligible 1*F warmer in the middle vs the side. I'm not going to stick something into the middle of my fermenting brew for an insignificant reason like that, not to mention that the greater volume of the beer is in the outer portion of the cylindrical fermenter closer to the sides anyway.

I didn't wasnt to mess with taping anything to my fermenter so I use a couple of bungee cords to strap a 5"x5" double layer of blue sleeping mat to the fermenter (the cheap kind you get at Wal-Mart to put under your sleeping bag when camping).

I just take the probe from my STC-1000 and make sure to place it in the center of the pad up against the fermenter wall.

Easy to put on/take off. No tape goo on my fermenter.

You don't need a thermowell to get an accurate read with the probe. The way you're currently doing it is just fine.

Some HBT members have already gone to the trouble of taking simultaneous measurements to compare thermowell vs. taped to the side and insulated. The max difference was a negligible 1*F warmer in the middle vs the side. I'm not going to stick something into the middle of my fermenting brew for an insignificant reason like that, not to mention that the greater volume of the beer is in the outer portion of the cylindrical fermenter closer to the sides anyway.

+1.. I was all worried about this.. did some experiments at the height of fermentation.. found the same thing.. about 1* difference. The only reason I tape a probe to the carboy is when I've put the carboy in a temp controlled chest. Usually, I just put the carboy in a rope bucket with water using a stick on thermometer. Same findings… about 1* difference.

My two fears were: 1. Outside temp on the stick-on would affect the "true" reading of the beer. NOT! 2. The glass or plastic combined with the ambient room temp would skew the temperatures.. NOT!

So, my friend, fear not. Even if it were, say, 2* difference.. outside to inside.. unless you are at the extremes of the yeast temp range.. you will be jus' fine.

Thanks for all the replies! I'm probably gonna do the tie off thing next time. Not a big fan of all the tape on my bucket as well. But my brew is very active holding 65 degrees solid! Thanks again!

Back