Tap Handle Ideas, Suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigFishBrewing

Reaction score
I am looking for some fish tap handles - preferably trout or salmon for my keezer. What I would really like to do is re-purpose something. I have scoured the net for commercially produced taps and other ideas and I am always looking in stores etc. but I can't find anything that is economical or of the design that I want. Any ideas or suggestions?

They make tap handle thread ferrule adapters. You could use some cheap pine stock and a jig saw, scroll saw, or even a coping saw to knock something fish-shaped together, paint it, and then use the ferrule adapter to make it into a tap handle.

Thanks! As I was hoping to re-purpose a 'found' object (trout/salmon) I was planning on using an adapter, however, I don't have the skill set to make a reasonable facsimile of a 'fish'. Any other ideas?

There is a way to transfer a color picture to a wood surface. I believe you need an ink jet printer, then a particular gel to get the ink to transfer, and smooth wood to put it on. I'm sure a search would find something quickly. So if you found a picture you liked, you could put it on wood and use the ferrule adapter to make it a handle.

Last edited:
Google replica toy fish. They have a ton of 3". 6", and larger ones in all breads of fish. You could easily drill a hole in the fish, then run threaded metal rod inside of the fish and fill with epoxy. Make sure to leave enough of the threaded rod to attach a tap handle ferrule to. Or you could make a wood handle then epoxy the fish to the wood. You could laser engrave the beer name or brewery name on the side of the wood which would look BadA$$.

Thanks for the responses to my post several weeks ago. I made a trip down to the local Bass Pro and found these 6" lead halibut jigs. I contacted kegerator.com and they gave me some good ideas on how to mount and put me in touch with a company on Etsy - Beer Peripherals. They gave me some great ideas on how to mount and carried a full line of tap handle ferrules. I bought two 1.25" aluminum ferrules and then drilled the top of the ferrules out to a bit more than the 3/8ths thread diameter. Then I used my grinder to grind the fish tails down to a size that would fit snugly and welded them in with JB Weld Original (its the strongest of their product line.)
Here's how they turned out. (I can't tell if they're hokey or not so I am just going sit in my lazy boy and stare at them for a few weeks.)
Ps. You can infer from my avatar that my garage home brewery has a fishing theme.
7i2CANs.jpg
[/IMG]
q6mcxFS.jpg
[/IMG]

Back