tap vs bottled

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sputnam

Reaction score
i brewed 2 IPA's yesterday (identical in every way) except I used tap water in one and bottled spring water in the other. I used 2nd generation us-05 (1 month old). the one with bottled water got it's yeast maybe 20 minutes sooner than the tap water beer. Yeast activity started about 2 hours earlier in the bottled water version and 24 hours later the krausen is significantly larger (like 1/2 inch bigger). I do not have a water report and probably not gonna get one. I have always felt that there is something "different" and "better" about my beers over most commercial stuff so I thought it could just be that I have awesome water, hence the test. Anyway, first impressions are that the yeast like spring water better.
Could it be that the chemicals in tap water are hindering my yeast? I'm really looking forward to the final results.

I use a RV filter:

filter.jpg

Interesting. Now don't just drop this thread -- see it through. Let us know about the part that really matters, the taste. Maybe the tap water beer tastes better.

Interesting. Now don't just drop this thread -- see it through. Let us know about the part that really matters, the taste. Maybe the tap water beer tastes better.

in a blind taste test, my wife and I both prefer the tap water brew...it just has a better mouthfeel. Guess I'm one of the lucky ones. :rockin:

In this area, Ohio spring water works a tad better than tap water. It gives a bit better flavor I noticed the first time I used it. And the yeasties seem to like it better as well. I think the trace minerals are just right from the spring water to give them the boost they need.

Back